Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Data Storage is getting ridiculous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data Storage is getting ridiculous

You can now get a 1TB MicroSD card.

1TB on a piece of plastic the size of your thumbnail.

ScreenHunter_.jpg

I think that is amazing.

--
    In other news I just bought a new NAS and stuck in two 12TB hard drives (run as Raid 1 mirroring) and already have it 25% full.

Yup, there are even several cloud services offering TBs of cloud storage "for life" for a one time $59 or something.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Yup, there are even several cloud services offering TBs of cloud storage "for life" for a one time $59 or something.
      a few years from now we will look back at this thread and laugh at our naivety at being impressed with only 1TB MicroSD cards and will probably have petabyte cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

a few years from now we will look back at this thread and laugh at our naivety at being impressed with only 1TB MicroSD cards and will probably have petabyte cards.
        I still remember when our computers had 1,024kb of memory, but we could only access 640k. I was so proud when I discovered DR DOS which could access the "expanded memory", and load programs (especially TSR (Terminate Stay Resident) programs) in that upper memory! I could actually load up my computer, run my TSR programs, and STILL have 638k or so "free memory".
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah, it is really neat how far technology has progressed in my lifetime. At this point I need to get a hard drive with more space for my gaming PC. Still trying to figure out which one to get, and what is a good price for it. 8-10TB would be where I would want it for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
            Yeah, it is really neat how far technology has progressed in my lifetime. At this point I need to get a hard drive with more space for my gaming PC. Still trying to figure out which one to get, and what is a good price for it. 8-10TB would be where I would want it for now.
            SD drives have come WAY down, too!

Comment

SD drives have come WAY down, too!
              Yeah, SSD would be nice, but in the size I am thinking it is a bit too much still. Supposedly a hybrid drive would be closer to a price range I could get.

Comment

The office my father worked at had a computer room where the giant computer used punch cards.

When I was in college they still had computer rooms and they had to be kept pretty cool because of all the heat the computers produced.

My first computer used floppy discs.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The 10TB and up are still pretty expensive. I just used my "stimulus" check to buy my 12TB drives, and they were $300 each (NAS quality). They seem to drop in price around 8TB ($150) and lower. You can get a 5TB for around $100.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    The office my father worked at had a computer room where the giant computer used punch cards.

When I was in college they still had computer rooms and they had to be kept pretty cool because of all the heat the computers produced.

In high school I started getting interested in computers when I played with their computer. Had to use paper tape and a teletype console to enter the code and print out the results.

Later in the 80's the company I worked for had a PDP-11 and we got a removable hard drive unit that you can see in the picture below. That giant garbage can lid sized disk held a whopping 10mb! the actual drive was the size of a washing machine.

Janet.jpg

Comment

Then, of course, there is mossy's first computer

mossy computer.jpg

Many tens of thousands of years later, she was also the first one to have a laptop

mossy laptop.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yeah, SSD would be nice, but in the size I am thinking it is a bit too much still. Supposedly a hybrid drive would be closer to a price range I could get.
                        Can you not split up functions - use the SSD for read/write stuff, and standard drive for the program?

Comment

During the 90's, us "Facility Managers" had the challenge of trying to keep buildings cool when there were so many computers with CRT monitors (and the buildings were never designed for that heat load) --- it was so nice to start replacing them with much less heat-generating smaller computers and LCD displays.

Comment

Can you not split up functions - use the SSD for read/write stuff, and standard drive for the program?
                            I have an SSD with around 250 GB on it. Which is tiny for many modern games. Games load slower on them, especially if they have online play or very intense GPU usage. It is even worse if they have both.

Comment

Then, of course, there is mossy's first computer

mossy computer.jpg

Many tens of thousands of years later, she was also the first one to have a laptop

mossy laptop.jpg
                              Big meanie.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment