Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

movies that choke you up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jedidiah
    replied
    Originally posted by Manwë Súlimo View Post
    Yeah. And

well I'm back.jpg I could not find a video of that one. Always gets to me.

Leave a comment:

• Manwë Súlimo
    replied
    Originally posted by Rushing Jaws View Post
    "The Return of the King" - the books are even "worse"

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by T-Shirt Ninja View Post
    I don't cry at movies...except one.

Schindler's List

It is the only movie that had me weeping like a baby by the end. The last scene really opened up the waterworks.
    Wow, yeah... forgot that one.

Leave a comment:

• T-Shirt Ninja
    replied
    I don't cry at movies...except one.

Schindler's List

It is the only movie that had me weeping like a baby by the end. The last scene really opened up the waterworks.

Leave a comment:

• Rushing Jaws
    replied
    "The Return of the King" - the books are even "worse"

Leave a comment:

• Adrift
    replied
    Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    Poledouris! Brilliant man!

But the best of his music, in the past few decades, anyway, is Quigley Down Under. And yes, I cry at the end.
    Quigley Down Under was a fun film.

Leave a comment:

• Adrift
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Old Yeller
    Maaaan. I had to watch that dumb movie in grade school, and balled like a baby. Why would you show a movie like that to children?

So, yeah, anyways, we showed it to my young nieces. They liked it, but not a tear shed. Cold-hearted kids.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Old Yeller

Leave a comment:

• The Unknown Comic
    replied
    Fried Green Tomatoes.

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    Originally posted by Knowing Thomas View Post
    My favorite movie from the 80s and one of my favorite movies of all time is Conan the Barbarian (1982). I love classic sword and sorcery movies in general, musclebound barbarians dueling with grim necromancers in decrepit tombs, but what makes Conan the Barbarian different is the utter lack of dialogue throughout the movie. Conan says a grand total of 4 words to his love interest throughout the entire movie; all within the first minute of meeting her ("You're no guard!" "No"), but the music beautifully composed by the late Basil Poledouris articulates the grief and vengeance over love lost by using musical themes used throughout the movie.

I'd post the scene that happens right after this, but I don't want to break forum rules.

Poledouris! Brilliant man!

But the best of his music, in the past few decades, anyway, is Quigley Down Under. And yes, I cry at the end.

Leave a comment:

• Adrift
    replied
    Originally posted by Knowing Thomas View Post
    My favorite movie from the 80s and one of my favorite movies of all time is Conan the Barbarian (1982). I love classic sword and sorcery movies in general, musclebound barbarians dueling with grim necromancers in decrepit tombs, but what makes Conan the Barbarian different is the utter lack of dialogue throughout the movie. Conan says a grand total of 4 words to his love interest throughout the entire movie; all within the first minute of meeting her ("You're no guard!" "No"), but the music beautifully composed by the late Basil Poledouris articulates the grief and vengeance over love lost by using musical themes used throughout the movie.

I'd post the scene that happens right after this, but I don't want to break forum rules.
    I don't think its remarkable as a film that chokes me up, but Conan the Barbarian is one of my favorite films of all time. For so few words, the film is loaded with some heavy philosophy (lots of Nietzscheism), and in my opinion, is a bit of a biting critique on the then rising New Age movement. And yeah, who can forget that score. Absolutely wonderful.

And then they messed it all up by giving it a couple lousy sequels (one official, one not), and a terrible reboot. I know they've been talking about a Conan the King. I pray they get Milius' creative input into it somehow.

Leave a comment:

• fm93
    replied
    Very excellent submissions. But the correct answer is "Grave of the Fireflies."

Although "Brian's Song" is also an acceptable response.

Leave a comment:

• Knowing Thomas
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied
    Oh yeah, I forgot about My Girl. It's been a long time since I last saw it.

Leave a comment:

• Catholicity
    replied
    Apollo 13, That scene that Cow poke mentioned in you've got mail, and Simon Birch.....

Leave a comment: