Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

What to Buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post

Keep in mind, if you use one of those with a desktop computer that has a video card you want to use instead of the CPU's integrated graphics, you still have to plug the video cable into the video card directly, instead of the docking station.
    Depends on the intensity of the video processing requirements -- I have quite a few of these in operation with zero problems with video. My grandson plays some intensive video games on the one at home, and has never had a problem with the video.

But, yes, if you want to use the desktop's video card, of course you have to plug your monitor into that. This was offering an alternative.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Depends on the intensity of the video processing requirements -- I have quite a few of these in operation with zero problems with video. My grandson plays some intensive video games on the one at home, and has never had a problem with the video.

But, yes, if you want to use the desktop's video card, of course you have to plug your monitor into that. This was offering an alternative.
      She's talking about doing video editing. She'll need a video card eventually. These docking stations are limited to integrated graphics, if you plug the video cable into the docking station instead of the video card.

As far as games running on integrated graphics, most games have reduced graphics settings to allow it to run on almost any hardware. It doesn't mean it will look good, but it will run. Video editing isn't like that. You need decent hardware for it if you're going to do any amount of it.
      Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

She's talking about doing video editing. She'll need a video card eventually. These docking stations are limited to integrated graphics, if you plug the video cable into the docking station instead of the video card.

As far as games running on integrated graphics, most games have reduced graphics settings to allow it to run on almost any hardware. It doesn't mean it will look good, but it will run. Video editing isn't like that. You need decent hardware for it if you're going to do any amount of it.
        Given they have optimized some games to run on something like the Nintendo Switch, they definitely can get stuff optimized for other systems with either low end graphics cards, or integrated graphics cards.

Comment

Yes, I'm aware of that -- I was simply giving another option until one HAS the video card they want.

Yes, I get that, too.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Here's my wife's temporary "home office" setup with her company laptop, 2 monitors (both HDMI) and everything plugged into the "dock" at the far left.

2021-05-04 20.19.38.jpg
            computers - Copy.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              OK, you just wait til I get to my Church Office inner sanctum! I'll show YOU!!!!

Comment

OK, you just wait til I get to my Church Office inner sanctum! I'll show YOU!!!!
                And clean up all that cord mess on the floor!!! Zip tie it to the bottoms of the tables, you mangy pirate!

Comment

And clean up all that cord mess on the floor!!! Zip tie it to the bottoms of the tables, you mangy pirate!
                  As soon as I do that, then I need to move something or access a cable that is all tied up!

Oh and I am running all that and doing video editing on a 12 year old ATI Radeon 5870 graphics card. I think the modern integrated GPUs should be at least as good as that. I would be using the built in graphics but I needed 3 monitors so I stuck with the old radeon card which seems to be working find. I have 16GB RAM and a Ryzen 3 CPU. It's not exactly lightning fast at rendering video from Premiere but it does the job.

Comment

As soon as I do that, then I need to move something or access a cable that is all tied up!
                    Same here, that's why I have zip ties with "loops" in them - not tied tight - so I can route cables through, or remove ones I'm no longer using.

Oh and I am running all that and doing video editing on a 12 year old ATI Radeon 5870 graphics card. I think the modern integrated GPUs should be at least as good as that. I would be using the built in graphics but I needed 3 monitors so I stuck with the old radeon card which seems to be working find. I have 16GB RAM and a Ryzen 3 CPU. It's not exactly lightning fast at rendering video from Premiere but it does the job.
                    I'll leave all that video editing to you guys. I have people.

Comment

I use these guys....

zip ties eyes.jpg
                      A short pan-head screw up into the bottom of the table, leaving a loop in the zip tie for the cables to pass through.

Attached Files

Comment

Same here, that's why I have zip ties with "loops" in them - not tied tight - so I can route cables through, or remove ones I'm no longer using.

I'll leave all that video editing to you guys. I have people.
                        well right now the hdmi cables aren't long enough to do that and still be able to pull out the computer when I need to get to the back. besides, it's the industrial jury-rigged look that proves I am a real computer professional like the hacker set ups you see in movies!

898a4a3ef463cb59aa41b5ab4fc9334eff57ef8f.jpg

Comment

I want this:

J20-Gaming-Computer-Workstation-Positions.gif

Comment

well right now the hdmi cables aren't long enough to do that and still be able to pull out the computer when I need to get to the back. besides, it's the industrial jury-rigged look that proves I am a real computer professional like the hacker set ups you see in movies!

898a4a3ef463cb59aa41b5ab4fc9334eff57ef8f.jpg

Can't argue with that.
                            Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

So a thunderstorm knocked out power here for three days - well, I had power but my internet provider didn't so...

Anyway, I see y'all have been having fun.

Okay, docking station is for multiple monitors and would probably be fine as a stopgap between getting the computer and deciding to make it part of my Bionic Man playset (Steve Austin action figure not included ). I will still need to upgrade once I am sure I will be doing video editing on a regular basis.

At that point people who have debated what computer to buy over 6 pages are going to talk me through putting Humpty back together again after I gut his video card and power supply - this somehow being the economical route...

Sure, I'm game.

So, I'm ordering something next Wednesday that may or may not need the monitor cable already ordered and I need a new ethernet cable. I should be able to use it with my monitor out of the box for now and I will be starting a thread on video cards next month.

Any further debate on what I should actually buy ? The wait means I have a slightly higher budget - so is everyone good with the $365 machine Sparky found ?

Also, velcro cable ties are better than zip ties.
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

desk.jpg

Comment