Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

The General Anime/Manga Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    If you liked Bleach you would probably like Inuyasha. It's available online and would be my top pick.

Full Metal Alchemist, One Piece (especially if your in a silly mood), Big O (if you like Film Noir), Trigun (leave common sense at home - it's a lot of fun) and Stand Alone Complex (if you like spies, cybernetics and pseudo-special forces) are all good and fairly easy to follow (well, as easy as Film Noir gets...).
    Interesting, thanks. I'll check some of these out.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Cool, Zym!

Funimation requires membership - but I now know the episode number so it wasn't a waste.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
        Interesting, thanks. I'll check some of these out.
        I've recommended it before in this thread, but I'll do it again. Hunter X Hunter (the 2011 version) is by far the best shonen adventure anime (think Bleach, One Piece, Naruto). I'm not saying it's the best anime out there, but it's easily the best anime in it's category. It does get pretty dark and grim show though, especially when compared to it's counter-parts.

If you want to watch it legally it should be available on crunchyroll.com. If you don't care about watching it in only 480p all you'll need is a free account, otherwise you'll be able to watch it in HD (and all other shows they have) for something like 4.99$ a month if I remember correctly.

Of course, if you don't care about whether or not you get your anime legally there's always fansub groups, but I think you're smart enough to find these yourself.

Comment

Do it legally or not at all. Seems like there are a couple of Biblical commands covering this...
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
            I've recommended it before in this thread, but I'll do it again. Hunter X Hunter (the 2011 version) is by far the best shonen adventure anime (think Bleach, One Piece, Naruto). I'm not saying it's the best anime out there, but it's easily the best anime in it's category. It does get pretty dark and grim show though, especially when compared to it's counter-parts.

If you want to watch it legally it should be available on crunchyroll.com. If you don't care about watching it in only 480p all you'll need is a free account, otherwise you'll be able to watch it in HD (and all other shows they have) for something like 4.99$ a month if I remember correctly.

Of course, if you don't care about whether or not you get your anime legally there's always fansub groups, but I think you're smart enough to find these yourself.
            I'll check out Hunter X Hunter too. I don't mind 480p, but $4.99 a month isn't bad....

ETA: Just to be clear, I do prefer to get these things legally. That is to say, I don't pirate stuff.
            Last edited by Zymologist; 04-15-2014, 05:54 PM.
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Time for an anime soundtrack:

Ginpatsu no Lullaby - Hunter X Hunter (2011)

Comment

I just found out the Hunter X Hunter manga is going to resume in June this year!

Comment

That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I just found out the Hunter X Hunter manga is going to resume in June this year!

Naruto is pretty close to the end (maybe). I'll start Hunter when Naruto ends.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                      Naruto is pretty close to the end (maybe). I'll start Hunter when Naruto ends.
                      Just be prepared for the decrease in the quality of the art somewhere at the Chimera Ant arc (I think it was the Chimera Ant arc, but I'm not sure). Supposedly the author was ill during most of this period, but still wanted to release some chapters to please his fans, which lead to less than optimal quality when it came to the art.

You should still be able to follow what's going on in the story though.

Comment

Just be prepared for the decrease in the quality of the art somewhere at the Chimera Ant arc (I think it was the Chimera Ant arc, but I'm not sure). Supposedly the author was ill during most of this period, but still wanted to release some chapters to please his fans, which lead to less than optimal quality when it came to the art.

You should still be able to follow what's going on in the story though.
                        Yeah, Wiki mentioned that. He is supposedly planning to redraw some of that part.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Bumping this thread with an OST from one of the best anime ever.

Comment

I use Crunchyroll, Hulu, and Funimation for streaming anime legally. (They work best in the USA, though there are ways of watching the shows outside the States while still using the afore mentioned services. JUST saying.) I also occasionally use Netflix, though over the past few years their catalog of anime has gotten abysmally small. Cruncyroll and Funimation have same-day streaming rights for almost all their shows, but if you can wait a week or so, they'll put them all on Hulu. The one thing Funimation has going for it, is some of their streaming shows are dubbed! (Fairy Tail is mostly dubbed, for instance.) But ya gotta pay for it. (Boo!)

I see mostly Shounen titles being listed? Eh? What's this? No love for the other genres? Tch tch!

My two FAVORITE anime right now are:
                            SILVER SPOON and LOG HORIZON

Silver Spoon is a slice-of-life anime that involves an agricultural highschool. People who usually don't like slice-of-life anime will enjoy this. You learn a lot about real-world farming (surprisingly interesting) and there's great character development. It's also REALLY funny.

Log Horizon has been mistakenly called a "Sword Art Online Ripoff". It's not anymore a rip off than SAO is a ripoff of the .//Hack series. The only thing they have in common is they share a similar Genre. Log Horizon has a mostly adult-cast (minor amounts of male fan-service & moe) and focuses mostly on adventure and tactics, rather than romance and teenage angst. (I'll speak heresy right now and say I love it gobs more than SAO.)

Other shows that I've enjoyed:

Tonari no Seki-kun: The Master of Killing Time. It's highschool slice-of-life comedy about a dude who avoids doing school work. This series is genius. I wasn't sure about it the first 3 episodes, but after that it gets really good. It's one of those shows that builds on itself. The episodes are short, so it's totally worth trying! :D

Hozuki no Reitetsu is.. uh.... urm... well... it appears to be a comedic take on Buddhist (???) hell. I think, maybe, probably... I'm not very confident in that description. If other religious belief systems make you feel threatened or uncomfortable, don't watch this. But if that type of thing doesn't bother you... you should watch this. It's weird and hilarious and it's very "Japan".

Kyousougiga is another of those animes I have no idea how to describe to you. It's... about... the... afterlife? And god(s)? Maybe? Possibly? And a rabbit. What? I don't know anymore.... I spent the first half confused and the second half going "Oooooh, there's a possibility I understand what just happened now." It's beautifully animated and voice acted though! If you like weird, you'll PROBABLY like this.

Chihayafuru is probably a shounen "sports" anime. However, it centers around competitivekaruta, which is a card game that focuses on memorizing poem lines. I have no idea how they manage to make a game like that exciting, but they do. (That's anime for you!) The main character is female and even though there is romance, said romance is almost treated like a joke. I really enjoyed this series but the poem-card-readers have a very distinct way they read and my husband couldn't stand it, so I had to watch it when he wasn't around.

Servant x Service is about federal employees in Japan. It's slice-of-life, comedy, and some romance. It's often been compared to Wagnaria!! in terms of the feel, tone, and humor. This is a pretty fair comparison I think, but I liked Servant x Service a lot more. The humor was more in line with what I like, and the characters seemed more realistic and interesting.

Polar Bear Cafe is literally about a cafe owned by a polar bear. Yes, there are humans. Yes, there are zoos. (One of the main characters--who is an animal--WORKS IN THE ZOO, IN A CAGE.) I guess this is slice-of-life (hard to say considering the high level of fantasy going on just to have animals talking, owning businesses, and driving) but it's most DEFINITELY comedy. And it's really funny. The Opening Theme Song is worth watching, even if you aren't interested in the series.

Alright. That's all for me. There was one other series I wanted to put in here, mostly because I loved how it ended, but I couldn't remember what it was called! Do'h! I think I've got enough stuff to start with. Sorry it's all linked to Crunchyroll, I'm not trying to advertise for them or anything. I just watch most of my anime there. ^^;;
                            Last edited by draw2much; 05-10-2014, 06:35 PM.

Comment

In other, somewhat related news, they've begun releasing translations of Soul Eater NOT! again!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by draw2much View Post
                                The one thing Funimation has going for it, is some of their streaming shows are dubbed!

That's not something that should be listed as a positive.

Comment