Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Windows 11 leaked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Yes. And his sister Lucix still pulls away the football from Charlex.
    This whole changing letters to "x" like in Latino and Latina to Latinx, is just getting outta hand.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      This whole changing letters to "x" like in Latino and Latina to Latinx, is just getting outta hand.
      Yex.

Comment

Well, building my own ISO using the Windows 10/11 hybrid was a no-go because I couldn't get it to boot. The first try gave an error message saying it wasn't a valid disk, and with the second try it just sat and did nothing.

It looks like my best bet will be just to install 10, disable all the special effects in the system properties settings and set a high-contrast theme*, and then try upgrading it to 11. It'll be that or bust.

Will get back to you guys on how that turns out.

* My theory is that 11 will carry over the settings from 10 and keep the special effects disabled so that it won't need DirectX 12 for basic desktop operations.
        ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Well Theologyweb runs on linux, so I had to relearn it in order to update our software. I actually learned on Unix, back in the day, but they are very similar. I also got a Raspberry Pi for Christmas a few years ago and it runs Linux too so I have been playing with that. I found a project online called Retro Pie, that turns the Raspberry Pi into an arcade emulator. So that was fun. You can download all the old arcade roms from Archive.org.

Ubuntu and Debian seem to be the most user friendly versions of Linux out there. They each have built in windows-like interfaces. And you can even install them on a flash drive then do a dual boot thing. You can tell your PC to boot from the flash drive and it will boot into linux so you can have both windows and linux. I actually installed the retro pie software on a ubuntu flash drive and added some roms and now I basically have an arcade machine on a keychain flash drive.
          Yup - used to play with those a lot. There was a time when you just couldn't get drivers to keep up with all the new hardware, but that changed, too - as in got a lot better.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Yup - used to play with those a lot. There was a time when you just couldn't get drivers to keep up with all the new hardware, but that changed, too - as in got a lot better.
            Yeah it's a lot more like installing windows now. It installs the desktop OS and then does the automatic hardware check and downloads drivers and keeps everything up to date more or less automatically.

Comment

Well, I tried updating 10 to 11 and it wouldn't let me. I even found a good ISO editing program and tried again to swap out the "sources" folder like before, and got the image to boot -- but even that wouldn't let me install it.

Maybe one day I'll get to see it in action with some newer hardware, and see whether my game will work with it -- but for now I have to give up trying it with what we've already got.

[Edit: Sparky's offered to test it for me; split the reply posts off to here.]
              Last edited by The Melody Maker; 10-22-2021, 09:47 PM.
              ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Gotta friend with his car sitting in a mechanic's shop since the first part of the month waiting for a certain computer chip to become available that isn't due to supply chain problems.
                Yeah, I lucked out in getting a PC right before all of that hit the fan. Considering the GPU current cost I have I got a very good price on this PC. It should hopefully last until all of this starts to calm down. I've got an RTX 2070 right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

Yeah, I lucked out in getting a PC right before all of that hit the fan. Considering the GPU current cost I have I got a very good price on this PC. It should hopefully last until all of this starts to calm down. I've got an RTX 2070 right now.
                  I built my desktop computer about a year ago, but I just reused an old Radeon HD 5750 graphics card that is 11 years old. It still works pretty good and I am running 3 1080P monitors on it. But it definitely isn't Windows 11 compatible. I will have to update it if I want to put W11 on it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
                    Well, I tried updating 10 to 11 and it wouldn't let me. I even found a good ISO editing program and tried again to swap out the "sources" folder like before, and got the image to boot -- but even that wouldn't let me install it.

Maybe one day I'll get to see it in action with some newer hardware, and see whether my game will work with it -- but for now I have to give up trying it with what we've already got.

[Edit: Sparky's offered to test it for me; split the reply posts off to here.]
                    I am getting Windows messages to upgrade to Win 11 for free, but I am hesitant.

Is anyone here using it yet? Reading its specifications, Microsoft admits that some apps that work on 10 may not work on 11, and that worries me. The only advantages I am seeing to 11 right now is greater/more convenient social media access, which I couldn't care less about. I have music and movie apps that I use nearly every day and I wouldn't want them to go belly up. Too expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Is anyone here using it yet? Reading its specifications, Microsoft admits that some apps that work on 10 may not work on 11, and that worries me. The only advantages I am seeing to 11 right now is greater/more convenient social media access, which I couldn't care less about. I have music and movie apps that I use nearly every day and I wouldn't want them to go belly up. Too expensive.
                      My laptop is giving me the notices too. I am planning on waiting a couple of months at least. Give software vendors time to release patches and drivers, and microsoft to fix various bugs that inevitably occur with a new release. And to see what people are saying about W11, is it good? bad?

Comment

I just got Windows10 about a year and a half ago and I have an icon for upgrading to 11

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I got in touch with a friend of mine who previously worked for Microsoft. He added that 11 has better security, especially with the boot process, but even he isn't in a hurry to make the switch. He said he would wait at least a year, maybe longer.

Comment

I got in touch with a friend of mine who previously worked for Microsoft. He added that 11 has better security, especially with the boot process, but even he isn't in a hurry to make the switch. He said he would wait at least a year, maybe longer.
                            I waited about a year to upgrade to Windows 10 from 7. Skipped 8 altogether.

Comment

I waited about a year to upgrade to Windows 10 from 7. Skipped 8 altogether.
                              8 was horrible. I still have nightmares

Comment

8 was horrible. I still have nightmares
                                which is another reason to hesitant about W11. Seems like every other windows release was bad. ME bad, XP good, Vista bad, 7 good, 8 bad, 10 good. 11?

Comment