Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

What Video Games Have You Been Playing?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I play Elder Scrolls which has loads of "gods," but their definition of "god" is much different than the Christian definition. They aren't all-powerful, all-knowing, all-good, and the universe can exist without them. They're just higher beings with a lot of power.

I really love Elder Scrolls because I'm a fan of mythological systems and lore, and Elder Scrolls has a deep mythological system
    "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Comment

Originally posted by Meta Knight View Post
      Bellona has been irritating since release. I mean, marginally less so now, but she's still top tier for a reason. Same with Puch's and Rat's constant nerfs.
      I'm glad that they've nerfed her, but I feel like her kit is just so jam-packed full of great mechanics that messing with numbers doesn't really cut it. She used to have a whole lot of everything, and now that they've nerfed her she just has a lot of everything. The problem wasn't that she had a whole lot of everything, but that she had a whole lot of everything.
      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

It doesn't bother me in the slightest playing games with 'gods' in them... for the simple reason that it is fiction, and such beings aren't gods even were they to exist in reality (ontological argument/axiological argument/cosmological argument, etc.). Of course, games that feature real religion in it are typically bad. For instance, in Assassin's Creed II, if you collect all of the Codex pages, one of them promotes the Christ Myth pagan copycat nonsense. Ugh.

As far as Civ V, I've not played it, and have only ever seen people play multiplayer. Looks good gameplay wise.

Although speaking of games with religion in them, Dante's Inferno was surprisingly good.
        My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Gaze View Post
          It doesn't bother me in the slightest playing games with 'gods' in them... for the simple reason that it is fiction, and such beings aren't gods even were they to exist in reality (ontological argument/axiological argument/cosmological argument, etc.). Of course, games that feature real religion in it are typically bad. For instance, in Assassin's Creed II, if you collect all of the Codex pages, one of them promotes the Christ Myth pagan copycat nonsense. Ugh.

As far as Civ V, I've not played it, and have only ever seen people play multiplayer. Looks good gameplay wise.

Although speaking of games with religion in them, Dante's Inferno was surprisingly good.
          Given all the conspiracy nonsense they have it's not surprising. Not good that they did it IMO, but not surprising. I mean, the whole game revolves around an artifact that causes mass illusions, and Templars trying to rule the world with said artifact. Still.

Comment

I'm thinking about picking up one of the Souls games again--probably Demon's Souls, since I beat Dark Souls 2 most recently and I lost my Dark Souls 1 disc. I might just dive right back into my second play-through, which I was like a fifth of the way through. Probably get totally destroyed for a while as I reacquaint myself.

Comment

I have Demon's Souls for the PS3 and Dark Souls and Dark Souls II for the Xbox 360. Haven't played them yet, though. I still need to finish Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory HD on the PS3. In other news, I now have all the multiplayer achievements for F.E.A.R. 2 done, netting me the Five Star General achievement. I am almost done with RE Revelations 2. Just need to do the medals, and finish the game in countdown mode and invisible enemy mode, and then a few miscellaneous achievements. Single player for F.E.A.R. 2 is pretty easy and shouldn't take long.

I'm thinking of starting Battlefield 4 and Binary Domain soon. At some point I am also going to tackle the behemoth that is Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter (aka GRAW), which has not one, not two, but THREE leaderboard achievements. Luckily, I know a couple of fellow maniacs who are willing to dedicate a lot of time. Luckily, you only need two people to do the Solo and Team leaderboards, they just take a long time. The Universal board doesn't take as long (still awhile, though) but you need a ladder of 24 accounts to reach the top spot. I won't start that though for awhile. Not until I'm in 'Murica.

Comment

I have Demon's Souls for the PS3 and Dark Souls and Dark Souls II for the Xbox 360. Haven't played them yet, though. I still need to finish Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory HD on the PS3. In other news, I now have all the multiplayer achievements for F.E.A.R. 2 done, netting me the Five Star General achievement. I am almost done with RE Revelations 2. Just need to do the medals, and finish the game in countdown mode and invisible enemy mode, and then a few miscellaneous achievements. Single player for F.E.A.R. 2 is pretty easy and shouldn't take long.

I'm thinking of starting Battlefield 4 and Binary Domain soon. At some point I am also going to tackle the behemoth that is Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter (aka GRAW), which has not one, not two, but THREE leaderboard achievements. Luckily, I know a couple of fellow maniacs who are willing to dedicate a lot of time. Luckily, you only need two people to do the Solo and Team leaderboards, they just take a long time. The Universal board doesn't take as long (still awhile, though) but you need a ladder of 24 accounts to reach the top spot. I won't start that though for awhile. Not until I'm in 'Murica.
                I would highly recommend all of the Soul's games. You can play them in any order, and I think they're all about equally good and equally difficult. Single-player video games almost can't hold my attention any more, but the Souls games are the one exception. The gameplay is so precise and so demanding and the settings and enemies (particularly bosses) so well done that I could always come back for more.

Edit: They're also all of appreciable length. I think Demon's Souls, which was the first one I played, took me close to 60 hours to beat. Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 are probably each a little longer. There's a lot to see and explore die to in those games.
                Last edited by Zymologist; 09-18-2015, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Yeah, Dragon Age: Origins took about 60 hours to complete not including the expansion and other DLC missions too. That was a really good game. Being a Bioware game, you have the option to 'romance' certain characters, and I accidentally attracted the character voiced by Claudia Black (Morrigan) without even trying. I never once intentionally tried to flirt with any of the party, and I still to this day have no idea what I did that 'worked.'

Comment

Yeah, Dragon Age: Origins took about 60 hours to complete not including the expansion and other DLC missions too. That was a really good game. Being a Bioware game, you have the option to 'romance' certain characters, and I accidentally attracted the character voiced by Claudia Black (Morrigan) without even trying. I never once intentionally tried to flirt with any of the party, and I still to this day have no idea what I did that 'worked.'
                    Obviously it's because you were "playing hard to get".

Comment

Total War: Shogun
                      XCom
                      "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                      -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      I support the :
                      sigpic

Comment

Dragon Age Origins was a really amazing game and I got swept up in it emotionally more than any other game I've ever played I think
                        "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Comment

Originally posted by hamster View Post
                          Dragon Age Origins was a really amazing game and I got swept up in it emotionally more than any other game I've ever played I think
                          For me that would be the Kingdom Hearts series. Especially 358/2 Days, and Birth By Sleep. The HD videos of Re:Coded seriously got me tearing up at the end.

Comment

Would there be any interest in a separate thread about religion and gaming, specifically, about times we've had a gaming experience that made good use of religion, or how games might use religion better than they usually do?
                            Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                              Would there be any interest in a separate thread about religion and gaming, specifically, about times we've had a gaming experience that made good use of religion, or how games might use religion better than they usually do?
                              Of course.

Comment

Of course.
                                I second that motion.
                                "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                                -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
                                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                I support the :
                                sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X