Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Where to Buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to Buy

I want a decent refurbished desktop - 8 to 16 GB or better, win 10 and $150 or below (some flexibility there). I'd prefer to pass on walmart. I was considering Newegg but I'm skittish with online sellers. Recommendations?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    I want a decent refurbished desktop - 8 to 16 GB or better, win 10 and $150 or below (some flexibility there). I'd prefer to pass on walmart. I was considering Newegg but I'm skittish with online sellers. Recommendations?
    I recently got a refurb laptop from tigerdirect.com - works fine.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      I recently got a refurb laptop from tigerdirect.com - works fine.
      Tigerdirect, plus Dell sells refurbs, and so does Amazon.

Refurbished & Overstock Laptops, Gaming Desktop PCs & Monitors: Dell Outlet

I have bought a number of used and/or refurb computers on Amazon by third parties --- I just look closely at buyer recommendations.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Thanks Guys !

I'm thinking about this one https://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...0&Sku=42618959
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Thanks Guys !

I'm thinking about this one https://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...0&Sku=42618959
          I don't see anything wrong with that box. Good processor and ram. A little light on the HDD space at 256GB, but, it's SSD so that's a plus.

I work in IT desktop support for a MAJOR medical insurance provider. We use Lenovo products exclusively. There really isn't much difference now days since most of the processors and graphics are 3rd party. Intel, AMD, etc.
          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Thanks Guys !

See if you can get a similar model from Amazon for around the same price, they have had really good customer service when I've bought from them.

Comment

looks good to me. There is a cheaper one being shown in the upper left hand corner for $159, but it only has 8GB RAM (which should be plenty anyway)

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                looks good to me. There is a cheaper one being shown in the upper left hand corner for $159, but it only has 8GB RAM (which should be plenty anyway)
                I'm going to be doing a lot of content on multiple platforms which was why I was looking at 16GB but I won't be doing anything graphics heavy for some time if ever. Am I being over cautious? I'd rather save the money now but not if I don't get what I need.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I'm going to be doing a lot of content on multiple platforms which was why I was looking at 16GB but I won't be doing anything graphics heavy for some time if ever. Am I being over cautious? I'd rather save the money now but not if I don't get what I need.
                  what do you mean by "doing a lot of content on multiple platforms?"

If you are going to store a lot of files you will need either a bigger SSD or a secondary drive (or external drive)

Comment

If you are going to store a lot of files you will need either a bigger SSD or a secondary drive (or external drive)
                    Blogging, writing, maybe podcasting and at least some video. I was already planning on an external drive but what kind of SSD should I be looking at?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post

I don't see anything wrong with that box. Good processor and ram. A little light on the HDD space at 256GB, but, it's SSD so that's a plus.

I work in IT desktop support for a MAJOR medical insurance provider. We use Lenovo products exclusively. There really isn't much difference now days since most of the processors and graphics are 3rd party. Intel, AMD, etc.
                      I used to be concerned about the size of the hard drive, thinking I needed a minimum of 1T, but with all my stuff out in the cloud, that has become much less important.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Or cloud space!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Or cloud space!
                          I use some but right now I would rather spend the money on the machine rather than a digital U-Store.

Being miffed at Google Drive having a lot to do with it.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I use some but right now I would rather spend the money on the machine rather than a digital U-Store.

Being miffed at Google Drive having a lot to do with it.
                            Ah - I've been using DropBox for a long time -- LOVE that I can access my data from anywhere in the world, from any computer or device...

you can actually buy like 2T of cloud storage for $50 or so for LIFE!!!! (one time payment)
                            Not only do you have access to the data from anywhere (as you know), but it doesn't die when your hard drive crashes.

I've tried GoogleDrive -- and OneDrive, and some others --- always keep coming back to DropBox.

Comment

Blogging, writing, maybe podcasting and at least some video. I was already planning on an external drive but what kind of SSD should I be looking at?
                              You will need a bigger drive if you are planning on doing all of that. Especially the video. Just trying to make a short and very simply animated video is taking up tons of space on my and my dad's computers. The video is less than 5 minutes long, and doesn't have any fancy effects on it. Internal and external drives of around 2 TB run around $80 or less.

Comment