Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

I love mezmur

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love mezmur

One of the cheesier looking videos I've seen outside of local commercials (this is from 2013, not 1983, btw). But I still love it Makes me wish I spoke Amharic.

Anybody else?
    O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ! Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening, we praise God Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For meet it is at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise. O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee.

A neat video of dead languages!

It seems really close to the way they would have worshiped in the Temple, as I understand it (not that's some kind of essential criterion or anything, I just think it's cool).

O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ! Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening, we praise God Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For meet it is at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise. O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee.

Comment

I am hereby Mezmurized!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I love it. I've been interested in ancient worship music (and ancient music in general) for awhile. I went through a phase of tracking down the earliest Christian worship music I could find, and the trail pretty much went cold with Ethiopian worship.

I even like a lot of the more modern Ethiopian stuff. I recently acquired this album, the Rough Guide to Ethiopia on vinyl.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
          I love it. I've been interested in ancient worship music (and ancient music in general) for awhile. I went through a phase of tracking down the earliest Christian worship music I could find, and the trail pretty much went cold with Ethiopian worship.

I even like a lot of the more modern Ethiopian stuff. I recently acquired this album, the Rough Guide to Ethiopia on vinyl.
          Nice! I'll have to get that some time.

Comment

When we were in Israel last year, we visited a community (can't remember the name, but a suburb of Jerusalem) where they were bringing Ethiopian Jews, teaching them Hebrew, and teaching them how to fit into Jewish society -- such simple things as how to cook and how to deal with indoor toilets and running water. (seriously)

As part of our visit, the Ethiopian Jews performed several musical numbers -- it was absolutely amazing!

(This community was started in the early 80's to deal with the sudden influx of thousands of Ethiopian Jews from Sudan during Operation Moses (and, subsequently, Operation Solomon) to become citizens of Israel)
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Nice

Comment

Another nice, soothing one from Mirtnesh Tilahun

Comment

The video editing is corny as hell, but I think I like it. Not sure, though, it's just so unlike anything I've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Manwë Súlimo View Post
                    The video editing is corny as hell, but I think I like it. Not sure, though, it's just so unlike anything I've seen.
                    You like Bollywood at all? There's a bit of a comparison to be made in the overall sound of the music. You can also see how it contributed to Reggae, yes?

Comment

Here's one from a male singer (note the Ethiopian Trinity icon in the first few seconds).

Comment