Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Where to Buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did what I should have done in the first place - pictures of the actual cable below.

20210501_095423.jpg20210501_095423.jpg
    Attached Files
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Computer:

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

https://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...atId=2627#img2

Looks pretty decent: 2TB hard drive, 16GB ram, USB 3, $299

What kind of monitor do you have? This has VGA and displayport sockets. If you have an HDMI monitor you will need an adapter.
      Monitor:

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

HP L1940T

I'm guessing that it is not an HDMI.
      If I understand correctly I will need to buy a VGA cable.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Computer:
        Monitor:
        That cable is definitely DVI.
        So, if your computer has VGA output, you need a VGA to DVI cable like the one I pictured.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Computer:

Monitor:

That computer is in a case too small to fit a new power supply and video card. Not even one of the small video cards CP mentioned will fit in that. Anything with "SFF" in the title or description is in a tiny case, "SFF" means "Small Form Factor".

Basically, you will not be able to upgrade it, and you will really, really be pushing its limits if you edit video with it. I would only recommend a computer with integrated graphics if video editing is something you'll only rarely do.
          Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post

That computer is in a case too small to fit a new power supply and video card. Not even one of the small video cards CP mentioned will fit in that. Anything with "SFF" in the title or description is in a tiny case, "SFF" means "Small Form Factor".

Basically, you will not be able to upgrade it, and you will really, really be pushing its limits if you edit video with it. I would only recommend a computer with integrated graphics if video editing is something you'll only rarely do.
            Which comes back to the "scalability" I mentioned earlier.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I knew Dr Compustein would be mad...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

That cable is definitely DVI.
                So, if your computer has VGA output, you need a VGA to DVI cable like the one I pictured.
                I literally detached it from the monitor. It's the same cable that I used with the computer it came with The monitor worked but the computer had a hate affair with the internet and committed suicide.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

So maybe I should start with a big plastic tote and a box fan...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I literally detached it from the monitor. It's the same cable that I used with the computer it came with The monitor worked but the computer had a hate affair with the internet and committed suicide.
                    Yes, I got that --- so the MONITOR end is DVI --- we know that --- and I think Sparko had indicated that the computer you were looking at buying had only a VGA out, yes?

So the MONITOR end needs to be DVI
                    The COMPUTER end needs to be whatever your video output is.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Yes, I got that --- so the MONITOR end is DVI --- we know that --- and I think Sparko had indicated that the computer you were looking at buying had only a VGA out, yes?

So the MONITOR end needs to be DVI
                      The COMPUTER end needs to be whatever your video output is.
                      The specs on the computer she's looking at also has DisplayPort output. Her monitor cable is DVI but it's single link. Adapter cables are available but they are typically dual link DVI, which will be a problem if the monitor only accepts single link cables.

Teallaura, can you take a picture of the monitor where the video cable plugs into it? Or just tell me, are there more holes in the plug on the monitor, than there are pins in the cable? Your cable is single link (meaning there's a gap in the middle of the pins). If your monitor can use a regular (dual link) DVI cable, it will be easier to find a cable that will let you use the DisplayPort option, which will give you a better picture quality than VGA.

Comment

The specs on the computer she's looking at also has DisplayPort output. Her monitor cable is DVI but it's single link. Adapter cables are available but they are typically dual link DVI, which will be a problem if the monitor only accepts single link cables.

Teallaura, can you take a picture of the monitor where the video cable plugs into it? Or just tell me, are there more holes in the plug on the monitor, than there are pins in the cable? Your cable is single link (meaning there's a gap in the middle of the pins). If your monitor can use a regular (dual link) DVI cable, it will be easier to find a cable that will let you use the DisplayPort option, which will give you a better picture quality than VGA.
                        EGGcellent point!

Comment

Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing. It felt like there was another port on the monitor.

Give me a few minutes.

Thanks

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing. It felt like there was another port on the monitor.

Give me a few minutes.

Thanks
                            HDMI has been around a long time, now, and even some of my older monitors have HDMI in addition to VGA or DVI.

Comment

20210501_124434.jpg

Here ya go!
                              Attached Files

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Thanks, but, I can't see what type of connector the white one is. I need to see the holes.

Does it look like one of these, and if so, which one?

DVI connectors.png

Comment