Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

What Video Games Have You Been Playing?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
    LEGO: The Movie videogame board game lego sets?
    This needs to happen.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

LEGO: The Movie videogame board game lego sets?
      Oh yeah, you might look into LEGO Worlds. Whole procedurally generated LEGO worlds to build and play in.

Comment

• They could go really weird and make a Lego Minecraft video game, since Minecraft-themed Lego sets already exist.
        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
          You could try the LEGO Batman stuff, LEGO Avengers, LEGO Indiana Jones etc. The original Dungeon Defenders is pretty good for local split screen, and the Trine series might be a good set of games to try too.
          I think I have LEGO Avengers already. I could see if she likes that one. I looked at the others but I wasn't convinced she would get into the storylines. I was telling my wife at lunch today that the movie is probably the only game of that series that is actually aimed at kids. Most of them are adult films converted to LEGO games. I was thinking Harry Potter might be good.

Trine is a good idea. I have the first two, and the artwork should appeal to her. It's puzzle-y without being complicated, so that would work well, too. Magicka maybe? I think you can co-op that one with controllers, and she could have fun with the spells.

I saw Spore suggested somewhere. I bet she would really get into that one, but it's not co-op.

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
          Speaking of controllers, I've moved to the Steam Controller, and I'm loving it. It's absolutely perfect for me. Let's me play all my PC games comfortably, and without performance issues that I have with a mouse. Apparently a few games have problems with mixing controller types though.
          I have an xbox controller, and I found a pink xbox controller for $20 yesterday. The nice thing about her on a controller is she doesn't have to sit on my lap anymore. She has a tendency to lean on my arm the whole time...
          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I think I have LEGO Avengers already. I could see if she likes that one. I looked at the others but I wasn't convinced she would get into the storylines. I was telling my wife at lunch today that the movie is probably the only game of that series that is actually aimed at kids. Most of them are adult films converted to LEGO games. I was thinking Harry Potter might be good.
            Well, the Batman versions aren't based on any movie, but I see what you're saying. The problem, for me anyway, is that these games aren't fun alone, and that's the only way I'd end up playing them.

Trine is a good idea. I have the first two, and the artwork should appeal to her. It's puzzle-y without being complicated, so that would work well, too. Magicka maybe? I think you can co-op that one with controllers, and she could have fun with the spells.
            Never played Magicka.

I saw Spore suggested somewhere. I bet she would really get into that one, but it's not co-op.
            I've heard good things, but never got to play it.

Have you tried any racing games? Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed is pretty good, and it has a semi-co-op mode where you can do all kinds of interesting things. Everything from special races without the "weapons" to "drift races" to "boss fights".

They sell some classic Sega Genesis games on Steam too, like Sonic The Hedgehog 2, Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Toejam and Earl*, Toejam and Earl Panic on Funkotron etc. I have some good memories with old games like that. Most that I've gone back and played were still fun.

I have an xbox controller, and I found a pink xbox controller for $20 yesterday. The nice thing about her on a controller is she doesn't have to sit on my lap anymore. She has a tendency to lean on my arm the whole time...
            Xbox controller is great because you can just plug it in and play. Not exactly all that complicated to use for most people either. That's what I've been using until recently. I had to use Pinnacle Game Profiler software if I wanted to play anything that didn't support controllers. I mean, it definitely works, but the SC does almost everything it does, only better. The few things it doesn't do can be added later through updates, and hopefully will be relatively soon.

*Very unusual, but that one is my favorite. You work together to find the pieces of your crashed spaceship. You open gift boxes to gain power ups, and the levels and gifts are randomized(well, if you choose) every time you play. This greatly increases the replay value, because it's different every time.

Comment

We finished the LEGO: The Movie story on Saturday. I tried starting on Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga, but the kid wasn't into it. The movie videogame has a lot to interest a 4.5yo, tbh. I don't know what else to play with her at this point (would welcome suggestions). I did buy her a controller yesterday so I can stop using the keyboard in the LEGO games. Keyboard is so annoying. >.>
              There's the other LEGO games, not sure which you may have already but a full list:
              LEGO Batman, LEGO Batman 2, LEGO Batman 3, LEGO Harry Potter, LEGO Harry Potter 2, LEGO The Hobbit, LEGO Indiana Jones, LEGO Indiana Jones 2, LEGO Lord of the Rings, LEGO Star Wars: TCS, LEGO Star Wars III, LEGO Dimensions, LEGO Marvel, LEGO Marvel Avengers, LEGO Jurassic World. There's even a LEGO Rock Band.
              My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

• There's Minecraft as well as Minecraft: Story Mode, too. (They're separate games.)

Comment

• I don't know if I'd call Minecraft Story Mode a kids game though.

Comment

• We went through my games library on Steam last night and watched some trailers. We're going to try HOARD, LEGO Marvel, Burnout Paradise, and Trine. Apparently the ability to change people and/or appearance is an important factor. Her first question when I showed her Magicka was about changing people.

I looked at LEGO Worlds and Minecraft, but I don't think they fit her interests just yet. I'll keep those in mind for later.
                    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

• I've gotten most of the FF8 steam achievements down now. Although I've nearly reached the end of what I can do in this current playthrough. I reached level 100, and obtained the last of Quistis' limit breaks. For whatever reason, the Obel Lake sidequest cannot be started on the portion of the game equivalent to disc 4 onwards. I'm currently playing the stand-alone Chocobo World app that is part of the Steam version of FF8 (it was originally on the Pocketstation). I've gotten the chicobo to level 61, and you get an achievement for raising it to level 100. Once I'm done with that, I'll load up my FF8 save, transfer all the items I've found in Chocobo World over to my FF8 main game save file, and then do the tent/cottage to mega-potion method of getting gil to get the maximum gil achievement. Then I'll start a new save to get all the magazines, to complete the Obel Lake side quest, and to complete the game without Squall levelling up once. Then it would just be grinding kills for the 10,000 kills achievement. (Yeah, they really stuck that achievement in for the Steam version).

Comment

I looked at LEGO Worlds and Minecraft, but I don't think they fit her interests just yet. I'll keep those in mind for later.
                        My eldest daughter (9yrs old) has been bugging me about getting her minecraft for the last year.
                        My 7 year old will be pestering her once I get it.
                        my 5 year old would probably try play it, but she's not really into pc games just yet.
                        And our youngest at nearly 4 ain't that interested yet.
                        Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                        1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                        -Ben Witherington III

Comment

• So Trine didn't work, Hoard didn't use the controller, and Burnout Paradise is single-player with the keyboard. Full fail.

Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed is pretty good, and it has a semi-co-op mode where you can do all kinds of interesting things. Everything from special races without the "weapons" to "drift races" to "boss fights".
                          I picked this up on Steam, and she's loving it. I really like that it has flight assist to help her with the airplane sections.

I picked up Disney Universe and Spore. Both of those are winners. And that's what I'm playing these days (plus a lot of SMITE still).
                          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                            My eldest daughter (9yrs old) has been bugging me about getting her minecraft for the last year.
                            My 7 year old will be pestering her once I get it.
                            my 5 year old would probably try play it, but she's not really into pc games just yet.
                            And our youngest at nearly 4 ain't that interested yet.
                            The only reason my kid is into PC is because she can use the controller. Minecraft is a winner, imo.
                            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

So Trine didn't work, Hoard didn't use the controller, and Burnout Paradise is single-player with the keyboard. Full fail.
                              So, as in you couldn't get it to work, or she didn't like it?

I picked this up on Steam, and she's loving it. I really like that it has flight assist to help her with the airplane sections.
                              I'm glad that you found something to play.

The flight assist irritates me personally, but I can see how others would like it.

I picked up Disney Universe and Spore. Both of those are winners. And that's what I'm playing these days (plus a lot of SMITE still).
                              Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                              The only reason my kid is into PC is because she can use the controller. Minecraft is a winner, imo.
                              Down the road you should look into the Steam Controller, or Pinnacle Game Profiler. They let you play all PC games with a controller. I prefer the former, but I can see how some people might not like it. It does have a bit of a learning curve, and for the first week I was pretty terrible at using it. Then I found the "edge spin" setting.
                              Pinnacle often goes on sale around holidays, and I got my copy for $5. Basically it's like Xpadder, but IMO easier to use.

ETA: Another option that might be fun is Portal 2. It's Co-op, and controller compatible.
                              Last edited by Cerebrum123; 02-09-2016, 01:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                                So, as in you couldn't get it to work, or she didn't like it?
                                We couldn't get it to work. Co-op was on, but it was like only one controller worked at a time, and it kept flipping which was which. There were other issues, too, but I quickly realized that it would be a little too challenging anyway.

The flight assist irritates me personally, but I can see how others would like it.
                                Yeah, there's no way I would use it. She's not even five, though, and her first attempt at flying (without it) ended up stuck in the map somehow.

ETA: Another option that might be fun is Portal 2. It's Co-op, and controller compatible.
                                The Portal games are on my list for when she's quite a bit older. She's smart, but the puzzles would be beyond her, let alone the proper timing required for some of that.
                                I'm not here anymore.

Comment