Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Drawing tablet with screen - recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QuantaFille
    replied
    This is probably my worst work ever... Not to mention my copperplate is a bit rusty.

I did this in an app (ibisPaint) on my phone, using the new tablet. I set up a pen in the app to use pressure to alter the line width. I need to experiment with the pressure curve to get it closer to using a real nib, but the default is pretty good for a default. This app has guidelines but I haven't learned how to use them yet so this is freehand.

The app does not do vectors, but it does export to .png which Inkscape can convert to vector format. So I can use this tablet away from my computer if I need to.

Untitled1_20211220195126.png

Leave a comment:

• QuantaFille
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Does your tablet and software recognize the angle of the stylus so you can do the calligraphy like you were using a calligraphy pen?
    Yes. That's one of the reasons I didn't want something that isn't a dedicated drawing device.

Obviously, using a digital drawing pen is not like a calligraphy pen. The movements are different, tilting the pen rather than rotating it. But there is a way to make the stylus draw like a copperplate nib, using pressure levels to modify the line width, which is how a real copperplate nib works. I'm excited to try that, but tonight I have to make bubble bath for Christmas presents for my nieces and nephews. I should have some time next week to practice.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post

I need to go over a few tutorials for using Inkscape for calligraphy. I usually use guidelines when I use traditional pens on paper, and there are guidelines in Inkscape but I haven't figured out how to make them slant yet. That example I posted was completely freehand (obviously!) so you can see I really rely on those guidelines.
    Does your tablet and software recognize the angle of the stylus so you can do the calligraphy like you were using a calligraphy pen?

Leave a comment:

• QuantaFille
    replied

Looks good to me!
    I need to go over a few tutorials for using Inkscape for calligraphy. I usually use guidelines when I use traditional pens on paper, and there are guidelines in Inkscape but I haven't figured out how to make them slant yet. That example I posted was completely freehand (obviously!) so you can see I really rely on those guidelines.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    I just tried Inkscape. I should have gone to bed an hour ago.

As you can see, writing on this thing is going to take some getting used to.

test resized.jpg
    Looks good to me!

Leave a comment:

• QuantaFille
    replied
    I just tried Inkscape. I should have gone to bed an hour ago.

As you can see, writing on this thing is going to take some getting used to.

test resized.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied

I will once I have something. I have a few days off work around Christmas so I may have some time then.

Drawing on something not meant for drawing with a stylus not meant for drawing will always be awkward. That's why I wanted a drawing tablet specifically, and not just a make-do solution like a touchscreen laptop with stylus.

That's basically what I was doing before, only I had to do all the computer part with a mouse. Now that is super awkward. I did the calligraphy for my wedding invitations that way.
    I have noticed that when doing vector drawings, like in Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator, you don't really do much "drawing" with the mouse (or tablet) it is more about creating Bezier curves by creating points and then dragging handles to form them into the right shapes. Which works best when you are tracing over something so you can line everything up.

html5-canvas-bezier-curves-diagram.png

Leave a comment:

• QuantaFille
    replied
    Post some drawings!
    I will once I have something. I have a few days off work around Christmas so I may have some time then.

I have a touch screen laptop, but I still find it awkward to draw on the screen.
    Drawing on something not meant for drawing with a stylus not meant for drawing will always be awkward. That's why I wanted a drawing tablet specifically, and not just a make-do solution like a touchscreen laptop with stylus.

​​​​I usually end up sketching something on paper with a pencil or pen, then photographing it, importing it into a drawing program like Corel draw, then tracing over it in the program and coloring it in.

I wanted to draw a cartoon of my dog Jake, so first I sketched it on paper:

jakesketch.jpg

Then I imported it into Corel Draw and traced over it, then cleaned it up and colored it. The final version:

jakefinal.jpg
    That's basically what I was doing before, only I had to do all the computer part with a mouse. Now that is super awkward. I did the calligraphy for my wedding invitations that way.

Leave a comment:

• Faber
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

To delete a file, turn the device upside down and shake it.
    To save a file, don't turn the device upside down and shake it.
    dilbert.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Faber View Post
    To delete a file, turn the device upside down and shake it.
    To save a file, don't turn the device upside down and shake it.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    I have a touch screen laptop, but I still find it awkward to draw on the screen. I usually end up sketching something on paper with a pencil or pen, then photographing it, importing it into a drawing program like Corel draw, then tracing over it in the program and coloring it in.

I wanted to draw a cartoon of my dog Jake, so first I sketched it on paper:

jakesketch.jpg

Then I imported it into Corel Draw and traced over it, then cleaned it up and colored it. The final version:

jakefinal.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    So, I just got a tablet. This is the one I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08LY...b_b_asin_image

By the time I was ready to buy it, I had $200 worth of Amazon gift cards, plus Amazon had a coupon for it so I really got it for about half price.

It is compatible with my cell phone, but I haven't yet found a drawing app for Android that works well with the tablet. I can also use it with my computer, and I've tried it with GIMP and it works really well so far. I also installed Inkscape on my computer (but haven't used it yet) because I'm going to need to make vector graphics, and also because it is supposed to make calligraphy easy. If I can write directly on the tablet without having to scan handwritten paper to clean up on the tablet, that will eliminate a step from my process.

I might have a chance tonight after work to play with it some. I am still on overtime at work so I don't get much time.
    Post some drawings!

Leave a comment:

• QuantaFille
    replied
    So, I just got a tablet. This is the one I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08LY...b_b_asin_image

By the time I was ready to buy it, I had $200 worth of Amazon gift cards, plus Amazon had a coupon for it so I really got it for about half price.

It is compatible with my cell phone, but I haven't yet found a drawing app for Android that works well with the tablet. I can also use it with my computer, and I've tried it with GIMP and it works really well so far. I also installed Inkscape on my computer (but haven't used it yet) because I'm going to need to make vector graphics, and also because it is supposed to make calligraphy easy. If I can write directly on the tablet without having to scan handwritten paper to clean up on the tablet, that will eliminate a step from my process.

I might have a chance tonight after work to play with it some. I am still on overtime at work so I don't get much time.

Leave a comment:

• DesertBerean
    replied

It's connected to the computer, so whatever you draw on the tablet appears on the computer screen.
    Ah! Ok! Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Faber
    replied
    etch a sketch.jpg

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X