Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Where to Buy

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Can ya get a better shot of that white port? It's the DVI, but the hole pattern matters, as QF so correctly pointed out.
    The blue one is, of course, VGA or SVGA -- quite standard.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

    Comment


    • #92
      20210501_141220.jpg
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

      "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

      My Personal Blog

      My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

      Quill Sword

      Comment


      • #93
        It's the DVI-D single link on Quanta's chart.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

        "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

        My Personal Blog

        My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

        Quill Sword

        Comment


        • #94
          Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          It's the DVI-D single link on Quanta's chart.
          Ah, that's important!!! Many DVI cables will not work with that.
          "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

          Comment


          • #95
            Wait, I am wrong. It's the dual one.

            But the cable I took out of it is definitely the single.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

            "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

            My Personal Blog

            My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

            Quill Sword

            Comment


            • #96
              Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              Wait, I am wrong. It's the dual one.

              But the cable I took out of it is definitely the single.
              Yeah, what matters is the "extra" prongs and pins on the cable -- your monitors port has too few holes. I think you'd be best off sticking with VGA for that monitor.
              "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

              Comment


              • #97
                Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

                Yeah, what matters is the "extra" prongs and pins on the cable -- your monitors port has too few holes. I think you'd be best off sticking with VGA for that monitor.
                No, the monitor will accept a dual link cable. This is good.

                A dual link plug will accept a single link cable, but a single link plug cannot accept a dual link cable. Since the monitor will accept a dual link OR a single link cable, there are more options for cables that can be used.

                The only DVI cable you can't use with that monitor is DVI-I. Any other DisplayPort to DVI cable will work.
                Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

                Comment


                • #98
                  Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post

                  No, the monitor will accept a dual link cable. This is good.

                  A dual link plug will accept a single link cable, but a single link plug cannot accept a dual link cable. Since the monitor will accept a dual link OR a single link cable, there are more options for cables that can be used.

                  The only DVI cable you can't use with that monitor is DVI-I. Any other DisplayPort to DVI cable will work.
                  I'll defer that to you --- I managed to bypass the whole DVI saga. Don't use DVI unless it's the only option.
                  "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Okay so will the cable I have work with the $299 computer or do I need to buy another cable?
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

                    "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

                    My Personal Blog

                    My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

                    Quill Sword

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                      Okay so will the cable I have work with the $299 computer or do I need to buy another cable?
                      You need to buy a cable that is DisplayPort on one end, and DVI (or DVI-D) on the other end. They are less than $10 on Amazon.
                      Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

                      Comment


                      • Okay, to recap:

                        The $299 computer is sufficient to practice video editing but it isn't sufficient to do a sizable amount of video editing.

                        It's not large enough to be updated with a new video card and power supply so it can't be updated to do video editing at scale.

                        I will need a separate cable to connect it to the monitor.

                        So basically I can play with video editing but will need a new machine later on, right?
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

                        "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

                        My Personal Blog

                        My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

                        Quill Sword

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          Okay, to recap:

                          The $299 computer is sufficient to practice video editing but it isn't sufficient to do a sizable amount of video editing.

                          It's not large enough to be updated with a new video card and power supply so it can't be updated to do video editing at scale.

                          I will need a separate cable to connect it to the monitor.

                          So basically I can play with video editing but will need a new machine later on, right?
                          Correct.
                          Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

                            That cable is definitely DVI.
                            So, if your computer has VGA output, you need a VGA to DVI cable like the one I pictured.
                            the dell I showed her had VGA and display port. If her monitor is DVI (the pictures she posted show it is) then she needs the DVI to displayport cable for the best quality.

                            Comment


                            • Quanta is correct. The dell I showed you is a small form factor and won't accept full size video cards so if you want to expand later, buy something else. sorry.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                Quanta is correct. The dell I showed you is a small form factor and won't accept full size video cards so if you want to expand later, buy something else. sorry.
                                Nah, it's fine. It'll do what I need for a couple months which was my initial game plan. In June or July I'll get something else that has what I need. I underestimated my budget is all.
                                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

                                "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

                                My Personal Blog

                                My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

                                Quill Sword

                                Comment

                                Related Threads

                                Collapse

                                Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by Sparko, 06-17-2021, 01:36 PM
                                3 responses
                                28 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post The Melody Maker  
                                Started by NorrinRadd, 06-08-2021, 04:33 AM
                                1 response
                                12 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post rogue06
                                by rogue06
                                 
                                Started by Teallaura, 05-27-2021, 03:11 PM
                                33 responses
                                159 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Teallaura  
                                Started by Teallaura, 05-02-2021, 09:48 AM
                                52 responses
                                259 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post rogue06
                                by rogue06
                                 
                                Started by QuantaFille, 04-29-2021, 07:55 AM
                                20 responses
                                77 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post DesertBerean  
                                Working...
                                X