Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Christianesque themed tv shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got an idea. Why not turn these shows on their heads. Why not honestly? We have material and good writers too. Dante, Milton, Chesterton, Tolkein, Lewis we need a renesaince in christian literature.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
      The idea of having a guy try to fight God and fail is a great premise. Heck it is the premise of paradise lost. Honestly I think christians are scared of making art. We think it won't be good.
      Isn't attempting to fight God the largest act of futility? You'd have a better chance against literally anything/anyone else!
      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
        Isn't attempting to fight God the largest act of futility? You'd have a better chance against literally anything/anyone else!
        Exactly, yet we don't make stories about this truth.
        sigpic

Comment

There used to be a radio show called "Unshackled" put on by the Pacific Garden Mission. It was not great art, but it was one of the forces leading me to doubt/question my agnosticism.

You can still listen to them online.

I know this is not TV but . . .
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

It definitely wasn't a Christian show but I think one of the popular TV shows that treated Christianity the most respectfully was King of the Hill. The church was portrayed as an important social institution instead of relentlessly mocked.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              There used to be a radio show called "Unshackled" put on by the Pacific Garden Mission. It was not great art, but it was one of the forces leading me to doubt/question my agnosticism.

Very old fashioned radio show that was pretty corny. I loved it. Loved it not in spite of its corniness, but because of it. It's the type of show I could imagine hipsters listening to ironically, yet still getting something out of. I haven't heard it in years.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post

I've never heard of it, what was it like?
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  I've never heard of it, what was it like?
                  https://unshackled.org/listen/browse-all-programs/

The longest running radio drama in the US. Starts with organ music and everything. I remember many long nights on dark country roads or on lonely highways with this playing in the background and kind of feeling like I had traveled back in time. The actual shows are pretty good too. Lots of good sound effects, and great acting. And the stories are all heart-tuggy. Like I said above, corny, but entertaining.

Average show might be about Bob, who was a successful business man until one day his wife and child die in a car accident. Bob starts drinking to drown his emotional pain. Eventually loses his job, and becomes a wreck. But then one day Bob meets Susan. Susan is one of these people who brightens every room she walks into, but it wasn't always that way. Susan is a recovered alcoholic who is eager to share the Gospel and her own testimony. Bob doesn't want to hear it. He's had enough with religion, but then one day some spectacular twist happens, and Bob gives his life over to Jesus, and finds peace for the first time in his life. Que organ music.

That's pretty much a show in a nutshell. The sound effects and dramatic music really help to sell it.
                  Last edited by Adrift; 07-14-2017, 10:18 PM.

Comment

It definitely wasn't a Christian show but I think one of the popular TV shows that treated Christianity the most respectfully was King of the Hill. The church was portrayed as an important social institution instead of relentlessly mocked.
                    I never really watched the show, but I'm glad to hear that.

Comment

Honestly, I never really got that impression about the show. The show's take is the creator's (Mike Judge) leftist's sentimental re-visioning of the small, close-minded, South Western towns he grew up in. The show attempts to tackle Hank Hill's conservative fears and phobias, and sees him growing to become a more tolerant and socially left-leaning individual, which, you know, is good in some respects, especially when it comes to multiculturalism, but can get a bit preachy and dogmatic. So, it's great that Hank Hill learns to accept the cultural oddities of his Laotian neighbors, but then there are episodes like when we discover that Dale Gribble's father works at a gay rodeo, roping goats to put panties on them. The whole episode is played out so that the audience is manipulated into feeling sympathetic for Dale's father and his homosexual lover. It's a demonic little dart that just pushes that agenda. I mean, it's more subtle than some shows in that respect, but it's part of an overarching push by media to introduce, little-by-little, certain anti-Christian values into the minds of young people.

Even the religious episodes are pretty "eh". So, for instance, there's a couple episodes revolving around the shocking fact that the new Methodist pastor is a female. Personally, I don't have much of an issue with that, as I think a case could be made for female ministers in the New Testament, but it's a controversial issue to bring up in a cartoon, where most viewers are not going to really understand why the issue would be controversial in the first place. But the church itself comes off very weak-willed, powerless, and more of a social club than anything. The pastor's big issues with her congregation aren't salvational in nature, but deal with things like people not showing up at the church's social events, or with keeping her intimate relationship with Bill a secret, but then slyly flirting with him in service by reading a passage from Song of Solomon.

I guess ultimately my problem with the show is that, unlike, say, The Simpsons (or far worse, South Park), which are a bit more obvious about their agenda, the show pretends to be open to a number of diverse worldviews, but in reality it attempts to paint people from small towns as simple-minded bigots, and really pushes a progressive agenda.

So, yeah, while the church may not have been relentlessly mocked as it is in other shows, it's not necessarily displayed as a place where real healing and empowerment goes on either.
                      Last edited by Adrift; 07-15-2017, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post

So, yeah, while the church may not have been relentlessly mocked as it is in other shows, it's not necessarily displayed as a place where real healing and empowerment goes on either.
                        Unfortunately, in today's society, not relentlessly mocking Christianity is about as close to being treated fairly and respectfully as we're likely going to see.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

BBC ran a Narnia series once. Tom Baker played as Puddleglum.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                            Then again, if divine intervention from a benevolent God were an option, where would the story be? Do you really expect show producers to put enough thought into giving good reasons for God to not instantly solve the problem of the episode(e.g. character growth, the characters need to do it themselves, no need to intervene due to the characters being capable enough to solve the problem, stick to problems at a real word level of danger)? Especially since the threats might be world threatening.
                            Voyage of the Dawn Treader.
                            sigpic

Comment