Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

movies that choke you up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I know it's a popular movie to hate and widely seen as super cheesy... but Crash. The bullet scene with the kid especially.
    I wonder how many people have gone to rent that film and accidentally picked up Cronenberg's Crash.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
      I wonder how many people have gone to rent that film and accidentally picked up Cronenberg's Crash.
      Uh...I've seen a couple of Cronenberg movies (not that one though)...and yeah. Hope they don't make that mistake.
      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I dare anyone to watch Life is Beautiful and not come to the end balling their head off.

On that same note, The Pianist always gets me, especially after having read Polanski's autobiography. A lot of the atmosphere of that film is from personal experience.

The documentary Dear Zachary is utterly heartbreaking. There's a moment in the film where my blood froze.

David Lynch, mostly known for his out there surreal work (and Dune) did a couple of a very touching films: the black and white The Elephant Man with John Hurt and Anthony Hopkins, and the Disney produced The Straight Story with Richard Farnsworth, Sissy Spacek and Harry Dean Stanton. Both are phenomenal. Both probably made my eyes wet.

Special mention to my mom's favorites which include Mr. Holland's Opus, and Dead Poet Society.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
          Uh...I've seen a couple of Cronenberg movies (not that one though)...and yeah. Hope they don't make that mistake.
          Yeah. I really like Cronenberg's horror and surreal stuff, but Crash is disturbing on a whole other level. Not a film I plan on revisiting anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
            Transformers: The Movie (1986). Every time I watch Optimus die.
            11 year old me was pretty torn up about that scene. Rented the film like 10-15 years later and was sorely disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
              Ink, which is probably one of my favorite movies anyway.
              That was a strange little film, but I don't remember a whole lot about it. Like I watched it, and sorta forgot about it. What about it did you like so much?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                That was a strange little film, but I don't remember a whole lot about it. Like I watched it, and sorta forgot about it. What about it did you like so much?
                Great question. My answer: I'm not sure. It was surprisingly funny (especially the blind guy), and there was just something about the dad's change of heart. It is a strange movie for sure. I'm oddly drawn to the strange ones.
                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  OK. I admit I do have emotions after all. I cry whenever you hit me with the Pin®
                  Got tissue handy?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                    Got tissue handy?

Comment

Apollo 13, That scene that Cow poke mentioned in you've got mail, and Simon Birch.....
                      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Oh yeah, I forgot about My Girl. It's been a long time since I last saw it.

Comment

My favorite movie from the 80s and one of my favorite movies of all time is Conan the Barbarian (1982). I love classic sword and sorcery movies in general, musclebound barbarians dueling with grim necromancers in decrepit tombs, but what makes Conan the Barbarian different is the utter lack of dialogue throughout the movie. Conan says a grand total of 4 words to his love interest throughout the entire movie; all within the first minute of meeting her ("You're no guard!" "No"), but the music beautifully composed by the late Basil Poledouris articulates the grief and vengeance over love lost by using musical themes used throughout the movie.

I'd post the scene that happens right after this, but I don't want to break forum rules.

Comment

Very excellent submissions. But the correct answer is "Grave of the Fireflies."

Although "Brian's Song" is also an acceptable response.
                            Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by Knowing Thomas View Post
                              My favorite movie from the 80s and one of my favorite movies of all time is Conan the Barbarian (1982). I love classic sword and sorcery movies in general, musclebound barbarians dueling with grim necromancers in decrepit tombs, but what makes Conan the Barbarian different is the utter lack of dialogue throughout the movie. Conan says a grand total of 4 words to his love interest throughout the entire movie; all within the first minute of meeting her ("You're no guard!" "No"), but the music beautifully composed by the late Basil Poledouris articulates the grief and vengeance over love lost by using musical themes used throughout the movie.

I'd post the scene that happens right after this, but I don't want to break forum rules.
                              I don't think its remarkable as a film that chokes me up, but Conan the Barbarian is one of my favorite films of all time. For so few words, the film is loaded with some heavy philosophy (lots of Nietzscheism), and in my opinion, is a bit of a biting critique on the then rising New Age movement. And yeah, who can forget that score. Absolutely wonderful.

And then they messed it all up by giving it a couple lousy sequels (one official, one not), and a terrible reboot. I know they've been talking about a Conan the King. I pray they get Milius' creative input into it somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by Knowing Thomas View Post

Poledouris! Brilliant man!

But the best of his music, in the past few decades, anyway, is Quigley Down Under. And yes, I cry at the end.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment