Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Slayer for Six-year-olds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slayer for Six-year-olds

My eldest daughter really, really, really wants to play the electric guitar. Except she's six, so her hands are too small. I talked to a bunch of people and landed on ukulele as a good start. I happened to already have one, so no cost for me. The kid's into it and picking it up fast. So far so good. Until...

Two weeks ago I took her to her lesson. At the end, I mentioned to her teacher about the kid wanting to learn electric guitar. The teacher promptly flipped the ukulele she (teacher) was using around and showed us the pickup. Apparently, they make electric ukuleles. Who knew? Naturally, the kid is super excited. Guess what the kid is probably getting for her 7th birthday? All good, no big deal, and delays the 'need' for an electric guitar that much longer. Win for me.

Last Tuesday, I worked from home. My daughter and I do this thing sometimes where I show her songs she's never heard before. We had the idea to look up electric ukulele covers so she could see what they're like. Happen upon a duo covering Slayer's Payback. The video is pretty amusing, and the kid thinks its hilarious. She's listened to it a couple of times since then. Likes the song, too, not just the video.

So now I have a six year old that's into Slayer. I already knew she was into Marilyn Manson and Metallica. This blonde girly girl who's into ballet and gymnastics and will probably end up a cheerleader (signs and portents, ya know) is a metal head...

There are days when I wonder what I'm unleashing upon the world.

Also, if you're not familiar with the song, don't look it up unless you're prepared for lots of rage and profanity. It is not a happy song.
    I'm not here anymore.

Just keep her away from the tatoo parlor.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
      My eldest daughter really, really, really wants to play the electric guitar. Except she's six, so her hands are too small. I talked to a bunch of people and landed on ukulele as a good start. I happened to already have one, so no cost for me. The kid's into it and picking it up fast. So far so good. Until...

Two weeks ago I took her to her lesson. At the end, I mentioned to her teacher about the kid wanting to learn electric guitar. The teacher promptly flipped the ukulele she (teacher) was using around and showed us the pickup. Apparently, they make electric ukuleles. Who knew? Naturally, the kid is super excited. Guess what the kid is probably getting for her 7th birthday? All good, no big deal, and delays the 'need' for an electric guitar that much longer. Win for me.

Last Tuesday, I worked from home. My daughter and I do this thing sometimes where I show her songs she's never heard before. We had the idea to look up electric ukulele covers so she could see what they're like. Happen upon a duo covering Slayer's Payback. The video is pretty amusing, and the kid thinks its hilarious. She's listened to it a couple of times since then. Likes the song, too, not just the video.

So now I have a six year old that's into Slayer. I already knew she was into Marilyn Manson and Metallica. This blonde girly girl who's into ballet and gymnastics and will probably end up a cheerleader (signs and portents, ya know) is a metal head...

There are days when I wonder what I'm unleashing upon the world.

Also, if you're not familiar with the song, don't look it up unless you're prepared for lots of rage and profanity. It is not a happy song.
      Did your parent's curse you with "may your children behave just like you"?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Did your parent's curse you with "may your children behave just like you"?
        They wouldn't do that. No one wants another one of me, wife and parents included.
        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

You can find some Rob Scallon tabs for ukelele.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I forget who does it, but there's a guy who does banjo covers of a lot of stuff, and he has a Slayer song or two--with accompanying awesome music videos. It's pretty great.
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
              I forget who does it, but there's a guy who does banjo covers of a lot of stuff, and he has a Slayer song or two--with accompanying awesome music videos. It's pretty great.
              That would be Rob Scallon.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                You can find some Rob Scallon tabs for ukelele.
                Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                That would be Rob Scallon.
                Rob Scallon is who did the Slayer cover. I didn't know he had tabs, though. I'll check those out once the kid is ready.
                I'm not here anymore.

Comment

The ukulele was forever ruined by Tiny Tim...
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment