Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

The Matrix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    I don't get the Kingdom Hearts fandom thing. Why do people like this game? I remember when the first one came out, my fiancee at the time worked at a gamestop, and I played the game for a few minutes, and it seemed to me to be a child's game with Disney and anime characters. I never really understood the weird combination of animation styles, and I just remember running around a city with a key. Since I never really sat down to play it seriously, what is it about that game that people like so much?
    The great gameplay, the very deep story(which gets far deeper after the first game, and is still confronting me with more depth.There are details I didn't notice the first couple of playthroughs that when taken as a whole, show just how far in advance they had this thought out.), the great visual effects, great voice acting(I wish they had been able to keep Billy Zane as Ansem), and of course, the great cast of characters.

If you can actually get into it, you will find that it is far more than just a "child's game with Disney and anime characters". Although, if you want to play a more serious version of the games I suggest either 358/2 Days, or Birth By Sleep, as they are the deepest, and well, saddest when it comes to the story.

As for the difference in art styles, you are traveling to many different worlds. Most made by Disney of course and apparently some of them are somehow tied to Final Fantasy games, which is where you get the anime style.

Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance had one major flaw, and that was the locations they chose as worlds. It was mostly movies I never liked to begin with, or returns to Traverse Town, which is getting stale. It could have been better if they had worked in some better Disney titles. That, and The World Ends With You characters didn't seem to fit as well into the story IMO. It did however tie up a lot of loose ends, and had a major cliffhanger making me want to play Kingdom Hearts 3 all the more.

I didn't think it was possible, but they also found a way to make Mickey Mouse into a somewhat interesting character.

Comment

Kingdom Hearts 1 had some interesting story ideas but was very badly designed level-wise, Kingdom Hearts 2 was an absolute tour-de-force (and had a very Matrix beginning/tutorial), Kingdom Hearts: The Quest For More Money And a Solid Story Direction on Mobile Platforms has generally been hit and miss, and I'm detecting an undercurrent of Naruto/Bleach/DBZ/general anime story bloat. I like them for their platforming, I like them for their music, I can't really say their stories are really focused or structured anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
        Kingdom Hearts 1 had some interesting story ideas but was very badly designed level-wise,
        Unless you are talking visuals, then the only level I didn't like was Tarzan's. Well, and one part of Hollow Bastion.

Kingdom Hearts 2 was an absolute tour-de-force (and had a very Matrix beginning/tutorial),
        Yes, it was an awesome game. However, I didn't care for how they changed the MP system, and summons. The dual wielding was awesome though.

Kingdom Hearts: The Quest For More Money And a Solid Story Direction on Mobile Platforms has generally been hit and miss, and I'm detecting an undercurrent of Naruto/Bleach/DBZ/general anime story bloat.
        I partially agree here. Chain of Memories had that card system of battle, but made up for it with an interesting story, that made the second game make more sense. Answering questions about Organization XIII, Roxas, and Sora. Coded was just unnecessary, and was more a commercial for new games than anything.
        However, 358/2 Days, and Birth By Sleep really knocked my socks off as far as story. They explained why Kairi and Sora have the connection they do, why Heartless without symbols on them don't release hearts when destroyed, and even explain who "Ansem" is.
        Kingdom Hearts 3D however, did have the bloat, there was nothing added to the story with The World Ends With You characters, there wasn't much added at all until the end, except for tying up a few loose ends with flashbacks. It did have the nice side effect of helping players who haven't played all of the games at least get the main points before ending in that big cliffhanger.

I like them for their platforming, I like them for their music, I can't really say their stories are really focused or structured anymore.
        I can't believe I forgot the music. I love both themes, Sanctuary, and Simple and Clean both made for awesome introductions. This coming from a person who generally doesn't like music(even few video games have some that I like, the Zelda games being one of the big exceptions).

I think there are still a few loose ends, as well as some unneeded fluff, but as I keep playing these games over and over, I keep noticing new things that make me go "aha! that's why that happened".

Comment

[QUOTE=Cerebrum123;127860]Unless you are talking visuals, then the only level I didn't like was Tarzan's. Well, and one part of Hollow Bastion. [quote]

Visuals were great, it was the horrible, horrible platforming that killed it. Then KH2 basically did God Of War's reaction commands about as right as was ever possible.

I think there are still a few loose ends, as well as some unneeded fluff, but as I keep playing these games over and over, I keep noticing new things that make me go "aha! that's why that happened".
          Its central design is absolutely solid (a better description is "the only true sequel to Secret of Mana") and people still keep trying to clone its style and mechanics: this newfangled "Sunset Overdrive" thingy is an open world 100% auto-grind-on-rails-navigation experience with a color scheme that's suspiciously KH 3D, except you're exploring a generic sandbox city instead of universally beloved Disney locations, and its definitely not something you want kids to play. I make fun of Nomura as much as the next guy, but anyone who thinks UNIQUE ARTISTIC ADULT ACTION ADVENTURES like SO are the next big thing needs to check which giant's shoulder's he's standing on.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
            Unless you are talking visuals, then the only level I didn't like was Tarzan's. Well, and one part of Hollow Bastion.
            Visuals were great, it was the horrible, horrible platforming that killed it. Then KH2 basically did God Of War's reaction commands about as right as was ever possible.
            I didn't think the platforming was really that bad. Well, except for Tarzan and those hippos.

In the HD version they just did, they got the reaction commands working pretty much the same as KH2, made the whole game a smoother experience.

Speaking of platforming, it almost felt like KH3D didn't have any. Being able to "Freeflow" just made it so you could go anywhere anytime. It would have been nice to have to at least make an effort to get places.

Its central design is absolutely solid (a better description is "the only true sequel to Secret of Mana") and people still keep trying to clone its style and mechanics: this newfangled "Sunset Overdrive" thingy is an open world 100% auto-grind-on-rails-navigation experience with a color scheme that's suspiciously KH 3D, except you're exploring a generic sandbox city instead of universally beloved Disney locations, and its definitely not something you want kids to play. I make fun of Nomura as much as the next guy, but anyone who thinks UNIQUE ARTISTIC ADULT ACTION ADVENTURES like SO are the next big thing needs to check which giant's shoulder's he's standing on.
            I really need to get Secret of Mana, I mean I tried a little a long time ago, but I somehow feel I am missing a lot.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X