Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

What Video Games Have You Been Playing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rational Gaze
    replied
    Yeah, I tried reducing the settings, and no real difference. Still beeps. Might be dust.

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied
    Originally posted by Rational Gaze View Post
    Just got the 'Requiem for a Killer' achievement in Batman: Arkham Knight. Man, I almost can't believe it myself. Well, those are the two hardest achievements in the game done. Now I don't need to stress too hard about those remaining. Whereas as far as Civilisation V is concerned, I'm at 183 out of 286 Steam achievements. Although my computer has started the annoying habit of beeping at me when playing Civilisation V for a certain amount of time, so I keep having to quit the game and leave it for awhile before coming back to the game, which is causing things to drag out a bit more than they otherwise would have.
    I'd guess that either your PC has issues with it overheating due to Civ V's graphics*, you've got a dust problem, or your fans aren't running at an optimum rate when you play that game.

*Sometimes just reducing the settings is enough to get it to stop, but depending on your rig that isn't always the case.

Leave a comment:

• Rational Gaze
    replied
    Just got the 'Requiem for a Killer' achievement in Batman: Arkham Knight. Man, I almost can't believe it myself. Well, those are the two hardest achievements in the game done. Now I don't need to stress too hard about those remaining. Whereas as far as Civilisation V is concerned, I'm at 183 out of 286 Steam achievements. Although my computer has started the annoying habit of beeping at me when playing Civilisation V for a certain amount of time, so I keep having to quit the game and leave it for awhile before coming back to the game, which is causing things to drag out a bit more than they otherwise would have.

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

In the previous versions you ran across people that you could invite to join your group (up to 5 companions and the main character). Some do not get along with some of the others which can result in a companion leaving the group.
    In this one you have some similarities to the old system, but you are limited to four characters in your active party at any one time(the others stay at camp until you say you want to change them out). Your actions will change how they view you, and not sure but I think they can leave the group. If you are hostile to them and take them down in a fight they won't ever join you in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

There are five main characters right now, one fighter, one wizard, on rogue, one warlock, and one cleric. The fighter is a Githyanki who is rather stuck up and seems somewhat selfish, but given the urgency of the situation I can somewhat understand her attitude. Having a Mindflayer tadpole in your brain doesn't leave you much room for thinking about anything other than finding a way to stop it. She comes off as a jerk, but not evil as far as I've gotten in the campaign.

However, if you don't like the main characters you can make your own custom character* with different classes available such as druid, ranger, and sorcerer as additional options. The game is very far from finished right now, so I expect more custom classes to be added, but I doubt they will give more main characters. Although I wouldn't be too surprised if they allowed some of them to be changed to different classes like Larian did in in their previous game Divinity: Original Sin 2**. That one isn't D&D based, but they are very similar in the basics of how the game play. They are both turn based in combat, while everyone is free to move as they please outside of combat unless someone intentionally toggles the turn based system on outside of combat.

*When playing in a group you can make all of the four player character slots custom characters. Supposedly there is a way to do this even without other players, but I'm not sure how.

**I haven't finished this game yet, but I've enjoyed playing it with friends. The problem we've encountered is that we make a new campaign every time only certain people are available to play, so we have restarted the game many times. I'm so glad I found a mod that lets you skip the tutorial area. That ought to make new campaigns more bearable.
    In the previous versions you ran across people that you could invite to join your group (up to 5 companions and the main character). Some do not get along with some of the others which can result in a companion leaving the group.

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied
    I hope they provide some non-evil fighters who can play the role of the tank
    There are five main characters right now, one fighter, one wizard, on rogue, one warlock, and one cleric. The fighter is a Githyanki who is rather stuck up and seems somewhat selfish, but given the urgency of the situation I can somewhat understand her attitude. Having a Mindflayer tadpole in your brain doesn't leave you much room for thinking about anything other than finding a way to stop it. She comes off as a jerk, but not evil as far as I've gotten in the campaign.

However, if you don't like the main characters you can make your own custom character* with different classes available such as druid, ranger, and sorcerer as additional options. The game is very far from finished right now, so I expect more custom classes to be added, but I doubt they will give more main characters. Although I wouldn't be too surprised if they allowed some of them to be changed to different classes like Larian did in in their previous game Divinity: Original Sin 2**. That one isn't D&D based, but they are very similar in the basics of how the game play. They are both turn based in combat, while everyone is free to move as they please outside of combat unless someone intentionally toggles the turn based system on outside of combat.

*When playing in a group you can make all of the four player character slots custom characters. Supposedly there is a way to do this even without other players, but I'm not sure how.

**I haven't finished this game yet, but I've enjoyed playing it with friends. The problem we've encountered is that we make a new campaign every time only certain people are available to play, so we have restarted the game many times. I'm so glad I found a mod that lets you skip the tutorial area. That ought to make new campaigns more bearable.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

BG3 is fifth edition I believe. So at least one of the sequels has updated the rules.
    I hope they provide some non-evil fighters who can play the role of the tank

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied
    Originally posted by Rational Gaze View Post
    I finally managed to get the 'The Curtain Falls' achievement in Batman: Arkham Knight. Which required completing all four waves of the combat challenge 'Monarch Theatre' as Batman, Robin, Catwoman, and Nightwing without losing your combo. Which turned out to be even more annoying and difficult to get than one would think, since the game has an annoying tendency to throw curve balls at you. Such as enemies somehow magically bypassing your counter-attack and punching you anyway. Or you'll lock onto the wrong enemy, such as one with a stun baton or shield. Or an enemy will be lying on the ground and the game won't display the animation indicating they are merely knocked down and still in the fight instead of knocked unconscious.

There's another achievement in the game, called 'Requiem for a Killer', where you have to fight and beat Killer Croc in the combat challenge 'Iceberg Lounge'. However, in order to do so, you need to first rack up 1,050,000 points before he'll even enter the combat area. Whoever felt the need to include these as achievements needs a swift kick to the unmentionables.
    Yeah, I'm not masochistic enough to be a full on achievement hunter. I grab as many as I can in games I like, but I stop when they get too crazy.

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied
    BG was Second Edition so I was surprised that the sequels, which came out years later, hadn't swapped to a later edition like Icewind Dale did.
    BG3 is fifth edition I believe. So at least one of the sequels has updated the rules.

Leave a comment:

• Rational Gaze
    replied
    I finally managed to get the 'The Curtain Falls' achievement in Batman: Arkham Knight. Which required completing all four waves of the combat challenge 'Monarch Theatre' as Batman, Robin, Catwoman, and Nightwing without losing your combo. Which turned out to be even more annoying and difficult to get than one would think, since the game has an annoying tendency to throw curve balls at you. Such as enemies somehow magically bypassing your counter-attack and punching you anyway. Or you'll lock onto the wrong enemy, such as one with a stun baton or shield. Or an enemy will be lying on the ground and the game won't display the animation indicating they are merely knocked down and still in the fight instead of knocked unconscious.

There's another achievement in the game, called 'Requiem for a Killer', where you have to fight and beat Killer Croc in the combat challenge 'Iceberg Lounge'. However, in order to do so, you need to first rack up 1,050,000 points before he'll even enter the combat area. Whoever felt the need to include these as achievements needs a swift kick to the unmentionables.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

I haven't played those, but Baldur's Gate 3 is pretty good so far*. I do have the Neverwinter Enhanced Edition, but the group I play with hasn't done much with it.

*It's currently in early access so rather buggy and very incomplete.
    BG was Second Edition so I was surprised that the sequels, which came out years later, hadn't swapped to a later edition like Icewind Dale did.

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied
    Baldur's Gate Siege of Dragonspear, followed by Baldur's Gate II Shadows of Amn both Enhanced Editions (on an old computer).

Hadn't played anything in a long time and BG was the first game I ever played on my computer.
    I haven't played those, but Baldur's Gate 3 is pretty good so far*. I do have the Neverwinter Enhanced Edition, but the group I play with hasn't done much with it.

*It's currently in early access so rather buggy and very incomplete.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Baldur's Gate Siege of Dragonspear, followed by Baldur's Gate II Shadows of Amn both Enhanced Editions (on an old computer).

Hadn't played anything in a long time and BG was the first game I ever played on my computer.

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied
    It Takes Two. It's one of the best games I've played in a while. You must have a second person to play(kind of in the title), but you can do so either online or with split screen. If you go the online route only one person needs to own the game. Not only is it a lot of content for the kind of game it is, but they manage to get the Nintendo level of enjoyable moment to moment gameplay, while having a great story alongside it. This won game of the year for a reason.

Leave a comment:

• Rational Gaze
    replied
    I've mostly been playing Batman: Arkham Knight on Xbox One and Civilisation V on PC.

Leave a comment: