Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Data Storage is getting ridiculous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kiwimac
    replied
    Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
    When I first got my lappy livestreaming was low priority for me.........yeah yeah I know.

So along with ramping up my data backup I'm having to get better streaming capacity. The computer guy I'm talking to showed me this thingy that helps with that...some kind of buffer? Anyway....technology is moving way too fast.
    When I was in Library school, back in the last century, we were told that by the year 2000 the total sum of human knowledge would be doubling every year. It hasn't slowed nor will it.

Leave a comment:

• DesertBerean
    replied
    When I first got my lappy livestreaming was low priority for me.........yeah yeah I know.

So along with ramping up my data backup I'm having to get better streaming capacity. The computer guy I'm talking to showed me this thingy that helps with that...some kind of buffer? Anyway....technology is moving way too fast.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post

It was obviously a touchscreen too!

I thought Moses was the first one to download data from the cloud to a tablet, but now we know it was Mossy.
    Moses borrowed mossy's tablet to record them on it

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Then, of course, there is mossy's first computer

mossy computer.jpg

Many tens of thousands of years later, she was also the first one to have a laptop

mossy laptop.jpg
    It was obviously a touchscreen too!

I thought Moses was the first one to download data from the cloud to a tablet, but now we know it was Mossy.

Leave a comment:

• kiwimac
    replied
    You can now get a 1TB MicroSD card.

1TB on a piece of plastic the size of your thumbnail.

ScreenHunter_.jpg

I think that is amazing.

--
    In other news I just bought a new NAS and stuck in two 12TB hard drives (run as Raid 1 mirroring) and already have it 25% full.
    Interestingly, I was talking, some years ago now, with an engineer for Sandisk. He made the comment that, in powered drives, when they got very small, electricity sometimes did odd things like travel around corners.

Leave a comment:

• QuantaFille
    replied
    Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post

Fixed it for you. (By extension, also my first computer. )
    Now that is a familiar looking keyboard. My first computer was a Commodore 64.

Leave a comment:

• Stoic
    replied
    In high school I started getting interested in computers when I played with their computer. Had to use paper tape and a teletype console to enter the code and print out the results.
    I took a computer programming course in high school, and our class had a single teletype that connected to the local college computer with a 300 baud acoustic modem. The language we used was BASIC.

In college, I took a FORTRAN class where we had to submit our programs on punch cards for batch processing.

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post

Thanks, love. I know you always have my back.

Leave a comment:

• The Melody Maker
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied

mossy computer.jpg

Many tens of thousands of years later, she was also the first one to have a laptop

mossy laptop.jpg
    Big meanie.

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Can you not split up functions - use the SSD for read/write stuff, and standard drive for the program?
    I have an SSD with around 250 GB on it. Which is tiny for many modern games. Games load slower on them, especially if they have online play or very intense GPU usage. It is even worse if they have both.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    The office my father worked at had a computer room where the giant computer used punch cards.

When I was in college they still had computer rooms and they had to be kept pretty cool because of all the heat the computers produced.

My first computer used floppy discs.
    During the 90's, us "Facility Managers" had the challenge of trying to keep buildings cool when there were so many computers with CRT monitors (and the buildings were never designed for that heat load) --- it was so nice to start replacing them with much less heat-generating smaller computers and LCD displays.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

Yeah, SSD would be nice, but in the size I am thinking it is a bit too much still. Supposedly a hybrid drive would be closer to a price range I could get.
    Can you not split up functions - use the SSD for read/write stuff, and standard drive for the program?

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

mossy computer.jpg

mossy laptop.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    The office my father worked at had a computer room where the giant computer used punch cards.

When I was in college they still had computer rooms and they had to be kept pretty cool because of all the heat the computers produced.

My first computer used floppy discs.
    In high school I started getting interested in computers when I played with their computer. Had to use paper tape and a teletype console to enter the code and print out the results.

Later in the 80's the company I worked for had a PDP-11 and we got a removable hard drive unit that you can see in the picture below. That giant garbage can lid sized disk held a whopping 10mb! the actual drive was the size of a washing machine.

Janet.jpg

Leave a comment: