Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Hearthstone! (the game, not the comic, JPH call your lawyer)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hearthstone! (the game, not the comic, JPH call your lawyer)

How to Hearthstone:

1. If you have Battle.net, it's Blizzard's Team Fortress 2 equivalent: a silly but well-balanced free-to-play and very-expensive-to-decorate-and-optimize game. You should always be able to download it.

2. Listen to the tutorial.

3. Do daily quests.

4. Buy and/or beat Naxxramas if you're planning on playing constructed.

4. If you feel that you're getting good, always, always, ALWAYS choose "Arena" rather than "Play", (the utterly superfluous buttons should be fixed in the next patch.) It's theoretically bad because you could have spent 2/3 of that gold on just getting an extra pack, but even when you don't win in Arena, you get a pack and extra gold or card-generating arcane dust to offset the extra 50 gold Arena costs. You also get valuable experience with the game, like:

5. Arena is totally cheap and requires no skill, I drafted what I thought was a horrible deck, which was so horrible people kept losing to it, because they never expected that level of horribleness. (Probably a lesson there somewhere.)

I play Hearthstone on occasion but it's too simple for my sophisticated tastes. Infinity Wars is much better, though the drafting there sucks.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

I had one game as Paladin where I was getting pounded while they were 27 hit points. I played Blessing of Kings on a unit with 5 attack to bump it up to 9. Instead of killing the unit, he did an all out attack which left me with 2 hit points left. The next turn, I played two Blessings of Might to bump it up to 15 attack, then played Blessed Champion to double it to 30 attack, and one shot him. I really should have lost the game, but they needed to learn not to leave a minion like that alive if they're not going to finish me off.
      "Faith is nothing less than the will to keep one's mind fixed precisely on what reason has discovered to it." - Edward Feser

Comment

Originally posted by Soyeong View Post
        I had one game as Paladin where I was getting pounded while they were 27 hit points. I played Blessing of Kings on a unit with 5 attack to bump it up to 9. Instead of killing the unit, he did an all out attack which left me with 2 hit points left. The next turn, I played two Blessings of Might to bump it up to 15 attack, then played Blessed Champion to double it to 30 attack, and one shot him. I really should have lost the game, but they needed to learn not to leave a minion like that alive if they're not going to finish me off.
        Sounds like:

Rogue didn't draw Assasinate/Druid didn't draw Poison Seeds/Priest didn't draw Mind Control/Hunter didn't draw Deadly Shot/Mage didn't draw Polymorph/Shaman didn't draw Hex/Warlock didn't draw Twisting Nether/Warrior didn't draw Brawl/Execute/other pally didn't draw Equality

You know, completely avoidable bad decisions like that

Comment

I was up against a Mage. I think he had about 5 units out, so he could have easily sacrificed a couple of them to kill my unit, but he chose to attack my hit points instead. I only had one rare card at the time, so it was no doubt a newer player that I was up against. Still, control of the board is important and you don't want let your opponents have a chance to use their units if you can help it. It got to the point where most of my units wouldn't survive long enough for me to use them, so I started putting more units with charge in my deck so I'd at least get to use them once. It felt kind of cheap to squeeze out a win like that, but it was still kind of cool to get a unit up to 30 base attack and lay the smack down. I love to play down a unit with 3 attack and charge, Blessing of Might, Blessed Champion, and attack for a quick 12 damage to end a game, but that's the only time I got up to 30 attack.
          "Faith is nothing less than the will to keep one's mind fixed precisely on what reason has discovered to it." - Edward Feser

Comment

Finally got 6 Arena wins for the first time, priests opening with Zombie Chow are surprisingly OP.

Comment

And so, by disregarding almost all sensible strategy (and being lucky enough to draw a Mad Scientist and Kirin Tor mage early rather than later in the draft, thus freeing me up to grab Secrets whenever they were a choice) you too can get this result in Arena:

whydoesthiswork.jpg

Ice Lance is the one card cut off at the top. And it will absolutely save you against a lategame Warrior holding off until he can draw his last 5/2 weapon while you wait to draw your second Fireball.

Comment