Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Exodus: Gods and Kings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exodus: Gods and Kings

Apparently, someone decided they needed to one-up the Noah movie in inaccuracy.

Excruciating Exodus Movie Exudes Errors (BAS review - contains spoilers).
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

I am crushed by this news. My expectations for this movie were so high.

It kind of looked to me like a live-action version of Prince of Egypt. (My expectations were not actually high.)
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
      I am crushed by this news. My expectations for this movie were so high.

It kind of looked to me like a live-action version of Prince of Egypt. (My expectations were not actually high.)
      Heheh, I got the same impression, when I first watched the trailer. And, oh-man-oh-man, do I loves me some Prince of Egypt. Every time I watch it, I end up annoying my wife to no end from incessantly singing The River Lullaby for days at a time.

"[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
      --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

Despite inaccuracies, I actually like Prince of Egypt.

Comment

I generally like it when a movie differs from the book and gives a unique interpretation, and I did appreciate some of the new twists in this movie, but it was mostly long and boring. Half the time Moses looked either wooden or like a doofus, but sometimes like a skilled military strategist, which was kind of cool. But most of the variations from the biblical account did not seem to have any particular merit. I also liked the use of a child to portray God and that the final plague about the death of the first born was originally Pharoah's idea.

For those who appreciate midrash, targums, and the book of Enoch, Noah was a much better film, except, of course, for the Watchers portrayed as CGI rocky transformers.
          Last edited by robrecht; 12-20-2014, 10:41 AM.
          βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
          ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
            Despite inaccuracies, I actually like Prince of Egypt.
            Dude, I'm a full-fledged atheist who lost his faith after researching the historicity of the Exodus, and I still love that movie. Extremely emotionally powerful, great music, fantastic animation, well-written and acted... It really is a good film.

I really wanted to like Exodus: Gods and Kings, as well, because I'm a big fan of Christian Bale and Ridley Scott. Unfortunately, the reviews I've been hearing make me doubt that I will.
            "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
            --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
              I liked that the final plague about the death of the first born was originally Pharoah's idea.
              Prince of Egypt does a good job of this too. The heiroglyph sequence brings back the original slaughter of the Hebrew males as the origin of the last plague.

Comment

Does anyone have any information regarding the "film that is coming out in short order on the Exodus" by Oswalt and company?

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
                  Dude, I'm a full-fledged atheist who lost his faith after researching the historicity of the Exodus, and I still love that movie. Extremely emotionally powerful, great music, fantastic animation, well-written and acted... It really is a good film.

I really wanted to like Exodus: Gods and Kings, as well, because I'm a big fan of Christian Bale and Ridley Scott. Unfortunately, the reviews I've been hearing make me doubt that I will.
                  Check this out: http://www.fandango.com/patternsofev.../movieoverview

Patterns of Evidence: The Exodus
                  To be shown one day only in theaters Jan 19, 2015

Last edited by 37818; 12-20-2014, 11:41 PM. Reason: typed wrong date 15 is 19
                  . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    Apparently, someone decided they needed to one-up the Noah movie in inaccuracy.

Excruciating Exodus Movie Exudes Errors (BAS review - contains spoilers).
                    Hollywood makes a movie about the Bible that is full of inaccuracies. Well color me surprised

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I saw movie Exodus: Gods and Kings last Sunday evening. As an entertaining movie, it in that regard, was very well done. It was set supposing the Hebrews were in Egypt for the full 400 years. Set in about 1300 BCE century.

Moses was depicted to be a long time close friend of that prince who was to become that Pharaoh of the exodus.

God is depicted as a child brat.

It is after a mud slide in the rain, Moses being hit on the head by a rock, buried up to his face in mud, sees a burning bush and this child . . .

Moses is, before the plagues befell Egypt, depicted as a terrorist.
                      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Word's gotten out and it's not doing good at the box office now.

Fitting.

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                          Check this out: http://www.fandango.com/patternsofev.../movieoverview

Patterns of Evidence: The Exodus
                          To be shown one day only in theaters Jan 19, 2015

Looks pretty cool. I've been interested in David Rohl's New Chronology for awhile now. I guess there were a couple of documentaries about the subject in the 90s, but I've never been able to check them out. Glad to see people are still talking about it.

Comment

It's not good as an accurate retelling of the Bible story (Ridley Scott is fundamentally an illustrator, not an author) but it's leagues above something like, say, Prometheus in terms of coherence and watchability. "God as inscrutable kid" seems to be the type of thing that only the English or the Japanese would even consider trying to make work, and the scenes with the kid are generally the weakest in the movie.

That said, despite the inaccuracies, Ridley Scott manages to do two things that lots of other movies, including Prince of Egypt, didn't: Moses' fundamental problem with acting in willful anger and violence (despite having repeated evidence of a power greater than him behind things, he kills the people he presumed were Egyptians recklessly and thoughtlessly, then begins a guerilla campaign against his own nation that leads to the needless deaths of both Egyptian and Israelite) and a rather sneaky acknowledgement significance of the Passover as a prefiguration of Christ ("If I am right, we will honor these lambs for all eternity.")

The film is actually strongest as a two-pronged social critique-of both the fundamental emptiness of a civilized yet spiritually dead society (in one of the most excellent scenes, the Pharoh's priests give what basically amounts to a TED talk on the causes of the plagues,) and the utter horror and proper return to humility of those who see the wrath of God unleashed, especially as compared to their attempts to do everything by their own power, wisdom, and might. Moses (and Rameses!) actually does go from proud in his own strength and influence as a power behind the throne to humble before God and man within the course of the movie, and that's a lesson very much worth teaching in an age of perpetual immaturity.

Comment