Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Drawing tablet with screen - recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Looks good to me!
    I need to go over a few tutorials for using Inkscape for calligraphy. I usually use guidelines when I use traditional pens on paper, and there are guidelines in Inkscape but I haven't figured out how to make them slant yet. That example I posted was completely freehand (obviously!) so you can see I really rely on those guidelines.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post

I need to go over a few tutorials for using Inkscape for calligraphy. I usually use guidelines when I use traditional pens on paper, and there are guidelines in Inkscape but I haven't figured out how to make them slant yet. That example I posted was completely freehand (obviously!) so you can see I really rely on those guidelines.
      Does your tablet and software recognize the angle of the stylus so you can do the calligraphy like you were using a calligraphy pen?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Does your tablet and software recognize the angle of the stylus so you can do the calligraphy like you were using a calligraphy pen?
        Yes. That's one of the reasons I didn't want something that isn't a dedicated drawing device.

Obviously, using a digital drawing pen is not like a calligraphy pen. The movements are different, tilting the pen rather than rotating it. But there is a way to make the stylus draw like a copperplate nib, using pressure levels to modify the line width, which is how a real copperplate nib works. I'm excited to try that, but tonight I have to make bubble bath for Christmas presents for my nieces and nephews. I should have some time next week to practice.

Comment

This is probably my worst work ever... Not to mention my copperplate is a bit rusty.

I did this in an app (ibisPaint) on my phone, using the new tablet. I set up a pen in the app to use pressure to alter the line width. I need to experiment with the pressure curve to get it closer to using a real nib, but the default is pretty good for a default. This app has guidelines but I haven't learned how to use them yet so this is freehand.

The app does not do vectors, but it does export to .png which Inkscape can convert to vector format. So I can use this tablet away from my computer if I need to.

Untitled1_20211220195126.png

Comment