Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Drawing tablet with screen - recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

You bought that 3 years ago and still never used it?

You should sell it to quanta.
    I used it for the first time today.

Kind of a steep learning curve but I think I'm getting the hang of it. INFINITELY better for drawing than a mouse - but clicking on stuff is still a bit wonky.

I think I'm gonna love this thing.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I'll bite...how do you have a tablet without a screen?
      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
        I'll bite...how do you have a tablet without a screen?
        It's connected to the computer, so whatever you draw on the tablet appears on the computer screen.
        Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Yeppers, it's a drawing tablet. I like it because the surface doesn't have that spongy feel a touchscreen does and I'm not worried about poking a hole in it.

It does have definite directionality - which means you are drawing upside down if you aren't careful. I still need to play with the functions and really learn what all it can do, but so far it does what I want - provides a drawing surface and pen - pretty danged well.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

etch a sketch.jpg
            When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post

It's connected to the computer, so whatever you draw on the tablet appears on the computer screen.
              Ah! Ok! Thanks.
              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

So, I just got a tablet. This is the one I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08LY...b_b_asin_image

By the time I was ready to buy it, I had $200 worth of Amazon gift cards, plus Amazon had a coupon for it so I really got it for about half price.

It is compatible with my cell phone, but I haven't yet found a drawing app for Android that works well with the tablet. I can also use it with my computer, and I've tried it with GIMP and it works really well so far. I also installed Inkscape on my computer (but haven't used it yet) because I'm going to need to make vector graphics, and also because it is supposed to make calligraphy easy. If I can write directly on the tablet without having to scan handwritten paper to clean up on the tablet, that will eliminate a step from my process.

I might have a chance tonight after work to play with it some. I am still on overtime at work so I don't get much time.

Comment

So, I just got a tablet. This is the one I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08LY...b_b_asin_image

By the time I was ready to buy it, I had $200 worth of Amazon gift cards, plus Amazon had a coupon for it so I really got it for about half price.

It is compatible with my cell phone, but I haven't yet found a drawing app for Android that works well with the tablet. I can also use it with my computer, and I've tried it with GIMP and it works really well so far. I also installed Inkscape on my computer (but haven't used it yet) because I'm going to need to make vector graphics, and also because it is supposed to make calligraphy easy. If I can write directly on the tablet without having to scan handwritten paper to clean up on the tablet, that will eliminate a step from my process.

I might have a chance tonight after work to play with it some. I am still on overtime at work so I don't get much time.
                  Post some drawings!

Comment

I have a touch screen laptop, but I still find it awkward to draw on the screen. I usually end up sketching something on paper with a pencil or pen, then photographing it, importing it into a drawing program like Corel draw, then tracing over it in the program and coloring it in.

I wanted to draw a cartoon of my dog Jake, so first I sketched it on paper:

jakesketch.jpg

Then I imported it into Corel Draw and traced over it, then cleaned it up and colored it. The final version:

jakefinal.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
                      To delete a file, turn the device upside down and shake it.
                      To save a file, don't turn the device upside down and shake it.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

To delete a file, turn the device upside down and shake it.
                        To save a file, don't turn the device upside down and shake it.
                        dilbert.jpg
                        When I Survey....

Comment

Post some drawings!
                          I will once I have something. I have a few days off work around Christmas so I may have some time then.

I have a touch screen laptop, but I still find it awkward to draw on the screen.
                          Drawing on something not meant for drawing with a stylus not meant for drawing will always be awkward. That's why I wanted a drawing tablet specifically, and not just a make-do solution like a touchscreen laptop with stylus.

​​​​I usually end up sketching something on paper with a pencil or pen, then photographing it, importing it into a drawing program like Corel draw, then tracing over it in the program and coloring it in.

I wanted to draw a cartoon of my dog Jake, so first I sketched it on paper:

jakesketch.jpg

Then I imported it into Corel Draw and traced over it, then cleaned it up and colored it. The final version:

jakefinal.jpg
                          That's basically what I was doing before, only I had to do all the computer part with a mouse. Now that is super awkward. I did the calligraphy for my wedding invitations that way.

Comment

I will once I have something. I have a few days off work around Christmas so I may have some time then.

Drawing on something not meant for drawing with a stylus not meant for drawing will always be awkward. That's why I wanted a drawing tablet specifically, and not just a make-do solution like a touchscreen laptop with stylus.

That's basically what I was doing before, only I had to do all the computer part with a mouse. Now that is super awkward. I did the calligraphy for my wedding invitations that way.
                            I have noticed that when doing vector drawings, like in Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator, you don't really do much "drawing" with the mouse (or tablet) it is more about creating Bezier curves by creating points and then dragging handles to form them into the right shapes. Which works best when you are tracing over something so you can line everything up.

html5-canvas-bezier-curves-diagram.png

Comment

I just tried Inkscape. I should have gone to bed an hour ago.

As you can see, writing on this thing is going to take some getting used to.

test resized.jpg

Comment

I just tried Inkscape. I should have gone to bed an hour ago.

As you can see, writing on this thing is going to take some getting used to.

test resized.jpg
                                Looks good to me!

Comment