Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

What scifi TV show fan group(s) are you a part of?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the original Stargate film, but am no longer a fan of any of the TV series'. I like TOS, most of the TOS films, DS9, and perhaps one-third of TNG, but I don't consider myself a diehard Trekkie. I also love the X-Files, but not quite enough to consider myself an X-Phile.

I guess I'm primarily a Star Wars fan (the PT, the SEs, and most of the EU that came out after AOTC was released excluded, of course), but that isn't (largely) TV, so I guess it doesn't count.
    Last edited by Duragizer; 07-02-2014, 04:36 PM.
    "When the Western world accepted Christianity, Caesar conquered; and the received text of Western theology was edited by his lawyers…. The brief Galilean vision of humility flickered throughout the ages, uncertainly…. But the deeper idolatry, of the fashioning of God in the image of the Egyptian, Persian, and Roman imperial rulers, was retained. The Church gave unto God the attributes which belonged exclusively to Caesar."

— Alfred North Whitehead

Comment

Universal Century Gundam, obviously.

Comment

I am a Doctor Who fan.

Note: NOT a 'Whovian'

Comment

Originally posted by Bob the builder View Post
          I am a Doctor Who fan.

Note: NOT a 'Whovian'

Comment

I wouldn't call myself a Trekkie, but awhile ago I started watching TNG on BBC America and I really enjoy it;I remember when I was really little and I would dread it coming on instead of cartoons. How times change.

There are a few things I never really liked though:
            a. Apparently almost everyone on a starship is an officer? How does that even work?!
            b. The alien designs. I know they had such a limited budget, but I wished the klingon treatment was given to more species. For the longest time I thought Troi was human!
            c. Security teams. Where are the space marines? I'm not saying I want Star Trek to be an action movie, but I found it weird that security teams are just the same crew members with remote controllers. Where's the body armor/combat suits? Helmets? Phaser rifles?
            d. The replicator. I feel like it makes the world more boring. Why fight over resources when you can just zap it up in a magic box?
            e. Picard is French but has an English accent. Why. Why. Why.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              There is also Earth (demolished to make room for a hyperspace express route) in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Several planets get blasted to bits one after another during the opening credits of Men in Black 2. IIRC Krypton explodes after the infant Kal-El escapes in his spaceship during the 1978 version of Superman. And finally in the abysmally bad Battlefield Earth the villain's home planet of Psychlo is blown up -- or was it just their atmosphere (by that point of the movie I was long past caring)?
              Well, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a parody too...
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Knowing Thomas View Post
                I wouldn't call myself a Trekkie, but awhile ago I started watching TNG on BBC America and I really enjoy it;I remember when I was really little and I would dread it coming on instead of cartoons. How times change.

There are a few things I never really liked though:
                a. Apparently almost everyone on a starship is an officer? How does that even work?!
                Most of the stories tend to focus on the officers, but when they call somebody a 'crewman', those are the enlisted people (about the only enlisted person that gets much of a story or character is Chief O'Brian).

b. The alien designs. I know they had such a limited budget, but I wished the klingon treatment was given to more species. For the longest time I thought Troi was human!
                She is half human. Betazoids have black eyes (that is how you can tell them apart), but as you said; budgets can be a real pain in the rear.

c. Security teams. Where are the space marines? I'm not saying I want Star Trek to be an action movie, but I found it weird that security teams are just the same crew members with remote controllers. Where's the body armor/combat suits? Helmets? Phaser rifles?
                That is because Star Trek is more optimistic than many other science fiction series (although Phaser Rifles are introduced in Voyager and used in DS9 and 'marines' are introduced in Enterprise). They don't want to look or sound too militaristic, so they tend to avoid some of the militaristic stuff (you don't see the things I mentioned too much).

d. The replicator. I feel like it makes the world more boring. Why fight over resources when you can just zap it up in a magic box?
                Some elements are said to be incapable of being replicated (mostly as a plot device) and they still do take energy to use (that is a pretty consistent plot device in Voyager).

e. Picard is French but has an English accent. Why. Why. Why.
                Because Patrick Stewart is an English man that doesn't play a very good French man accent (but he still is a pretty good actor beyond that).
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I am not a member of any official fan group or club.

I grew up loving Star Trek, and all of it's later versions. I like the movies too. But watching some TNG lately, I find it a bit hokey and preachy.

I liked Battlestar Galactica 2004 version, but never really cared for the original show in the 80's.

Loved Farscape (hated the way they ended it). Firefly was OK.

Currently my favorite sci-fi shows are The Walking Dead, Falling Skies, and Doctor Who (always been a fan of Doctor who)

Comment

I've always thought Star Trek could use some Warhammer 40k in it.
                    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment