Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

The Matrix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    They were all trash and the memes that sprung from it choke out what little value the mediocre first one might have had.
    I'm curious what sorts of movies you do like.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelp(p) View Post
      You have many questions, and although the process has altered your consciousness, you remain irrevocably human. Ergo, some of my answers you will understand, and some of them you will not. Concordantly, while your first question may be the most pertinent, you may or may not realize it is also the most irrelevant.
      Yeah, that probably sounds a lot better if you're high.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        Yeah, that probably sounds a lot better if you're high.
        Srsly lol.

My friend's dad kept expecting the end of the third movie to be a zoom out and reveal that it's all been taking place in a kid's video game. I wish that was how it really ended.
        O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ! Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening, we praise God Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For meet it is at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise. O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee.

A neat video of dead languages!

Comment

Srsly lol.

My friend's dad kept expecting the end of the third movie to be a zoom out and reveal that it's all been taking place in a kid's video game. I wish that was how it really ended.
          I thought that a number of the Animatrix films were much better than the sequels. Wish they had just made Neo the action hero they made him out to be in the first film, and not gotten all psuedo-philosophical about it. Its like they wanted to make art films out of a Bruckheimer template. Unless you're Christopher Nolan or Darren Aronofsky, its like mixing oil and water, and i'm not sure that even they are that successful bridging the gap.

By the way, I own the DVD boxset, so I guess I feel entitled to critique the films.

Comment

So, lemme get this straight... a poster on Tweb who can't abide by the rules is forced to watch a movie?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              So, lemme get this straight... a poster on Tweb who can't abide by the rules is forced to watch a movie?
              No, he's forced to make all the rest of his posts with his mind.
              O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ! Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening, we praise God Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For meet it is at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise. O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee.

A neat video of dead languages!

Comment

No, he's forced to make all the rest of his posts with his mind.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The Matrix still has a great deal of effortless universal charm when compared with most movies today. At this point, it would definitely be mediocre, at the time, it was a revelation, though a great deal of modern movies tentpole movies seemed to have followed the paths of the sequels rather than the original.

During the intervening period, video games have often gotten better at the narrative and focus on story arcs of the first one, while too many movies have followed the overly-video-gamey second one or the overly-philosophical-and-unexplained third act.

I mostly forgive the second one given its occasional echoes of visual excellence in Michael Bay-type movies, the third was an awful omen and premonition of every show and movie with "Damien Lindelof" or "M. Knight Shyamalan" in the credits, and should be rightly derided.

As 90s movies go, it was pretty great.

Comment

I remember PETA made a parody animation called the Meatrix. I didn't actually watch it but I remember my high school classmates watching it in the debate room before class.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
                      video games have often gotten better at the narrative
                      lolno
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                        lolno
                        I probably should have said "in the first five years or so after, then the Mobile Revolution happened and everything regressed to the mean."

Comment

I probably should have said "in the first five years or so after, then the Mobile Revolution happened and everything regressed to the mean."
                          I don't play mobile games, I was actually thinking of garbage like Dragon Age which is pretty much Sex and the City with gay dwarf on elf sex. Much of the dialogue in modern games seems to be plagiarized right off someone's tumblr, down to the exact same personality flaws.
                          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Kingdom Hearts has still been doing good with regards to story, even lately IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                              Kingdom Hearts has still been doing good with regards to story, even lately IMO.
                              I don't get the Kingdom Hearts fandom thing. Why do people like this game? I remember when the first one came out, my fiancee at the time worked at a gamestop, and I played the game for a few minutes, and it seemed to me to be a child's game with Disney and anime characters. I never really understood the weird combination of animation styles, and I just remember running around a city with a key. Since I never really sat down to play it seriously, what is it about that game that people like so much?

Comment

The Matrix still has a great deal of effortless universal charm when compared with most movies today. At this point, it would definitely be mediocre, at the time, it was a revelation
                                I don't know. I still think it holds to the test of time. It had a simple, yet far reaching philosophy that was easy for movie masses to get. Dark City, which came out around about the same time, and had a similar look, and was also pretty philosophical, was panned because it just didn't have enough going on for it. Probably the closest parallel to the Matrix today, as far as intellectual depth and visual appeal, would be Watchmen. I think that style of film is still relevant.

During the intervening period, video games have often gotten better at the narrative and focus on story arcs of the first one, while too many movies have followed the overly-video-gamey second one or the overly-philosophical-and-unexplained third act.
                                Hmm. Yeah, you may be right. Even though they were both lauded by critics, I thought Stoker and Snowpiercer were philosophically naive in the same way.

I mostly forgive the second one given its occasional echoes of visual excellence in Michael Bay-type movies
                                "Visual excellence" and "Michael Bay" do not compute. All I can think of is the Jackson Pollock of close-up flying metal that is the Transformer franchise.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X