Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

What to Buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Needs more cow bell.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

So a thunderstorm knocked out power here for three days - well, I had power but my internet provider didn't so...

Anyway, I see y'all have been having fun.

Okay, docking station is for multiple monitors and would probably be fine as a stopgap between getting the computer and deciding to make it part of my Bionic Man playset (Steve Austin action figure not included ). I will still need to upgrade once I am sure I will be doing video editing on a regular basis.

At that point people who have debated what computer to buy over 6 pages are going to talk me through putting Humpty back together again after I gut his video card and power supply - this somehow being the economical route...

Sure, I'm game.

So, I'm ordering something next Wednesday that may or may not need the monitor cable already ordered and I need a new ethernet cable. I should be able to use it with my monitor out of the box for now and I will be starting a thread on video cards next month.

Any further debate on what I should actually buy ? The wait means I have a slightly higher budget - so is everyone good with the $365 machine Sparky found ?

Also, velcro cable ties are better than zip ties.
      The one Sparko found, I went ahead and read a bunch of the customer Q&As on it. It looks like it is one of those ones where they have one listing for several similar models, and the specs listed are a "you'll get at least this" kind of deal. So some people got full size cases, some got small form factor cases but could still fit a half-height graphics card in it. Some people got different power supplies, but apparently HP motherboards have a proprietary power connector that you need to get an adapter for if you need to swap it out. Some people got power supplies that could handle a video card, and some needed to upgrade the power supply first.
      ​​​​
      I wonder if you could talk to the seller before ordering to make sure you get a full size case because those will be easier to upgrade later. Your options will be better because you won't be limited by what will physically fit.
      Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

I will try.

Okay, I don't want to keep second guessing myself - or to seem ungrateful for all the time and effort y'all have put into helping me - but since I have waited this long I have a $500 budget instead of my original $300. Is there anything else I should look for or at before buying this one? I admit the case thing concerns me as does the expansion expectation.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I will try.

Okay, I don't want to keep second guessing myself - or to seem ungrateful for all the time and effort y'all have put into helping me - but since I have waited this long I have a $500 budget instead of my original $300. Is there anything else I should look for or at before buying this one? I admit the case thing concerns me as does the expansion expectation.
          Just so you know, a good graphics card for doing video is going to cost you several hundred dollars just by itself, if you ever decide to upgrade. They usually start at around $400 and can go up to over a $1,000. Anything cheaper would be no better than the built in graphics chip.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Just so you know, a good graphics card for doing video is going to cost you several hundred dollars just by itself, if you ever decide to upgrade. They usually start at around $400 and can go up to over a $1,000. Anything cheaper would be no better than the built in graphics chip.
            I think I paid about $400 for mine, an overclocked RTX 2060 Super, in December 2019. However that card isn't really available anymore and is somehow $1600 on Newegg, shipping from China. I guess the shortages are still really bad.

To select a video card, I recommend looking at ranked lists of currently available cards, because they'll have the price/performance ratios and everything you could want to know about each card. That way you'll know that you're getting your money's worth.

Tom's Hardware is a useful site, and here's their rankings of all the currently available cards, and some not-so-available ones (their ranking also covers integrated graphics, which are at the very bottom):
            https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...rchy,4388.html
            On that page they talk a bit about shortages driving up prices.

Here's a website that compares cards based on actual tests run on real computers, using software downloaded from the site:
            https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/
            That one is useful because you can see how the cards perform in real-world use, and not just based on the theoretical performance the manufacturer will tell you about.
            Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

OK Check out this one:

https://www.amazon.com/HP-EliteDesk-...rs=17871138011

HP EliteDesk 800 G1 Tower,
              • Intel Core i7-4770 3.4Ghz,
              • 2TB HDD,
              • 16GB DDR3 Ram,
              • DVD-ROM,
              • (4) USB 3.0, (6) USB 2.0
              • RJ-45, (2) PS/2, VGA, (2) Display Port, Serial Port
              • Keyboard and Mouse Included

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Renewed)

$365

41nzuzR%2BrSL._AC_SX466_.jpg

more from HP.com
              https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03808397

VGA and Displayport.
              17.4 x 6.7 x 15.7 inches

Is this a good case size?
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

17.4 x 6.7 x 15.7 inches

Is this a good case size?
                I'd say that is a pretty good size case. It isn't going to fit a ton of extra hard drives, but it should definitely fit most stuff you would need.

Comment

Thanks - it's what the specs say.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

OK Check out this one:

https://www.amazon.com/HP-EliteDesk-...rs=17871138011

HP EliteDesk 800 G1 Tower,
                    • Intel Core i7-4770 3.4Ghz,
                    • 2TB HDD,
                    • 16GB DDR3 Ram,
                    • DVD-ROM,
                    • (4) USB 3.0, (6) USB 2.0
                    • RJ-45, (2) PS/2, VGA, (2) Display Port, Serial Port
                    • Keyboard and Mouse Included

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Renewed)

$365

41nzuzR%2BrSL._AC_SX466_.jpg

more from HP.com
                    https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03808397

VGA and Displayport.
                    Ordered this this morning. Due to arrive between May 24 and May 27.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Posting to you from my new (to me) HP Elite Desk! I could fit four cats (two normal sized) comfortably in the case so I think we're good there. It does have as DVD slot and the wifi doggle works fine!

It didn't come with a mouse and keyboard and my mouse decided not to play, so I had to buy a new one, along with extra ethernet cable just in case and a new mouse pad - but I'm not complaining. It came with a monitor cord and two power cords () so I don't yet need the new cord I bought - but I'm thinking new monitor sometime soon anyway.

I'll probably get a new keyboard next month - especially if I can't get Dragon to work. We'll see.

Anywho, Thanks soooooooo much, everyone!!!!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Posting to you from my new (to me) HP Elite Desk! I could fit four cats (two normal sized) comfortably in the case so I think we're good there. It does have as DVD slot and the wifi doggle works fine!

It didn't come with a mouse and keyboard and my mouse decided not to play, so I had to buy a new one, along with extra ethernet cable just in case and a new mouse pad - but I'm not complaining. It came with a monitor cord and two power cords () so I don't yet need the new cord I bought - but I'm thinking new monitor sometime soon anyway.

I'll probably get a new keyboard next month - especially if I can't get Dragon to work. We'll see.

Anywho, Thanks soooooooo much, everyone!!!!
                        Only Teal would measure capacity by the number of cats something could contain

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You're just jealous you can't get four squirrels in yours.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

You're just jealous you can't get four squirrels in yours.
                            Pfft. I can get four squirrels in my pants.

Er, not that I've tried.

Or would want to.

Or am currently wearing pants.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Ethernet cable is measured in cats too.

s-l300.jpg

Comment

Cats are a purfectly good unit of measure.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment