Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Data Storage is getting ridiculous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    Yeah, it is really neat how far technology has progressed in my lifetime. At this point I need to get a hard drive with more space for my gaming PC. Still trying to figure out which one to get, and what is a good price for it. 8-10TB would be where I would want it for now.
    The 10TB and up are still pretty expensive. I just used my "stimulus" check to buy my 12TB drives, and they were $300 each (NAS quality). They seem to drop in price around 8TB ($150) and lower. You can get a 5TB for around $100.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    The office my father worked at had a computer room where the giant computer used punch cards.

When I was in college they still had computer rooms and they had to be kept pretty cool because of all the heat the computers produced.

My first computer used floppy discs.

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

SD drives have come WAY down, too!
    Yeah, SSD would be nice, but in the size I am thinking it is a bit too much still. Supposedly a hybrid drive would be closer to a price range I could get.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    Yeah, it is really neat how far technology has progressed in my lifetime. At this point I need to get a hard drive with more space for my gaming PC. Still trying to figure out which one to get, and what is a good price for it. 8-10TB would be where I would want it for now.
    SD drives have come WAY down, too!

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post

a few years from now we will look back at this thread and laugh at our naivety at being impressed with only 1TB MicroSD cards and will probably have petabyte cards.
    I still remember when our computers had 1,024kb of memory, but we could only access 640k. I was so proud when I discovered DR DOS which could access the "expanded memory", and load programs (especially TSR (Terminate Stay Resident) programs) in that upper memory! I could actually load up my computer, run my TSR programs, and STILL have 638k or so "free memory".

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yup, there are even several cloud services offering TBs of cloud storage "for life" for a one time $59 or something.
    a few years from now we will look back at this thread and laugh at our naivety at being impressed with only 1TB MicroSD cards and will probably have petabyte cards.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Yup, there are even several cloud services offering TBs of cloud storage "for life" for a one time $59 or something.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    started a topic Data Storage is getting ridiculous

Data Storage is getting ridiculous

You can now get a 1TB MicroSD card.

1TB on a piece of plastic the size of your thumbnail.

ScreenHunter_.jpg

I think that is amazing.

--
    In other news I just bought a new NAS and stuck in two 12TB hard drives (run as Raid 1 mirroring) and already have it 25% full.