Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Interstellar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interstellar

I saw a science fiction movie that was very pretty in the first 45 minutes or so but devolved into pseudoscientific gobbledygook and barely written characters doing random and pointless things in order to fulfill a badly-phrased director moral using astonishingly trite cliches.

That movie was Prometheus.

I saw a science fiction movie that was sold as the most groundbreaking and mature movie ever that turned out to be very pretty with a capable lead actor, but I could barely hear the dialogue or follow the story among the constant over-explaining barely-tested or publicly known scientific theories being acted out on screen, and had no idea what had actually gone on.

That movie was Inception.

A very specific class of usually liberal critics loved the first two movies unreservedly, and are now pouring hate on Interstellar using the previous lines as criticism.

That said, Interstellar isn't perfect, but it hits way more solid notes, way more often, and shows that Christopher Nolan has actually learned from his previous faults rather than tried to make them a directorial mark. It's got the running scientific explanations that actually go along with the action and the story, most of the dialogue is actually audible, the themes aren't overdone, and despite the reigning Hollywood orthodoxy that MUST place a non-divine handwave explanation for the experience of the supernatural(extremely brief, not particularly certain,) the actual human reaction to the experience of the supernatural from both a natural and scientific frame of mind are much deader on than even the director may have intended. Apparently the hardest thing in the world is to direct the story of a righteous man chosen by both divine and human powers.

Speaking of which, Ridley Scott now has to directorally apologize for Prometheus's pseudo-faith pseudo-science with a good Exodus movie that actually takes the source material seriously, though from the previews I think the movie would considerably improve in its impact if they had switched the actors for Moses and the Pharoh. Pray for good results.

I really liked Interstellar. Agree with you about Prometheus; I'd have to see Inception again.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I haven't seen Interstellar yet, but the previews seem to suggest it is just another liberal moral story about how mankind is ruining the planet and making it unlivable. Like waterworld, or those disaster movies about global warming or cooling.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        I haven't seen Interstellar yet, but the previews seem to suggest it is just another liberal moral story about how mankind is ruining the planet and making it unlivable. Like waterworld, or those disaster movies about global warming or cooling.
        AFAICT, the explanation for what was ruining the planet was never given. They were pretty vague about all that.
        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          If you've been following Mark Steyn's legal troubles, you're going to love who the villain is.

Comment