Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Gregorian Chant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gregorian Chant

This is probably going to sound odd, but here goes....

I'm a metalhead, and I've grown to really love chanting in my metal. For example, there's a metal band called Epta Astera that uses Gregorian Chant in their music*. I really enjoy it.

So I'm wondering if any of you could recommend an authentic Gregorian Chant album. From some very preliminary research, I've unearthed a couple promising possibilities:

The Cistercian Monks of Stift Heiligenkreuz

The Benedictine Monks of Santo Domingo de Silos

Anybody familiar with these, or have other recommendations?

*My understanding is that Gregorian Chant must be, by definition, without accompaniment, so it would not technically qualify. Still, I think the style is very similar. If you're interested, the band is easy to find on Google and they offer their music for free download from their website.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

I'm familiar with the second group. I also have one other album of Gregorian chant*. Since I first encountered Orthodox chant of various flavors (predominantly Russian), I've preferred that however (well before I considered becoming Orthodox, or even knew anything much about it).

The only group I know of which incorporated some Orthodox chant influence is The Revolutionary Army of the Infant Jesus.

I also have a "Gregorian Christmas" CD I got via RumTumTugger which improperly includes accompaniment.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Among the thousands of albums I have downloaded in my computer I have one simply called "Gregorian Chants Choir Of The Vienna Hofburgkapelle" which contains
      Ad Te levavi, introit in mode 8 for the 1st Sunday in Advent

Rorate caeli desuper, introit in mode 4 for the 4th Sunday in Advent

Dicite: Pusillanimes confortamini, communion in mode 7 for the third Sunday in Advent

Gaudete in Domino semper, introit in mode 1 for the 3rd Sunday in Advent

Ave Maria, gratia plena, offertory in mode 8 for the 4th Sunday in Advent

Jesu redemptor omnium, hymn in mode 1 for Christmas Vespers

Puer natus est nobis, introit in mode 7

Alleluia, allleluia. XI Dies sanctificatus, in mode 2, for the 3rd Christmas mass

Video caelos apertos, communion for the Feast of St. Stephen, Mode 8

Justus et palma florebit, gradual in mode 2 for the Feast of the Holy Confessor

Jubilate Deo universa, offertory in mode 1, (Liber Usualis, 486b)

Dicit Dominus, communion in mode 6 for the 2nd Sunday after Epiphany

Exurge, quare obdormis Domine, introit in mode 1 for Sexagesima Sunday

Commovisti Domine, tract of Sexagesima Sunday, Mode 8

Intellige clamoren meum, communion in mode 5 for the 2nd Sunday in Lent

Improperium exspectavit cor meum, offertory in mode 8 for Palm Sunday

Christus Factus Est pro Nobis, gradual for Maundy Thursday, Mode 5

Dextera Domini fecit virtutem, in mode 4

Pretty moving.

I know there are others buried in the system (I think there are something like 5 or 6 different albums) but this is the only one I can find.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        I'm familiar with the second group. I also have one other album of Gregorian chant*. Since I first encountered Orthodox chant of various flavors (predominantly Russian), I've preferred that however (well before I considered becoming Orthodox, or even knew anything much about it).

The only group I know of which incorporated some Orthodox chant influence is The Revolutionary Army of the Infant Jesus.

I also have a "Gregorian Christmas" CD I got via RumTumTugger which improperly includes accompaniment.
        I'm intrigued, because I don't think I've ever heard Orthodox chant. I'd really like to. I added that album to my amazon wishlist, but it's quite expensive, so I'm not sure if I'll actually be picking it up. I'll keep it in mind and keep my eyes open, though. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Among the thousands of albums I have downloaded in my computer I have one simply called "Gregorian Chants Choir Of The Vienna Hofburgkapelle" which contains
          Ad Te levavi, introit in mode 8 for the 1st Sunday in Advent

Rorate caeli desuper, introit in mode 4 for the 4th Sunday in Advent

Dicite: Pusillanimes confortamini, communion in mode 7 for the third Sunday in Advent

Gaudete in Domino semper, introit in mode 1 for the 3rd Sunday in Advent

Ave Maria, gratia plena, offertory in mode 8 for the 4th Sunday in Advent

Jesu redemptor omnium, hymn in mode 1 for Christmas Vespers

Puer natus est nobis, introit in mode 7

Alleluia, allleluia. XI Dies sanctificatus, in mode 2, for the 3rd Christmas mass

Video caelos apertos, communion for the Feast of St. Stephen, Mode 8

Justus et palma florebit, gradual in mode 2 for the Feast of the Holy Confessor

Jubilate Deo universa, offertory in mode 1, (Liber Usualis, 486b)

Dicit Dominus, communion in mode 6 for the 2nd Sunday after Epiphany

Exurge, quare obdormis Domine, introit in mode 1 for Sexagesima Sunday

Commovisti Domine, tract of Sexagesima Sunday, Mode 8

Intellige clamoren meum, communion in mode 5 for the 2nd Sunday in Lent

Improperium exspectavit cor meum, offertory in mode 8 for Palm Sunday

Christus Factus Est pro Nobis, gradual for Maundy Thursday, Mode 5

Dextera Domini fecit virtutem, in mode 4

Pretty moving.

I know there are others buried in the system (I think there are something like 5 or 6 different albums) but this is the only one I can find.
          Do you know of a place I could buy that? I like to have CD copies, but I'll take what I can get.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
            Do you know of a place I could buy that? I like to have CD copies, but I'll take what I can get.
            No idea. I got the computer from a friend who passed away shortly after. He had downloaded an incredibly eclectic collection of music.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
              I'm intrigued, because I don't think I've ever heard Orthodox chant. I'd really like to. I added that album to my amazon wishlist, but it's quite expensive, so I'm not sure if I'll actually be picking it up. I'll keep it in mind and keep my eyes open, though. Thanks!
              Here is some Russian chant from Valaam Monastery.

Here is some Romanian chant.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                Here is some Russian chant from Valaam Monastery.

Here is some Romanian chant.
                Wow, that first one blew me away within ten seconds. Exactly what I was looking for. I'll check out the second one too. Thanks!

Comment

That was very enjoyable to my ears.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I like to sometimes listen to the Gregorian monks that I keep underneath the floorboards.

Comment