Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Windows 11 leaked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Melody Maker
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Have the said anything at all yet about the "end of life" of Win10?
    It looks like Windows 10 will still be supported through October 14, 2025. But I already know my game works with 10, because I had to make a minor fix to it 6 years ago after 10 was released -- so it works with everything from 95 up to 10.

It's just 11 I'm in the dark about right now.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
    I just tried twice to install it in a VM on Mr. mossy's 9 1/2 year old W7 computer, which is the most powerful one we've got. Both times the installer stopped saying that it doesn't meet the system requirements, so short of eventually getting a new computer we've got no way to see it in action. So much for trying to see whether my game will work with it, at least for now.
    Have the said anything at all yet about the "end of life" of Win10?

Leave a comment:

• The Melody Maker
    replied
    I just tried twice to install it in a VM on Mr. mossy's 9 1/2 year old W7 computer, which is the most powerful one we've got. Both times the installer stopped saying that it doesn't meet the system requirements, so short of eventually getting a new computer we've got no way to see it in action. So much for trying to see whether my game will work with it, at least for now.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    So W11 has been out for a bit over a week now. Anyone install it yet?

My laptop says it is windows 11 ready but it hasn't been offered to me yet in windows update. Even if it were I am gonna hold off for a few months or more to make sure all the vendors have time to push out any driver or software updates, and give microsoft enough time to push out some updates.

I am also waiting on reviews. Going by past windows releases, Windows 11 is due to be another crappy release. Seems like every other release of Windows sucks.
    Windows ME sucked, Windows XP was good, Vista sucked (but was pretty), W7 was good. W8 sucked, W10 was good.
    I liked 8 -- at that time, I administered over 400 computers, most of which were Win8, and it was the most stable and least error prone OS I had experienced.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    So W11 has been out for a bit over a week now. Anyone install it yet?

My laptop says it is windows 11 ready but it hasn't been offered to me yet in windows update. Even if it were I am gonna hold off for a few months or more to make sure all the vendors have time to push out any driver or software updates, and give microsoft enough time to push out some updates.

I am also waiting on reviews. Going by past windows releases, Windows 11 is due to be another crappy release. Seems like every other release of Windows sucks.
    Windows ME sucked, Windows XP was good, Vista sucked (but was pretty), W7 was good. W8 sucked, W10 was good.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    I will probably wait a few months before upgrading to windows 11 on my laptop, depending on what the response is from the early adopters. On my desktop computers, I would need to buy new graphics card in order to run W11 and right now the graphics card prices are WAY overpriced because of cryptomining and chip shortages because of COVID. A $400 card goes for around $800-$1200 right now. It's crazy.

Leave a comment:

• Ronson
    replied
    You know, I actually hope it isn't tailored for ultra-easy usage. I think part of the problem of the recent 'dumbing down' of the world is that technology has become too easy; no one is expected to think their way out of a paper bag, so they don't.

I had to load the apps "Cinema" and "Nova" on my Amazon Firestick for my TV streaming. They aren't included in the Amazon app store so they have to be located online, and then the instructions include changing a few Firestick settings to allow the download and installation. A couple of my friends said "too complicated" and gave up, so I did it for them. These friends aren't idiots but they're conditioned to be brain lazy. It's something I didn't see very much of back in the last century.

Leave a comment:

• The Melody Maker
    replied
    It looks like October 5 will be the official release date:
    https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...-on-october-5/

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    I have a leaky window in one of my bedrooms. One of the panes is cracked and if the wind blows right during a real hard rain, moisture beads up along the crack.

At least it isn't eleven leaky windows.

Leave a comment:

• NorrinRadd
    replied
    Script for downloading Windows retail ISOs.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
    It looks like some preview releases are available now for Windows Insiders.

https://insider.windows.com/en-us/?u...p-nl-70-header

I might try to see how hard it would be to install it in a virtual machine. (What I should have done before messing around with my laptop. )

Quick edit to add: I misread the page I linked to above; apparently the releases there are previews of new upcoming builds of Windows 10. After looking around, I figured out that some time next week they'll be releasing some preview builds of Windows 11.
    As hard as it seems to be to have compatible hardware to run W11, I would think running it in a virtual machine would be even harder. The host computer not only has to be able to run W11, but the virtual machine has to be able to emulate that hardware (or pass it through).

Leave a comment:

• Stoic
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Well some of my PCs and old laptops won't run W11. I rand the system check and they failed because W11 requires a DirectX 12 or greater video card. I can upgrade my desktop graphics cards (expensive) but my old laptops are out of luck.
    My Windows laptop won't run W10, so I'm assuming it won't run W11 either.

I do most everything on my Chromebook these days.

Leave a comment:

• The Melody Maker
    replied
    It looks like some preview releases are available now for Windows Insiders.

https://insider.windows.com/en-us/?u...p-nl-70-header

I might try to see how hard it would be to install it in a virtual machine. (What I should have done before messing around with my laptop. )

Quick edit to add: I misread the page I linked to above; apparently the releases there are previews of new upcoming builds of Windows 10. After looking around, I figured out that some time next week they'll be releasing some preview builds of Windows 11.
    Last edited by The Melody Maker; 07-01-2021, 05:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• The Melody Maker
    replied
    I guess I'm not trying Windows 11 when it's released, after all. I just ran the system check on my lappy and it told me that the CPU is incompatible. Looks like I'll be taking it back to 8.1, and for now will just have to trust that my game will run on 11.

And apparently Windows 9 was a real thing, though better known as the unreleased "Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzSSidHU54g

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Well some of my PCs and old laptops won't run W11. I rand the system check and they failed because W11 requires a DirectX 12 or greater video card. I can upgrade my desktop graphics cards (expensive) but my old laptops are out of luck.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11
    min requirements.
    Processor 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with 2 or more cores on a compatible 64-bit processor or System on a Chip (SoC)
    Memory 4 GB RAM
    Storage 64 GB or larger storage device
    System firmware UEFI, Secure Boot capable
    TPM Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0
    Graphics card DirectX 12 compatible graphics / WDDM 2.x
    Display >9” with HD Resolution (720p)
    Internet connection Microsoft account and internet connectivity required for setup for Windows 11 Home
    The UEFI requirement might also be a problem for one of my PCs.

Leave a comment: