Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Where to Buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

In a full size box, as many as FOUR!

I had a "tower" computer way back when that allowed EIGHT drives - because, back then, you needed a floppy drive, a CD Rom drive, a hard drive (or two), and maybe a "pullout grab-n-go hard drive".

And bacon.
    Then there is the KF Console which has a built in compartment to keep your fried chicken warm while playing games.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

Online?
      yes.... NewEgg

Crucial's is actually a configurator... Crucial System Scanner

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

Then there is the KF Console which has a built in compartment to keep your fried chicken warm while playing games.
        And that fancy slide out cup holder!!!!

cup holder.jpg

Attached Files
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

yes.... NewEgg

Crucial's is actually a configurator... Crucial System Scanner
          Thanks!!
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

And that fancy slide out cup holder!!!!

cup holder.jpg

It'd be funnier if it weren't literally all my laptop dvd drive is good for!

No, Quanta. I don't want any instructions that involve a screwdriver and my laptop...
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

No, Quanta. I don't want any instructions that involve a screwdriver and my laptop...
              If you are going to rely on an external drive for storage, make sure the PC has USB 3.0 ports. I think the first one you showed us had only USB 2.0 - which are very slow (and ancient, meaning the computer is probably pretty old to begin with. USB 3.0 has been out since 2008)
              Last edited by Sparko; 04-29-2021, 10:18 AM.

Comment

How bout a good ol' Texas FIRE WRENCH!!!!!!

fire wrench.jpg
                Attached Files

Comment

https://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...atId=2627#img2

Looks pretty decent: 2TB hard drive, 16GB ram, USB 3, $299

What kind of monitor do you have? This has VGA and displayport sockets. If you have an HDMI monitor you will need an adapter.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

https://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...atId=2627#img2

Looks pretty decent: 2TB hard drive, 16GB ram, USB 3, $299

What kind of monitor do you have? This has VGA and displayport sockets. If you have an HDMI monitor you will need an adapter.
                    I have had to purchase HDMI cables on occasion that are displayport-hdmi. About $8.

cable.jpg
                    Attached Files

Comment

I have had to purchase HDMI cables on occasion that are displayport-hdmi. About $8.

cable.jpg
                      Yeah I have that on my PC. The graphics card has two DVI and one DP port and I have three HDMI monitors, so I have two DVI to HDMI adapters and one active DP to HDMI adapter.

Comment

Yeah I have that on my PC. The graphics card has two DVI and one DP port and I have three HDMI monitors, so I have two DVI to HDMI adapters and one active DP to HDMI adapter.
                        Adapters? These are actual cords.... I've always tried to have as few "failure points" as possible, so I avoid the use of "adapters".

Comment

Adapters? These are actual cords.... I've always tried to have as few "failure points" as possible, so I avoid the use of "adapters".
                          Sorry. Two are DVI to HDMI cables. but the last is an HDMI to DVI cable with an DVI to Active DP adapter. My card required the DP be active instead of passive in order to allow 3 monitors on output, and I already had the hdmi to DVI cable and so I bought an adapter.

Comment

Er, a computer can have two internal drives?

That really does help - let me digest it a bit more. I'm pretty sure I'll be back with questions.
                            Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

Depending on the motherboard it can have more than two internal hard drives. I have an internal SSD and an internal HDD with room for more.

In a full size box, as many as FOUR!

I had a "tower" computer way back when that allowed EIGHT drives - because, back then, you needed a floppy drive, a CD Rom drive, a hard drive (or two), and maybe a "pullout grab-n-go hard drive".

And bacon.
                            My current computer can have up to ten. Two M.2 on the motherboard, and eight SATA. The case has two brackets for the smaller SATA SSDs, and cages for six HDDs, three of which have faceplates on the front so you can drop in a CD-ROM or whatever. I've even seen panels that fit in those faceplates that are actually USB ports and/or memory card readers and such that connect to the USB headers on the motherboard, in case the case doesn't have them (some don't, which doesn't make sense to me).

If you are going to rely on an external drive for storage, make sure the PC has USB 3.0 ports. I think the first one you showed us had only USB 2.0 - which are very slow (and ancient, meaning the computer is probably pretty old to begin with. USB 3.0 has been out since 2008)
                            YES, this. I have a USB 3.something external backup drive, and I would probably still be sitting here waiting for files to transfer if it was USB 2.0.
                            Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Online?
                              Yes. The one that comes immediately to mind for me is crucial.com.
                              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

Yes. The one that comes immediately to mind for me is crucial.com.
                                I have used them for many years --- and they do a good job of telling you exactly what chip configuration you need.
                                Armed with that information, I compare their price to others for the same product.

Then I usually buy from Crucial just because.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X