Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

So just seen the 2nd half of Noah for the first time........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So just seen the 2nd half of Noah for the first time........

OK, no wonder Christians everywhere are totally annoyed with this movie. Noah is portrayed as a lunatic psycho who wants to kill his 2 granddaughters. OK, context of the movie suggests that all of mankind is supposed to die apparently, I don't know why Noah got that Idea. God may not tell him to be fruitful and multiply specifically till after they land after the flood but I think this kind of shows him jumping the gun quite a bit.

Not to mention it looks historically inaccurate. Noah's 3 sons all had wives I would believe. The bible definitely mentions plural:

Gen 8:15-16 Then God said to Noah, "Come out of the ark, you and your wife and your sons and their wives.

Gen 9:18 The sons of Noah who came out of the ark were Shem, Ham and Japheth. (Ham was the father of Canaan.) These were the three sons of Noah, and from them came the people who were scattered over the whole earth.

These verses seem to suggest that Noah, his wife, Noah's 3 sons and their 3 wives all boarded the ark.

Somebody please tell me that Exodus is better. I've still to see that but I'm always a bit hesitant to watch these kinds of movies because there is going to be this sort of trash about them.
    “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

I don't quite understand why Christian's get all up in arms over a Hollywood produced movie that is clearly loosely based upon the biblical narrative. Do you honestly go to the movie with the expectation that the film is going to stay true to the Bible or to garner better insight into the biblical narrative? it seems rather ridiculous when one simply considers the source of the production.

Take it for it is - entertainment.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
      I don't quite understand why Christian's get all up in arms over a Hollywood produced movie that is clearly loosely based upon the biblical narrative. Do you honestly go to the movie with the expectation that the film is going to stay true to the Bible or to garner better insight into the biblical narrative? it seems rather ridiculous when one simply considers the source of the production.
      Also, allegedly, the OT was also not their only source of inspiration for the movie. Plus, I expect Hollywood to take creative liberties.

... And even then, it still sucks.

If a movie wants us to like their protagonist, then they shouldn't turn him into a Prehistoric "Old Man Henderson." Seriously, I was almost expecting him to go on screaming about cultists and lawn gnomes.
      Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

That's why I'm a bit hesitant watching these modern biblical movies in the first place. It wasn't all bad but that one bit kind of ruins the movie I think.
        “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

Comment

I remember watching some version of Noah's ark where there were other people sailing in enemy arks
          "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Comment

Originally posted by hamster View Post
            I remember watching some version of Noah's ark where there were other people sailing in enemy arks
            That's probably the ones that the dinosaurs were in

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Comment

There are way more than just Noah's issues in that movie. Like the rock monster Nephilim, for instance.

Mr. mossy wanted to watch it, and he said the same thing to me......that it's just entertainment. So I watched it. My daughter and her husband had seen it in the theatre and told us it was awful. But we watched it anyway.

Unfortunately, it was incredibly difficult for me to get past the horrible error in it to even think of it as entertainment. I am concerned that those who watch it and don't know the truth will have, at the very least, a confused view of the actual story. It is better just to read the original Book.

We won't be watching Exodus. Sounds like it won't be any better than Noah.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                  There are way more than just Noah's issues in that movie. Like the rock monster Nephilim, for instance.

Mr. mossy wanted to watch it, and he said the same thing to me......that it's just entertainment. So I watched it. My daughter and her husband had seen it in the theatre and told us it was awful. But we watched it anyway.

Unfortunately, it was incredibly difficult for me to get past the horrible error in it to even think of it as entertainment. I am concerned that those who watch it and don't know the truth will have, at the very least, a confused view of the actual story. It is better just to read the original Book.

We won't be watching Exodus. Sounds like it won't be any better than Noah.
                  In regards to the rock monsters I didn't realise that they were supposed to be the Nephilim. I joined half way through the movie. I did see the rock monsters but I was just like "Mmmmm, apparently we have some freaky rock monsters protecting Noah here".

I do agree with the idea that people will get the wrong idea. I'm just waiting for the first skeptic to actually use "Noah tried to kill his two granddaughters" as an argument within a debate.

Comment

I am concerned that those who watch it and don't know the truth will have, at the very least, a confused view of the actual story. It is better just to read the original Book.
                    In all likelihood most unbelievers, watching a Hollywood movie, would regard both the movie and the biblical narrative as fiction.

Comment

In all likelihood most unbelievers, watching a Hollywood movie, would regard both the movie and the biblical narrative as fiction.
                      That is indeed likely.

But I heard the argument from Christians when the movie came out that at least it might start some questions being asked. In my opinion, this kind of thing is not the best way to get people to start asking questions about anything to do with scripture.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

That is indeed likely.

But I heard the argument from Christians when the movie came out that at least it might start some questions being asked. In my opinion, this kind of thing is not the best way to get people to start asking questions about anything to do with scripture.
                        I would be surprised if the movie piqued even one unbelievers curiosity in the Bible.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
                          Also, allegedly, the OT was also not their only source of inspiration for the movie.
                          If I recall properly the OT was not at all the source for the movie. The source was another, non-biblical account of the flood and human survivors. I have searched for the source but I can not recall where I even read of it.
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                            If I recall properly the OT was not at all the source for the movie. The source was another, non-biblical account of the flood and human survivors. I have searched for the source but I can not recall where I even read of it.
                            According to this thread Noah is this a good movie? Is it good history? the influences were I Enoch along with Gnosticism and the Kabbalah.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Well that explains a lot.

Comment