Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

The Traveller's Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    I remember something about an RPG style game also being in the works. I'd love to see how that turns out.
    You're probably thinking of Special Delivery, my friend Inkhana's project. I've been helping her with it by way of the programming and the music. It's still under construction, but we've got part of it done -- but it's been on an indefinite hiatus so I can't give you a link to it right now.

Incidentally, she helped me out with most of the graphics in The Traveller's Guide. While most of the art near the beginning is mine, she pretty much takes over the art for the rest of the game once you get to Noleamu.
    Last edited by The Melody Maker; 09-21-2023, 02:33 PM. Reason: Edit: Status change for Special Delivery
    ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      I suck at that, too.
      You should see some of the new ones. They made it so that as long as one person is decent, all 4 people(if you have that many playing) will be able to make it.

But I am pretty good at Final Fantasy!
      I still need to beat my PSP version.

Comment

I totally forgot to mention this here, but since the game was completed I also took the liberty of making a strategy guide for the game. It's available in two different formats -- a downloadable HTML Help format for offline viewing (which requires Windows), and an online HTML format for users of any browser & OS. Feel free to take a look if you get stuck playing, or if you've never played but you're curious to see what the game's about.

When Windows 10 is officially released at the end of July, I may be typing up some errata for a couple of parts of the manual which mention it, since the preview's interface has changed from the Windows 8 look and feel that was present at the time I originally typed up the manual. (And I need to make totally sure that the game will still work out of the box, but so far it looks promising. ) [Quick edit: Errata typed up and included with the version 3.7.4 manual.]
        Last edited by The Melody Maker; 09-23-2015, 11:26 AM.
        ~ Russell ("MelMak")

Fight spam!

Comment

The Traveller's Guide has been updated to version 3.7.4, and fixes a bug which appears in Windows 10 and also updates the manual's Troubleshooting page with the aforementioned Windows 10 related errata.

This is a critical fix for Windows 10 users, but optional for anyone using an earlier version of Windows.
          Last edited by The Melody Maker; 08-16-2015, 08:56 PM.
          ~ Russell ("MelMak")

Fight spam!

Comment

Do you have screenshots of all the main actions you do in the game? What kind of game is it? Are those on your website?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by heartablaze View Post
              Do you have screenshots of all the main actions you do in the game? What kind of game is it? Are those on your website?
              Thanks for your interest in this, heartablaze.

To explain as simply as I can put it, The Traveller's Guide is basically an overhead action/adventure platform game with some RPG elements. That is, though it's mainly (not-too-intense) action, there are places in which you'll have to figure out what to do. Melody, the main character, can run, jump and pray; that's about it. There are screenshots on the site's download page, as well as in the game's manual and strategy guide, which show various places in the game and might show her doing all that stuff, if I remember right.

Hopefully that answers your questions; let me know if you have any more.
              ~ Russell ("MelMak")

Fight spam!

Comment

Mel get your game and get it out there try to get folks to see it on youtube or whatever. If people see the game you can get more feedback and recognition.

It looks interesting from what I have seen of it.

If your worried that it wont be liked dont be folks like all kinds of games and well yours looks like you had fun making it.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
                  Well, I tried updating 10 to 11 and it wouldn't let me. I even found a good ISO editing program and tried again to swap out the "sources" folder like before, and got the image to boot -- but even that wouldn't let me install it.

Maybe one day I'll get to see it in action with some newer hardware, and see whether my game will work with it -- but for now I have to give up trying it with what we've already got.
                  Once I put it on my laptop, I will test your game on it if you want.

Comment

Well, I tried updating 10 to 11 and it wouldn't let me. I even found a good ISO editing program and tried again to swap out the "sources" folder like before, and got the image to boot -- but even that wouldn't let me install it.

Maybe one day I'll get to see it in action with some newer hardware, and see whether my game will work with it -- but for now I have to give up trying it with what we've already got.
                    If you redid your game on something like a more recent version of RPG Maker* that would certainly extend how long your game will last with regards to hardware. Although that would be time consuming.

*Or some similar game making software. Humble Bundle and Fanatical often have game making software in bundles for much cheaper than they would be normally.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I wasn't going to ask anyone to test it, but I would love that -- if you have the time; no hurry for it.

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

If you redid your game on something like a more recent version of RPG Maker* that would certainly extend how long your game will last with regards to hardware. Although that would be time consuming.

*Or some similar game making software. Humble Bundle and Fanatical often have game making software in bundles for much cheaper than they would be normally.
                      It would be very time consuming and the game probably wouldn't at all look or work the same, because I made it using a custom engine that I programmed myself from scratch using Visual Basic 6. The best thing I can do if there are bugs, like I've had to do with the previous versions of Windows I tested the game on, is to install VB6 and my source code and working files on that same version of Windows and run the game within VB6 so from there I can figure out where the bug is happening and then try to fix it from there.

The worst thing that could happen, which I fear, is if Microsoft has with Windows 11 either eliminated the VB6 runtime or deprecated the DirectX 7/8 functionality -- all of which The Traveller's Guide requires. I've already heard that they've done away with Internet Explorer, which is required for HTML Help, which the instruction manual and offline strategy guide require -- so I don't even know whether they would open up at this point.

I guess we'll find out all this stuff yet.
                      ~ Russell ("MelMak")

Fight spam!

Comment

I like his game, but there's too much jumping for me. It's too hard!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I like his game, but there's too much jumping for me. It's too hard!

well I am not good at games either, but I am good at breaking them. I seem to have a knack for crashing programs.

Comment

well I am not good at games either, but I am good at breaking them. I seem to have a knack for crashing programs.
                            Don't you dare do that to his! He's worked for decades on it!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Don't you dare do that to his! He's worked for decades on it!

He'd only be breaking his own copy.
                              ~ Russell ("MelMak")

Fight spam!

Comment

He'd only be breaking his own copy.
                                Oh. Then, I don't care.

Comment