Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Insert Bad Words Here - Website Building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insert Bad Words Here - Website Building

Watched seven or eight tutorials. Followed the theme's tutorial step by step. Then realized they were skipping a step!

Now I have two versions of my site, neither of which is right.

I'm thinking of taking up drinking before I try again. I'm the one on the left...

On the bright side, I have my logo done - and I did it on my drawing tablet yesterday ( See, I did too use it!). And it looks great... on the sample page the stupid tutorial had me put it on.

No idea how to get it where it belongs - when I try to get to where I can change it, it doesn't go there. And it took ten minutes to figure out how to get there the first time because the tutorial skips A LOT of steps.

Okay, fudge now. Round two later...

Anyone know of a tutorial for us ACTUAL BEGINNERS?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

I thought this was gonna be a thread where I could teach y'all how to swear all proper like.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

http://lissaexplains.com/

Not sure if that would help you or not, but it was the first tutorial I ever stumbled across many years ago.
      ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        I thought this was gonna be a thread where I could teach y'all how to swear all proper like.
        Right... I'm trying to be good here!
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
          http://lissaexplains.com/

Not sure if that would help you or not, but it was the first tutorial I ever stumbled across many years ago.
          Thanks - but I'm not trying to learn to code.

yeah, yeah, I know....

But, thanks anyway!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

Right... I'm trying to be good here!
            I guess the interwebz does make it all too easy to learn naughty words.

Folks should pick them up on the streets and out of the gutter like nature intended.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I suggest you use one of the free website hosting companies that supplies template built websites. You choose your theme, upload graphics, add the text and choose your domain name (they usually will let you pick from a list of available domains which you can then add a custom prefex, like Teal.catlovers.com or teal.Ihatesquirrels.com)

https://sites.google.com/
              https://www.wix.com/
              https://www.squarespace.com

review of various free sites:
              https://www.websitebuilderexpert.com...builders/free/

Last edited by Sparko; 05-28-2021, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Folks should pick them up on the streets and out of the gutter like nature intended.
                Amateurs pick them up on the streets. Professionals pick them up at sea.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

Amateurs pick them up on the streets. Professionals pick them up at sea.

Pfft. If I so desire I could make the saltiest of sailor blush -- as well as retreating to a dictionary to look up some of the words I used (and throw up a little in their mouth when they find out what they mean).

Unfortunately, due to the sort of work I've been doing the last two decades I'm around a lot of folks who think the f-bomb needs to be in every sentence and will basically ignore you until you cuss them out (they don't take it seriously until then), which has led to me to be far freer with that sort of language than I ever was.

Around 2004 I was walking through a warehouse with one of the district bosses I'd become friends with when some idiot, ignoring all safety protocols, dumped a pallet on my toes. I let loose with a few choice words in pain. My boss looked at me and said, I've never heard you swear before (we knew each other for nearly three years), but when you do, you're really creative.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    I suggest you use one of the free website hosting companies that supplies template built websites. You choose your theme, upload graphics, add the text and choose your domain name (they usually will let you pick from a list of available domains which you can then add a custom prefex, like Teal.catlovers.com or teal.Ihatesquirrels.com)

https://sites.google.com/
                    https://www.wix.com/
                    https://www.squarespace.com

review of various free sites:
                    https://www.websitebuilderexpert.com...builders/free/
                    Er, I already paid for hosting on Bluehost. I didn't care for Wix when I tried it a few years ago and don't get me started about Squarespace where I had Feline-Great. Google sites is fine for hobbyists (wanna see my Hand Gonnes site?! No, I didn't misspell it. Medieval 'handgun' - cannon on a stick!!!!) but I'm starting a business.

So I have Bluehost and was trying to use Astra for the theme/template but it doesn't want to play nice with WP. For that matter, the default themes aren't quite right - or they are really limited, not sure which. Bluehost IT got the customizer to work but only with the default themes.

I've built WP.com sites (my blog is there) and done a lot on both Google Sites and Squarespace - which means I have more experience than I thought I did...

Anyway, I have questions in on a couple forums and someone has said he'll try to help. I've been fooling around with the existing templates and figuring out how things work - but I think something is still off. Anyway, I'll keep at it until it works.

Thanks!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Um, Sparky, how do you make a background transparent in GIMP? I'd like my logo to have a transparent background - but layers are still alien to me.

And I need to learn...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I did it! I made a transparent background for my logo!!!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Um, Sparky, how do you make a background transparent in GIMP? I'd like my logo to have a transparent background - but layers are still alien to me.

And I need to learn...
                          I have no idea. I don't use gimp. In photoshop you just need to create a mask around the object and the rest becomes transparent.

What software are you using in this "bluehost" site to build your website?
                          Is it some website building software they provide like WIX or are you using something on your PC and uploading it to bluehost?

Comment

Bluehost is the hosting service. I ended up using the wordpress theme.

The site went live today.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Bluehost is the hosting service. I ended up using the wordpress theme.

The site went live today.
                              link?

Comment