Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Drawing tablet with screen - recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drawing tablet with screen - recommendations?

I have been considering getting a drawing tablet with a screen. I would like to use it with GIMP because that's what I'm used to. I have looked at Amazon to see what's available but I don't know enough about them to be able to pick something. All I know is that I want one with a screen. It doesn't have to be useable separate from a computer, but it would be nice.
    ​​​​​
    I need it mostly for cleaning up scans of hand written calligraphy, and drawing stencils. So literally, black and white only (not even grayscale) so the number of colors in the display doesn't matter much to me.

I am on a tight budget right now, so the less expensive, the better.

Thanks in advance.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      That is... helpful... I think.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post

That is... helpful... I think.
        My way of saying I'm interested, too, but I got nothing!

I've had tablets, both iPad and... um.. that other one... but just can't seem to discipline myself to use them.

Maybe being able to draw on them -- with an actual purpose - might make me use them.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I have one. It's still in the box.

But just until I get the new desktop - which I plan to order this weekend unless you guys decide I actually need a Cray or something ...
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

WACOM used to make the best drawing tablets both with and without a screen. The high end ones are really expensive. But nowadays you are better off just getting a 2-in-1 laptop that functions as a laptop and a tablet. Many come with a stylus so you can draw on the touch screen. I just bought an HP Spectre X360. https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/slp/sp...ed_na_3_200816

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              I have one. It's still in the box.

But just until I get the new desktop - which I plan to order this weekend unless you guys decide I actually need a Cray or something ...
              You bought that 3 years ago and still never used it?

You should sell it to quanta.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                WACOM used to make the best drawing tablets both with and without a screen. The high end ones are really expensive. But nowadays you are better off just getting a 2-in-1 laptop that functions as a laptop and a tablet. Many come with a stylus so you can draw on the touch screen. I just bought an HP Spectre X360. https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/slp/sp...ed_na_3_200816
                I don't need a laptop though. That is way outside of my price range. I was looking at the $200 ones on Amazon. All I need it for is drawing.

Comment

I don't need a laptop though. That is way outside of my price range. I was looking at the $200 ones on Amazon. All I need it for is drawing.
                  doubtful you could load a scan onto one of those. They don't act like monitors.

Comment

doubtful you could load a scan onto one of those. They don't act like monitors.
                    So even if it runs GIMP, that means some features of GIMP like loading an image, won't work?

Comment

So even if it runs GIMP, that means some features of GIMP like loading an image, won't work?
                      Unless it functions as a monitor, how would you even see GIMP on it? For example, the one Teal bought says it is an android, so it shows you what you are drawing, but it has it's own software on it and display, It can export to a computer but it seems to be standalone. For the price you can buy a touchscreen monitor that is portable enough to hold like a tablet, you might as well buy a complete tablet computer.

Which ones were you looking at?

Comment

Unless it functions as a monitor, how would you even see GIMP on it? For example, the one Teal bought says it is an android, so it shows you what you are drawing, but it has it's own software on it and display, It can export to a computer but it seems to be standalone. For the price you can buy a touchscreen monitor that is portable enough to hold like a tablet, you might as well buy a complete tablet computer.

Which ones were you looking at?
                        https://www.amazon.com/XP-PEN-Artist...sspa?dchild=1&

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BGXRXMB...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Comment

OK yeah those say they are monitors so they should work fine. Be sure to read all of the reviews to check for any potential problems.

Comment

OK yeah those say they are monitors so they should work fine. Be sure to read all of the reviews to check for any potential problems.
                            I don't know enough about the features to know what features are important. I get that "fully laminated" means there is no parallax casued by a thick layer of glass between the tip of the pen and the cursor location, but is that for real or just a gimmick? Aren't they all going to have some parallax? Will the thinner layer on top make it more fragile? And is the number of pressure levels important? What features should I not skimp on, and what's just marketing?

Comment

I don't know enough about the features to know what features are important. I get that "fully laminated" means there is no parallax casued by a thick layer of glass between the tip of the pen and the cursor location, but is that for real or just a gimmick? Aren't they all going to have some parallax? Will the thinner layer on top make it more fragile? And is the number of pressure levels important? What features should I not skimp on, and what's just marketing?
                              A drawing tablet will never feel like drawing on paper. glass is just too smooth to give it the right feel. There will also be some parallax, which is just a fancy way of saying there is a bit of distance between where your stylus is touching the screen and the pixels themselves, so if you are looking from an angle you will notice a slight offset. Mostly not noticeable unless you are working on a single pixel level. I guess a thick screen could make it worse. I don't know how fragile a thin screen would be.

The pressure levels are important because it allows you to press down on the screen to get darker lines or broader strokes. If the stylus supports tilt, that is also good, especially for calligraphy. You can set up a pen stroke that gets wider depending on the the angle you are tilting the stylus, for example.

You will want to get as big a screen as you an afford. Drawing on a small tablet is frustrating.

I would say go visit some stores near you and try out a 2-in-1 laptop with a stylus just to get an idea of what it is like to draw on a screen. Microsoft Surface Tablets come with a stylus, as well as the one I mentioned before: The HP Spectre X360. You can try it on Microsoft Paint which is built into windows.

Comment