Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Totally Lost......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    It was voted the best series of the last decade.
    The first two seasons were some of the best tv I had seen at that point. That's what makes so many people frustrated that it fell off so far after that point. For me, the most successful show before that period was the Sopranos, and even that got kinda stale after the first 4 or so seasons. It was pretty much the same thing over and over again. It wasn't bad, and I didn't feel betrayed like I did watching Lost, but that ending was controversial too.

Heroes suffered a similar fate as Lost. First season was genius, followed by "well, okay, what do we do now?" And also the same can be said for the Battlestar Galactica reboot. Season 1 and half of 2 were awesome! And then...um...where are we going with this? The only shows I've watched an entire run of that didn't follow the "what do we do now" fate of post-season 1 success was The Wire, Rome (which got cut short and would have been marvelous), and Breaking Bad. And Breaking Bad had a few ups and downs in the middle there.

I think True Detective made a smart decision by going with a new story line and new cast each season. Keeps things fresh.

Comment

Originally posted by DLAbaoaqu View Post
      Never watched Lost.
      Now that's a review of yours I would really like to see in the future! Whether you like it or dislike it, your reviews are quite entertaining.
      "Concentrate on what you have to do. Fix your eyes on it. Remind yourself that your task is to be a good human being; remind yourself what nature demands of people. Then do it, without hesitation, and speak the truth as you see it. But with kindness. With humility. Without hypocrisy."
      -Marcus Aurelius

Comment

They said from the start that they knew exactly where they were going and that it would only be 6 seasons. They had the plot and the resolution in mind all along.
        My understanding is that they had the overall plot in mind but a lot of fleshing out of details had to be done as time went on. I think it was well done. Other shows that tried that failed miserably (I'm looking at you, Heroes, and all of your nonsense plot holes).
        "Concentrate on what you have to do. Fix your eyes on it. Remind yourself that your task is to be a good human being; remind yourself what nature demands of people. Then do it, without hesitation, and speak the truth as you see it. But with kindness. With humility. Without hypocrisy."
        -Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Originally posted by T-Shirt Ninja View Post
          My understanding is that they had the overall plot in mind but a lot of fleshing out of details had to be done as time went on. I think it was well done. Other shows that tried that failed miserably (I'm looking at you, Heroes, and all of your nonsense plot holes).
          Heroes worked until the writer's strike. Once they had to start rushing the scripts to catch up, they painted themselves into a terrible corner.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I hated Twin Peaks.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Heroes worked until the writer's strike. Once they had to start rushing the scripts to catch up, they painted themselves into a terrible corner.
              The only reason I kept watching that show was Sylar. His character was fascinating and very conflicted with himself. Zachary Quinto nailed it with superb acting. I'll give the reboot a chance but I'm a bit skeptical.
              -Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                I hated Twin Peaks.

Its not for everyone.

For some reason I never watched the series when it was on. I was in my teens, so I was the perfect demographic for it, but I guess I just never thought much about it, but I LOVED the movie (Fire Walk With Me). I've watched that film probably 10 times. Its so dark, and so deep...There is a lot of rich spiritual symbolism in that film that I'm not sure Lynch is fully consciously aware of. I watched the series years later, and really liked it, but its pretty dated now. It rarely went to some of the darker places that the film does, but I don't think they would have been able to in the early 90s when it was on air. With shows like Hannibal, and Breaking Bad setting the stage, that shouldn't be a problem at all now.

Comment

Originally posted by T-Shirt Ninja View Post
                  The only reason I kept watching that show was Sylar. His character was fascinating and very conflicted with himself. Zachary Quinto nailed it with superb acting. I'll give the reboot a chance but I'm a bit skeptical.
                  Sylar should have died at the end of season 1, and then come back somehow in like, season 5. By forcing him to be the main villain throughout, they took away what was so special about him. Also, they had no idea what to do with Peter once he became super powerful. I liked that he was super powerful. They just needed a storyline that had him dealing with that, or with villains who were as powerful. Also the fact that they never gave us the Hiro they promised was super frustrating. I wanted to see a kick-butt future samurai who could time travel, but that never materialized. Also, the storyline with Nikki Sanders and her triplet sisters was really confusing. They should have just killed her character off, and then just ended it, or they should have hinted way earlier that she was a triplet, or something. Whatever. It didn't work.

The problem with the show was that originally it was supposed to be a different group of superheros every season, but when audiences showed so much love for the original team, they decided to the jettison that idea and stick with what they had. I think I would have disliked a series that changed up like that every season, but I think it could have worked if they did cameos of previous heroes, or if they had all the heroes fighting some epic battle against a bunch of villains in a future season.

Its sad that we have more superhero shows than ever before, but none of them really capture the magic of Heroes season 1. Alphas came very close, but then they canceled it on a cliffhanger in season 2.

Comment

The first time I watched Lost, I thought it was awesome.

The second time I watched Lost, I thought it was...somewhat less awesome. In fact, it began to irritate me so much that it became a real chore to just finish it.
                    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                      When did Aaron die?

What happened to the dog?

Was Ben not dead at the end? Is that why he wasn't in the chapel at the end?

When did Hugo die? Didn't he and Ben stay on the island after Jack died to look after the place.

And why did Kate have to be so incredibly annoying, in every episode?
                      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                        That!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                          That's Evangeline Lily for you.
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                            Sylar should have died at the end of season 1, and then come back somehow in like, season 5. By forcing him to be the main villain throughout, they took away what was so special about him. Also, they had no idea what to do with Peter once he became super powerful. I liked that he was super powerful. They just needed a storyline that had him dealing with that, or with villains who were as powerful. Also the fact that they never gave us the Hiro they promised was super frustrating. I wanted to see a kick-butt future samurai who could time travel, but that never materialized. Also, the storyline with Nikki Sanders and her triplet sisters was really confusing. They should have just killed her character off, and then just ended it, or they should have hinted way earlier that she was a triplet, or something. Whatever. It didn't work.

The problem with the show was that originally it was supposed to be a different group of superheros every season, but when audiences showed so much love for the original team, they decided to the jettison that idea and stick with what they had. I think I would have disliked a series that changed up like that every season, but I think it could have worked if they did cameos of previous heroes, or if they had all the heroes fighting some epic battle against a bunch of villains in a future season.

Its sad that we have more superhero shows than ever before, but none of them really capture the magic of Heroes season 1. Alphas came very close, but then they canceled it on a cliffhanger in season 2.
                            You do know that they are doing a new Heroes, right? The Peacock has ordered 13 episodes of Heroes: Reborn, an "event miniseries" that'll be helmed by original Heroes creator Tim Kring and air sometime in 2015.
                            That's what
                            - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

You do know that they are doing a new Heroes, right? The Peacock has ordered 13 episodes of Heroes: Reborn, an "event miniseries" that'll be helmed by original Heroes creator Tim Kring and air sometime in 2015.
                              No, I did not know that. Sounds great. Hopefully all of these superhero shows coming on all at once doesn't turn people off of the genre.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                                No, I did not know that. Sounds great. Hopefully all of these superhero shows coming on all at once doesn't turn people off of the genre.
                                TV is like that. Once a genre is shown to be popular, the networks start tossing stuff at the wall and see what sticks. Like westerns back in the 60's. Or sitcoms in the 80's and crime shows for the last 20 years, and recently reality shows.

Comment