Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Where to Buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Can ya get a better shot of that white port? It's the DVI, but the hole pattern matters, as QF so correctly pointed out.
    The blue one is, of course, VGA or SVGA -- quite standard.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

20210501_141220.jpg
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

It's the DVI-D single link on Quanta's chart.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

It's the DVI-D single link on Quanta's chart.
          Ah, that's important!!! Many DVI cables will not work with that.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Wait, I am wrong. It's the dual one.

But the cable I took out of it is definitely the single.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Wait, I am wrong. It's the dual one.

But the cable I took out of it is definitely the single.
              Yeah, what matters is the "extra" prongs and pins on the cable -- your monitors port has too few holes. I think you'd be best off sticking with VGA for that monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Yeah, what matters is the "extra" prongs and pins on the cable -- your monitors port has too few holes. I think you'd be best off sticking with VGA for that monitor.
                No, the monitor will accept a dual link cable. This is good.

A dual link plug will accept a single link cable, but a single link plug cannot accept a dual link cable. Since the monitor will accept a dual link OR a single link cable, there are more options for cables that can be used.

The only DVI cable you can't use with that monitor is DVI-I. Any other DisplayPort to DVI cable will work.
                Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post

No, the monitor will accept a dual link cable. This is good.

A dual link plug will accept a single link cable, but a single link plug cannot accept a dual link cable. Since the monitor will accept a dual link OR a single link cable, there are more options for cables that can be used.

The only DVI cable you can't use with that monitor is DVI-I. Any other DisplayPort to DVI cable will work.
                  I'll defer that to you --- I managed to bypass the whole DVI saga. Don't use DVI unless it's the only option.

Comment

Okay so will the cable I have work with the $299 computer or do I need to buy another cable?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                      Okay so will the cable I have work with the $299 computer or do I need to buy another cable?
                      You need to buy a cable that is DisplayPort on one end, and DVI (or DVI-D) on the other end. They are less than $10 on Amazon.

Comment

• Okay, to recap:

The $299 computer is sufficient to practice video editing but it isn't sufficient to do a sizable amount of video editing.

It's not large enough to be updated with a new video card and power supply so it can't be updated to do video editing at scale.

I will need a separate cable to connect it to the monitor.

So basically I can play with video editing but will need a new machine later on, right?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          Okay, to recap:

The $299 computer is sufficient to practice video editing but it isn't sufficient to do a sizable amount of video editing.

It's not large enough to be updated with a new video card and power supply so it can't be updated to do video editing at scale.

I will need a separate cable to connect it to the monitor.

So basically I can play with video editing but will need a new machine later on, right?
                          Correct.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

That cable is definitely DVI.
                            So, if your computer has VGA output, you need a VGA to DVI cable like the one I pictured.
                            the dell I showed her had VGA and display port. If her monitor is DVI (the pictures she posted show it is) then she needs the DVI to displayport cable for the best quality.

Comment

• Quanta is correct. The dell I showed you is a small form factor and won't accept full size video cards so if you want to expand later, buy something else. sorry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                Quanta is correct. The dell I showed you is a small form factor and won't accept full size video cards so if you want to expand later, buy something else. sorry.
                                Nah, it's fine. It'll do what I need for a couple months which was my initial game plan. In June or July I'll get something else that has what I need. I underestimated my budget is all.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment