Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Don't Starve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't Starve

Don't Starve is a sandbox game about surviving for as long as possible. Your enemies are: wild animals, insanity, and, above all, hunger. It is surprisingly difficult to keep starvation at bay.

Anyone played it?
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

I have the single-player version, but I haven't actually gotten around to playing it yet. One of these days...

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
      I have the single-player version, but I haven't actually gotten around to playing it yet. One of these days...
      It's actually harder in multiplayer, because (AFAICT) they don't increase the amount of available food proportionate to the number of players.

Comment

Yeah, I have it, it looked interesting. I've played it a bit, never got to the "adventure mode", I always die first.

Comment

One of my first goals in this game is to find some cows, so that I have a constant supply of manure to build farms with. It seems to me that your best bet is to establish some sort of sustainable food production, even if it has to be supplemented by foraging. It's not easy, though.

Comment

I've also learned that traps (for catching rabbits) are very hit and miss, and not nearly as reliable as farms.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
              I've also learned that traps (for catching rabbits) are very hit and miss, and not nearly as reliable as farms.
              Those are actually pretty reliable if you put them almost directly over rabbit holes.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                Those are actually pretty reliable if you put them almost directly over rabbit holes.
                Really? Huh, I've just been placing them near the holes and calling it good. Turns out I've been doing it wrong.

Comment

Really? Huh, I've just been placing them near the holes and calling it good. Turns out I've been doing it wrong.
                  You can also put the trap between a rabbit and it's hole, and if you chase the rabbit it will run right into it.

There's also baits, like carrots, but those aren't needed if you can master the positioning of the traps.

Comment

I would highly suggest looking into setting up a bee farm. They regenerate honey very quickly as a sustainable food source, the honey heals you, and its a plentiful ingredient for crock pot recipes.

Comment

Originally posted by Knowing Thomas View Post
                      I would highly suggest looking into setting up a bee farm. They regenerate honey very quickly as a sustainable food source, the honey heals you, and its a plentiful ingredient for crock pot recipes.
                      I haven't gotten that far yet. I'm going to have to make another attempt at some point.

Comment

Don't Starve is a sandbox game about surviving for as long as possible. Your enemies are: wild animals, insanity, and, above all, hunger. It is surprisingly difficult to keep starvation at bay.

Anyone played it?
                        Played it? I have LIVED it.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Played it? I have LIVED it.
                          I see what you did there!

Comment

The beta for multiplayer is now out for everyone. Maybe sometime we should try setting up a session for all of us on here who have it.

Comment

Your enemies are: wild animals, insanity, ...
                              So, sort of like TWeb?
                              That's what
                              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment