Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Heavy Metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy Metal

So, I like metal. (see left)

This thread is just meant to be a place to post metal that you like. I'll start with a smattering from a variety of subgenres. More melodic stuff at the top, harsher stuff toward the bottom. I'll leave it for you to decide which end of the spectrum I tend to fall.

Power metal:

Doom metal:

Now we're getting to the good stuff....

A variety of folk metal (some folkier than others):

Funeral doom metal (most people don't know this is a reasonably well-defined subgenre of metal):

Black/Funeral doom metal (this is a sparsely populated subgenre, but it contains one of my all-time favorite albums. I'll just link the whole thing here; listen at your leisure, or not):

Death metal (pretty much my favorite subgenre, but I'll restrict it to just a couple):

I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Heavy Metal

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I bet you didn't even listen through half of those, did you?

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
        I bet you didn't even listen through half of those, did you?
        Half of what?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Heavy Metal

My dad took me to see this when I was 5 or 6. Screwed me up. He couldn't figure out why I was freaking out over a cartoon. Love my dad, but sometimes he's not so empathetic. Turns out to be one of my favorite films now.

Comment

Sulphur Aeon

Cthulhu Fhtagn

Comment

Here's a very nice one.

-The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
              Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
              Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Originally posted by CMD View Post
                Sulphur Aeon

Cthulhu Fhtagn
                I almost posted that band. Really awesome.

Comment

I was a big metalhead in the mid 80s to the very early 90s, went through phases of 70s/80s metal, then the glam stuff, and finally thrash and speed metal, but after awhile the themes in the lyrics grated on me for being so simplistic. Sex, booze, girls, faux satanism and 666 eeevil, suicide, depression... It was all just so negative, and macho, and cheesy. By about 91 or 92 I was moving towards punk rock because it seemed so much more constructive. They were singing about politics, and social issues, and the scene wasn't filled with stoners, and unaware nihilists, but instead with artistic types, and intellectuals. People who were reading the Beat poets, Rimbaud, and Emma Goldman, and were into weird hair and clothes, and making posters, and hanging out at Kinkos all day, and drinking coffee at truck stops at 2 AM. The whole scene seemed so much more vibrant. Even the music was less polished and more raw, chaotic and unpredictable. My dad took me to art galleries in Providence, RI when I was a kid, and I was always in awe of the the punk rockers and mods and skinheads, and New Wavers, and I think that rubbed off on me, so I was pretty receptive to it by the time I was in high school.

I remember watching Beavis and Butthead when it first came on, and instead of finding it hilarious like everyone else did, I remember being repulsed by the characters because I had known stoner metalheads just like that.

Its only been very recently that I've kinda started becoming more interested in some metal. Mostly doom and sludge, psychedelic, drone...that type of stuff. I like metal that's dark, crunchy, maybe a bit groovy, bassy, and kinda slow. I'm not actively seeking that sound out or anything, but if I run across it while listening to my music podcasts or looking through youtube, I can get into it. I really dig finding old 70s bands, like a couple years ago I watched the Last Days Here documentary about Pentagram's front man Bobby Liebling and was totally into it.

Metal I can't stand includes any of that screamo hardcore stuff. I know some people consider it some sort of punk hybrid, but that stuff ain't punk in my book. Even a lot of heavy hardcore and crust punk I'm not into. I got nothing against intense music. I'm into industrial and avant garde, and even some found sound and tape cut-up noise type stuff (heck, I just saw the Swans play last week, and they're more intense than most metal bands I know of), but I can't listen to, like, Cannibal Corpse or Burzum, or Enslaved or any of that kind of stuff. The history of some of those bands is interesting, but the music does nothing for me.

I liked the Power Metal band you posted here, Sabaton. The second band, Evangelist...it was okay until the singer sang, and it reminded me of bad glam. But once he stopped singing again, I liked it. I'm listening to the third song now, and, eh... not sure its my thing.

Oh another genre I really don't like is Gothic metal or symphonic whatever they're calling it. Having been into the goth and deathrock scenes for almost as long as I've been into punk, gothic metal is like nails on a chalkboard, and it drives me completely nuts when people can't distinguish between the genres. Thankfully that terrible emo stuff came along to make things so confusing that no one knew what Goth music was anymore, and I could enjoy it in peace without people thinking I was referring to Nightwish and Evanescence.

Yeah. I'm a music snob. You gonna do somethin about it?
                  Last edited by Adrift; 03-13-2015, 09:26 PM.

Comment

I wanted to post Sabaton first. Darn. Oh well, I'll still link to it anyway.

Also Hammerfall, in all their low-budge 2008 glory.

Comment

Does this count?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                        I was a big metalhead in the mid 80s to the very early 90s, went through phases of 70s/80s metal, then the glam stuff, and finally thrash and speed metal, but after awhile the themes in the lyrics grated on me for being so simplistic. Sex, booze, girls, faux satanism and 666 eeevil, suicide, depression... It was all just so negative, and macho, and cheesy. By about 91 or 92 I was moving towards punk rock because it seemed so much more constructive. They were singing about politics, and social issues, and the scene wasn't filled with stoners, and unaware nihilists, but instead with artistic types, and intellectuals. People who were reading the Beat poets, Rimbaud, and Emma Goldman, and were into weird hair and clothes, and making posters, and hanging out at Kinkos all day, and drinking coffee at truck stops at 2 AM. The whole scene seemed so much more vibrant. Even the music was less polished and more raw, chaotic and unpredictable. My dad took me to art galleries in Providence, RI when I was a kid, and I was always in awe of the the punk rockers and mods and skinheads, and New Wavers, and I think that rubbed off on me, so I was pretty receptive to it by the time I was in high school.

I remember watching Beavis and Butthead when it first came on, and instead of finding it hilarious like everyone else did, I remember being repulsed by the characters because I had known stoner metalheads just like that.

Its only been very recently that I've kinda started becoming more interested in some metal. Mostly doom and sludge, psychedelic, drone...that type of stuff. I like metal that's dark, crunchy, maybe a bit groovy, bassy, and kinda slow. I'm not actively seeking that sound out or anything, but if I run across it while listening to my music podcasts or looking through youtube, I can get into it. I really dig finding old 70s bands, like a couple years ago I watched the Last Days Here documentary about Pentagram's front man Bobby Liebling and was totally into it.

Metal I can't stand includes any of that screamo hardcore stuff. I know some people consider it some sort of punk hybrid, but that stuff ain't punk in my book. Even a lot of heavy hardcore and crust punk I'm not into. I got nothing against intense music. I'm into industrial and avant garde, and even some found sound and tape cut-up noise type stuff (heck, I just saw the Swans play last week, and they're more intense than most metal bands I know of), but I can't listen to, like, Cannibal Corpse or Burzum, or Enslaved or any of that kind of stuff. The history of some of those bands is interesting, but the music does nothing for me.

I liked the Power Metal band you posted here, Sabaton. The second band, Evangelist...it was okay until the singer sang, and it reminded me of bad glam. But once he stopped singing again, I liked it. I'm listening to the third song now, and, eh... not sure its my thing.

Oh another genre I really don't like is Gothic metal or symphonic whatever they're calling it. Having been into the goth and deathrock scenes for almost as long as I've been into punk, gothic metal is like nails on a chalkboard, and it drives me completely nuts when people can't distinguish between the genres. Thankfully that terrible emo stuff came along to make things so confusing that no one knew what Goth music was anymore, and I could enjoy it in peace without people thinking I was referring to Nightwish and Evanescence.

Yeah. I'm a music snob. You gonna do somethin about it?
                        Calling these bands screamo/hardcore makes me sad.

Comment

New Sulphur Aeon (which I'll preorder shortly):

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                            Calling these bands screamo/hardcore makes me sad.
                            Which bands? I didn't see any in your links that I would consider screamo or hardcore.

Edit: Oh. I see what you're saying. NO! I'm not calling Cannibal Corpse, Burzum, or Enslaved screamo. I probably should have clarified. I was saying I also wasn't into death or black metal like those bands. Sorry for the confusion.
                            Last edited by Adrift; 03-13-2015, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                              Which bands? I didn't see any in your links that I would consider screamo or hardcore.
                              You said something about not liking screamo and hardcore bands, and then shortly later mentioned Cannibal Corpse and Burzum.

Anyway, my comment was meant to be funny. Don't take anything I say in this thread too seriously.

Edit: But you're still wrong about not liking extreme metal.

Comment