Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Piano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piano

Ok, so I'm not exactly sure what forum this goes in, but I thought I'd put it in here.

So I've decided that I need a better hobby than just playing video games and watching tv. I've also wanted to do something more involved in creation rather than just consumption. This summer, I visited family and saw how awesome my teenage cousin was at piano after only a few years of practicing piano. And I've heard that those who are musically-minded can easily learn languages. I'm language-minded, so maybe that means I can more easily pick up piano?

Anyway, I bought a 61-key electric keyboard last week to get me started. I also found some old adult piano course books I've started working through.

Any advice from piano aficionados about how to learn/what to learn? Any tips about piano? Basically what I would like to do is to sight-read and play worship music.

Thanks.
    sigpic

Take some lessons. You can only get so far without someone to help you learn fingering. Other than that, practice every day.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I never played an instrument but I taught myself music theory(also took a class) but I can't read music to save my life. Just the other day I played the piano for the first time and learned I can at least play by ear( at least an amateur level)so that was kinda cool. The song was exio's family but besides that I usually use a computer to make music.

When I get to college I want to find s tutor also I think it'll be fun to learn the piano. Though I rather play by ear than by reading the notes on a sheet.
      "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
      "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
      Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        Take some lessons. You can only get so far without someone to help you learn fingering. Other than that, practice every day.
        Thanks! Maybe after I get settled in the fall, I can see about lessons. They are pretty expensive, though, right? Right now when I'm not busy, I've been practicing every day. I hope to keep it up.

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
        I never played an instrument but I taught myself music theory(also took a class) but I can't read music to save my life. Just the other day I played the piano for the first time and learned I can at least play by ear( at least an amateur level)so that was kinda cool. The song was exio's family but besides that I usually use a computer to make music.

When I get to college I want to find s tutor also I think it'll be fun to learn the piano. Though I rather play by ear than by reading the notes on a sheet.
        Cool, maybe we can keep up and see how our piano adventures go. I don't see how you can do things by ear that soon! Why do you want to play piano?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post

Learn to do both - they both have advantages and disadvantages.

Originally posted by heartablaze View Post
          Thanks! Maybe after I get settled in the fall, I can see about lessons. They are pretty expensive, though, right? Right now when I'm not busy, I've been practicing every day. I hope to keep it up.
          They can be - see if you can find an instructor willing to give periodic lessons. If your local college has a music school you may can find a student willing to tutor intermittently - they can always use a little extra cash.

Originally posted by HA
          Cool, maybe we can keep up and see how our piano adventures go. I don't see how you can do things by ear that soon! Why do you want to play piano?
          Some people have that gift - but don't tell him. His ego is hard enough to get in the door as it is.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I've played music all my life. Mostly I'm self taught (on the guitar). I took piano lessons as a kid and played clarinet throughout elementary - HS. I never really took that instrument seriously. I'm 63 and have been playing guitar since I was 17. Of those 46 years I took lessons for two years but it was mostly reading tab and learning technique. Three years ago I started taking lessons again and am learning classical and jazz. I've "relearned" to read. I have learned so much more by having a teacher who knows more than I, is a proficient reader and well versed in theory. There are no short cuts. Get connected with a good teacher and practice every day. You earn your stripes and nothing comes easy. Even after 46 years of playing the guitar, it's amazing how much I don't know and can't do. But I'm gaining ground everyday. Repetition is the Mother of Knowledge & Understanding (a math professor said this to me when I asked what I should do to get these math concepts in my head). It's what I teach my students. Learn a concept correctly, practice it properly - over and over and over again. And the worst guitar teacher I ever had was myself. The best I've ever had is the guy that's helping me now. BTW, I can play "at" the piano and after about 6 months of guitar lessons I went to the piano and was able to play far better just using the new knowledge I had. IMO, nothing beats a competent teacher who knows where to start you out and how to direct you properly. My 2 cents. Best of luck!
            Faith is not what we fall back to when reason isn't available. It's the conviction of what we have reason to believe. Greg Koukl

The loss of objectivity in moral thought does not lead to liberation. It leads to oppression. Secular ideologies preach liberty, but they practice tyranny. — Nancy Pearcey

Comment

Lessons and get a full keyboard. Learn chords and not just notes.
              A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

They can be - see if you can find an instructor willing to give periodic lessons. If your local college has a music school you may can find a student willing to tutor intermittently - they can always use a little extra cash.
                Some people have that gift - but don't tell him. His ego is hard enough to get in the door as it is.

True, I should look into students...

How long have you played piano?

Originally posted by Papa Zoom View Post
                I've played music all my life. Mostly I'm self taught (on the guitar). I took piano lessons as a kid and played clarinet throughout elementary - HS. I never really took that instrument seriously. I'm 63 and have been playing guitar since I was 17. Of those 46 years I took lessons for two years but it was mostly reading tab and learning technique. Three years ago I started taking lessons again and am learning classical and jazz. I've "relearned" to read. I have learned so much more by having a teacher who knows more than I, is a proficient reader and well versed in theory. There are no short cuts. Get connected with a good teacher and practice every day. You earn your stripes and nothing comes easy. Even after 46 years of playing the guitar, it's amazing how much I don't know and can't do. But I'm gaining ground everyday. Repetition is the Mother of Knowledge & Understanding (a math professor said this to me when I asked what I should do to get these math concepts in my head). It's what I teach my students. Learn a concept correctly, practice it properly - over and over and over again. And the worst guitar teacher I ever had was myself. The best I've ever had is the guy that's helping me now. BTW, I can play "at" the piano and after about 6 months of guitar lessons I went to the piano and was able to play far better just using the new knowledge I had. IMO, nothing beats a competent teacher who knows where to start you out and how to direct you properly. My 2 cents. Best of luck!
                Sounds like a long process. There's the whole issue of money with getting a teacher, but I can definitely see how that would help. That's great on your gains in guitar and perseverance in keeping it up!

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                Lessons and get a full keyboard. Learn chords and not just notes.
                Isn't there a way to convert notes on a keyboard? (well, I guess I want to really see if this is something that will stick before investing in a full keyboard.) How long have you played piano?
                sigpic

Comment

Mallets, since high school. I took piano but I never really learned. I play keyboards I can hit with sticks!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Mallets, since high school. I took piano but I never really learned. I play keyboards I can hit with sticks!
                    Ooh fun! Is that anything like the marimba? I remember in my elementary school, we had some students learning marimba.

marimba.jpeg
                    sigpic

Comment

Exactly like marimba, which I have played. I mostly played orchestra bells/glockenspiel.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I've played the piano since I was a little girl of no more than 4. I'm in my 30's now, although life has taken me through mother hood. Its just been a hobby of mine. One that I really really like.
                        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                        George Bernard Shaw

Comment