Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Dark Souls 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm looking at some gameplay of Dragon's Dogma right now, and it sure looks interesting, but those graphical glitches and that awful voice acting () for most of the characters is close to being a deal breaker for me. And that cheesy dialogue isn't all that impressive either.

EDIT - And it's a bit odd that the voice acting is so bad in this game, since bad voice acting is usually an indicator that the game didn't originally have english voice actors, but was dubbed. But apparently the english voices were the original for this game.

If I've got it correctly, Dark Souls was originally voiced in English as well, but the voice acting in Dark Souls is actually pretty good, in contrast to the voice acting in Dragon's Dogma.
    Last edited by JonathanL; 04-18-2014, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
      I'm looking at some gameplay of Dragon's Dogma right now, and it sure looks interesting, but those graphical glitches and that awful voice acting () for most of the characters is close to being a deal breaker for me. And that cheesy dialogue isn't all that impressive either.

EDIT - And it's a bit odd that the voice acting is so bad in this game, since bad voice acting is usually an indicator that the game didn't originally have english voice actors, but was dubbed. But apparently the english voices were the original for this game.

If I've got it correctly, Dark Souls was originally voiced in English as well, but the voice acting in Dark Souls is actually pretty good, in contrast to the voice acting in Dragon's Dogma.
      Huh, interesting. That's a bummer, and kind of weird.

Hey, since you're a PC gamer, do you by chance play League of Legends?
      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
        Huh, interesting. That's a bummer, and kind of weird.

Hey, since you're a PC gamer, do you by chance play League of Legends?
        Nope, LoL is definitely not my kind of game.

Comment

Nope, LoL is definitely not my kind of game.
          Ah, ok. Sometimes it's not mine, either.

Comment

On another note I got an e-mail yesterday saying that my copy of Dark Souls will be shipped on the 22th of April. So hopefully I'll have the game in my hands a couple of days from that.

Comment

Awesome! What kind of play style do you think you'll go with? Mage, ranged, or bruiser? I've played as a close-range bruiser for all three games (mostly with a spear) and never really even used the magic. Usually carry just enough arrows/bolts for the necessities and then just hack away with a sword or a mace.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                Awesome! What kind of play style do you think you'll go with? Mage, ranged, or bruiser? I've played as a close-range bruiser for all three games (mostly with a spear) and never really even used the magic. Usually carry just enough arrows/bolts for the necessities and then just hack away with a sword or a mace.
                I'll probably go with ranged for my first playthrough. I like being quick and nimble rather than heavy-hitting.

Comment

For some reason, I never get tired of the same playstyle in these games.

Comment

There's also the possibility that I'll be dual wielding, but I'll wait until I actually get the game so that I can get a feel for how the dual wielding works in the game before I decide.

Comment

There's also the possibility that I'll be dual wielding, but I'll wait until I actually get the game so that I can get a feel for how the dual wielding works in the game before I decide.
                      I've never actually tried it. Weird, I know. I've been meaning to in DS2, but I get so caught up with my mace and shield that I forget.

Comment

I've been watching a bit more of Dragon's Dogma gameplay on youtube, and I think I might have to reconsider my judgement on the voice acting. There is still a lot of awful voice acting in the game, my opinion on that hasn't changed, but there is also a considerable amount of characters that were provided with pretty decent voice acting. So I think I'll have to change my judgement on the voice acting from "mostly awful", to "a mixed bag of awful and good".

Comment

So I actually got Dark Souls last week and have been playing it on and off. I've been playing as a wanderer and mainly put my souls into improving dexterity, strength and endurance. I also managed to get the slumbering dragoncrest ring by killing the sorcerer npc that travels to firelink shrine after you rescue him. So now I'm just prancing about, backstabbing all the enemies with my +3 black knight sword.

Next thing in my to-do-list is to go and fetch the large ember by the first butcher in the depths.

Comment

So I actually got Dark Souls last week and have been playing it on and off. I've been playing as a wanderer and mainly put my souls into improving dexterity, strength and endurance. I also managed to get the slumbering dragoncrest ring by killing the sorcerer npc that travels to firelink shrine after you rescue him. So now I'm just prancing about, backstabbing all the enemies with my +3 black knight sword.

Next thing in my to-do-list is to go and fetch the large ember by the first butcher in the depths.
                            Awesome! I remember very little of the specifics of that game.... (Darn lost disc)

Have you run into the drake/dragon on the bridge yet? There's an easy, if tedious, way you can get a very powerful early-game weapon from it, but it isn't obvious.

Comment