Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Totally Lost......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    Yep. I wouldn't even have minded the ending if the beginning of the series wasn't so good, but like I said, when you finally realize that the writers never had a clue how to resolve the thing in the first place, its maddeningly frustrating. On a good note, however, if you like mysteries, Twin Peaks is supposed to be back on air pretty soon. I'm the super huge David Lynch fan, and can't wait to see what he has planned.
    Sounds like The Pretender - the season before last was iffy and the final one was unwatchable.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      Nope. Not one person expressed repentance for sin and acceptance of Christ as Saviour, hence none are redeemed.
      So the chapel is really hell. Well that explains why the ending sucked so bad then I guess...

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
        And those that do are better than those that do not, who are thus 'worse'? Perhaps you meant to say 'worse off', but if you truly meant to imply better and worse in some sort of moral sense, I would agree that grace is meant to be internalized and transform us and make us into better persons. How very Catholic of you!
        I did not intend to imply better and worse in a moral sense, except that that is how the unredeemed world views whether or not a person should be allowed into heaven. And a secular program such as this one certainly portrays that view.

The so-called "good" are allowed into heaven because of the "good" works they eventually did, even to the point of sacrificing themselves for the sake of others. Death is, once again, The Great Equalizer, and everybody except poor old Ben gets to go there regardless of how they lived their lives.

Without Christ, all are "Lost", regardless of the good they did or did not do.
        Last edited by mossrose; 01-03-2015, 01:20 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
          I did not intend to imply better and worse in a moral sense ...
          Well, it was worth a shot.
          βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
          ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            Sounds like The Pretender - the season before last was iffy and the final one was unwatchable.
            Lost is much more a serialized, single story arc type show. There's one terrible episode I can think of that didn't follow that rule (a couple of dimwit greedy thieves that we've never really encountered before look for money and get whats coming to them). The Pretender was sort of a procedural, wasn't it? It might have had a story arc in the background, but each show solves a specific case. I think I watched a few episodes when it first came on, but I got bored of it. Too much like Quantum Leap, or any of the myriad other shows that attempt to do the same type of thing. I mean, cool concept, but I'm so spoiled by serialized TV now, that I can't go back to freak of the week type stuff. The exception is Blacklist, which I wasn't really into, but somehow I accidentally got my mom and dad into it. The story arc is much closer to the forefront in that show, but its still a procedural.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
              Lost is much more a serialized, single story arc type show. There's one terrible episode I can think of that didn't follow that rule (a couple of dimwit greedy thieves that we've never really encountered before look for money and get whats coming to them). The Pretender was sort of a procedural, wasn't it? It might have had a story arc in the background, but each show solves a specific case. I think I watched a few episodes when it first came on, but I got bored of it. Too much like Quantum Leap, or any of the myriad other shows that attempt to do the same type of thing. I mean, cool concept, but I'm so spoiled by serialized TV now, that I can't go back to freak of the week type stuff. The exception is Blacklist, which I wasn't really into, but somehow I accidentally got my mom and dad into it. The story arc is much closer to the forefront in that show, but its still a procedural.
              It was more of a mix - the background plot came more and more into the foreground. Problem was, they had little concept of where they were going with it. It followed the Fugitive model so the 'freak of the week' thing was more natural. It was a cute show, nothing great, but they still managed to totally muck it up at the end.

Yes, I like Quantum Leap.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

With each post about it, I'm getting gladder and gladder that I missed this.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I liked the show. Unanswered questions and messy unresolved things don't bother me that much. I liked the character interactions and dynamics. The plot was a bit convoluted but I don't think that should stop someone from watching it to see if they like it or not.
                  "Concentrate on what you have to do. Fix your eyes on it. Remind yourself that your task is to be a good human being; remind yourself what nature demands of people. Then do it, without hesitation, and speak the truth as you see it. But with kindness. With humility. Without hypocrisy."
                  -Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Never watched Lost.

Comment

Originally posted by DLAbaoaqu View Post
                      Never watched Lost.
                      Me too neither.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I loved it. Even the ending worked for me.
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by T-Shirt Ninja View Post
                          The plot was a bit convoluted but I don't think that should stop someone from watching it to see if they like it or not.
                          They said from the start that they knew exactly where they were going and that it would only be 6 seasons. They had the plot and the resolution in mind all along.
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by DLAbaoaqu View Post
                            Never watched Lost.
                            It was voted the best series of the last decade.
                            That's what
                            - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                              I loved it. Even the ending worked for me.
                              I always suspected that about you.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                                They said from the start that they knew exactly where they were going and that it would only be 6 seasons. They had the plot and the resolution in mind all along.
                                I've heard them say that, and I just don't believe it. This recent interview with Damon Lindelof doesn't help either,

I remember sort of huddling over in a corner with a couple of execs, and they were saying, ‘It's going to be OK, but don't expect anything big to happen. ABC has had a hard time launching shows, 8 p.m. is the family hour, and it has no lead in.' And I remember feeling just tremendous relief over the course of this conversation because my fantasy was that would be this kind of culty 13 episodes and out show. Maybe like a Firefly. That was really the trajectory that I was hoping for.
                                That first season, really creatively, we weren't able to do any advance work until the first season ended, because we had a tiger by the tail. And because JJ and I had met so late in the game and put the pilot together so quickly and it was greenlit without a script, blah blah blah. This sense that the audience was feeling that we were making it up as we were going along was a very real feeling and I was the one that was like, ‘Now there is so far to fall.'
                                He later says that when he's asked people when they lost interest in the series it was right around the beginning of the second season, which is exactly how I felt too. I think by that point they had moved away from the original idea of maybe 13ish episodes and were then in uncharted territory. They probably threw a plan on where to take the series after that once they realized the show was a ratings success, and maybe even decided on the max number of seasons they wanted, but I sincerely doubt they thought of how to end the show till very close to the 5th or 6th season.
                                Last edited by Adrift; 01-03-2015, 08:55 PM.

Comment