Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Christianesque themed tv shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christianesque themed tv shows

I looked for a can of pop preaching, and instead found this strange thing...

~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
    I looked for a can of pop preaching, and instead found this strange thing...

You didn't get the other one?

AMC-PREACHER-POP-01.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23307[/ATTACH]
      Good show based on a popular 90s comic series, but I think it's interesting (though not surprising) how many fantasy TV shows taking pot-shots at orthodox Christianity are on air right now. It's always been popular to do so, but I don't remember seeing so many shows with that as a main premise as I have lately. Just off the top of my head,

Preacher
      American Gods
      Lucifer
      Outcast
      The Leftovers
      The Exorcist

People are absolutely fascinated with Christianity, but only so long as good is called evil, and evil is called good. God is always evil or incompetent (or simply missing), and Satan is charming, and not so bad a guy afterall. It'd be nice if there was something at the level of these shows in terms of writing and creativity, but pro-Christ. I imagine Satan wouldn't let that happen without one hell of a fight though.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        Good show based on a popular 90s comic series, but I think it's interesting (though not surprising) how many fantasy TV shows taking pot-shots at orthodox Christianity are on air right now. It's always been popular to do so, but I don't remember seeing so many shows with that as a main premise as I have lately. Just off the top of my head,

Preacher
        American Gods
        Lucifer
        Outcast
        The Leftovers
        The Exorcist

People are absolutely fascinated with Christianity, but only so long as good is called evil, and evil is called good. God is always evil or incompetent (or simply missing), and Satan is charming, and not so bad a guy afterall. It'd be nice if there was something at the level of these shows in terms of writing and creativity, but pro-Christ. I imagine Satan wouldn't let that happen without one hell of a fight though.
        Supernatural
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          Supernatural
          The missing/uncaring God seems to be a relatively common theme. Another example is the Legion movies and short-lived TV series

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Then again, if divine intervention from a benevolent God were an option, where would the story be? Do you really expect show producers to put enough thought into giving good reasons for God to not instantly solve the problem of the episode(e.g. character growth, the characters need to do it themselves, no need to intervene due to the characters being capable enough to solve the problem, stick to problems at a real word level of danger)? Especially since the threats might be world threatening.
            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

The missing/uncaring God seems to be a relatively common theme. Another example is the Legion movies and short-lived TV series
              Before that, of course, was The Prophecy movie series, and a dozen other movies and tv shows that also work on the same premise of angels=bad, demons=good. You'd think after all of these decades with the same trope, creative types would eventually do something different, but flipping the Biblical mythos on its head, painting Christians as dumb and/or villainous, and then slapping on some sort of Gnostic subtext is apparently still considered creative and radical. Of course, as I mention above, that's little surprise seeing as the adversary is pulling the strings. Poisoning the hearts and minds of people against God, his kingdom, and his people is part of this spiritual battle.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                Then again, if divine intervention from a benevolent God were an option, where would the story be? Do you really expect show producers to put enough thought into giving good reasons for God to not instantly solve the problem of the episode(e.g. character growth, the characters need to do it themselves, no need to intervene due to the characters being capable enough to solve the problem, stick to problems at a real word level of danger)? Especially since the threats might be world threatening.
                You mean like Highway To Heaven, Quantum Leap, and Touched by an Angel? The premise of divine intervention has been positively displayed in shows before, it's just it's always been saccharine sweet stuff that my mom and my grandmother would watch, not me (not to mention they never mention Jesus). A TV series that deals with spiritual warfare could make for an excellent series. While God's kingdom has indeed come, we will still deal with antichrists in the flesh, and with principalities, powers, and rulers of darkness in both the flesh and in the spiritual realm til Christ's return. That could make for some fascinating entertainment, as well as a wake up call about what's really going on in the world. What makes shows like American Gods, The Exorcist, Leftovers, Outcast, and yes, even Preacher so compelling (at least initially) is that there are elements of truth sprinkled in them. American Gods highlights that there is, in fact, spiritual principalities that have lost their place, and that there is a struggle in the spiritual realm between the forces of good and evil. The Exorcist and Outcast highlight that, yes, demons can oppress and possess people, and that we have power through Christ Jesus to cast them out. Likewise, Preacher highlights that we, as believers, all have the Holy Spirit in us, that prayer is powerful, and that those who believe in Christ Jesus can do all the things he did on earth, and greater. They've just taken these premises and twisted them. Be nice if we could have some shows of high caliber that told it as it is.
                Last edited by Adrift; 07-13-2017, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Preacher
                  American Gods
                  Lucifer
                  Outcast
                  The Leftovers
                  The Exorcist

You left out the best one: Supernatural.
                  Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

I was disappointed to see that get cancelled so quickly.

I'm curious to see whether the TV version of "The Strain" gets around to bringing in the supernatural / angelic aspect of the print version. The final season is about to start, and there have been only the vaguest hints of that.
                    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

Before that, of course, was The Prophecy movie series, and a dozen other movies and tv shows that also work on the same premise of angels=bad, demons=good.
                      The Prophecy series and the Legion / Dominion series were more complicated than that. "Lucifer" (who only ever existed in KJV-dom anyway) was "bad," demons were bad, angels could fall into either category. In the Prophecy series, Lucifer helped the "good guys," but was clearly evil and had evil ultimate goals.

You'd think after all of these decades with the same trope, creative types would eventually do something different, but flipping the Biblical mythos on its head, painting Christians as dumb and/or villainous, and then slapping on some sort of Gnostic subtext is apparently still considered creative and radical. Of course, as I mention above, that's little surprise seeing as the adversary is pulling the strings. Poisoning the hearts and minds of people against God, his kingdom, and his people is part of this spiritual battle.
                      It's all the more subtle because a lot of them don't really paint satan as "good," just as not much worse than a lot of the angels.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23307[/ATTACH]
                        Yes because a demonic lyrics possessed man who wants to kill God is totally a christian.
                        sigpic

Comment

People put God as the bad guy because no one wants to admit they are a sinner without God'said help.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                            SupernaturalBeefcake Buffy
                            Fixed that for you.

But yeah, even someone like me (If it's not on Netflix or doesn't show up on DVD, I don't watch it) has vaguely noticed the trend of, "Anti-Religious," fantasy shows over the last bit as well. I like to think it'll inevitably implode on itself from oversaturation and Taking Itself Too Seriously(TM), but hey... we can dream, can't we? Heck, it'd be fun to see a show that satirically turns the premise on it's head, where the Protagonist is fighting against God... except God isn't actually the raging colostomy bag that the protagonist thinks He is.

I also imagine that a show with Pro-Christian themes (even the aforementioned satire) would get written off as, "Preachy," whilst conveniently overlooking the fact that- in all reality- everyone's trying to get a message across (be it, "I had a crap day, I'm mad," or "Jesus is awesome," or even, "THE MEANS OF PRODUCTION MUST BE SEIZED, COMRADE!").
                            Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
                              Fixed that for you.

But yeah, even someone like me (If it's not on Netflix or doesn't show up on DVD, I don't watch it) has vaguely noticed the trend of, "Anti-Religious," fantasy shows over the last bit as well. I like to think it'll inevitably implode on itself from oversaturation and Taking Itself Too Seriously(TM), but hey... we can dream, can't we? Heck, it'd be fun to see a show that satirically turns the premise on it's head, where the Protagonist is fighting against God... except God isn't actually the raging colostomy bag that the protagonist thinks He is.

I also imagine that a show with Pro-Christian themes (even the aforementioned satire) would get written off as, "Preachy," whilst conveniently overlooking the fact that- in all reality- everyone's trying to get a message across (be it, "I had a crap day, I'm mad," or "Jesus is awesome," or even, "THE MEANS OF PRODUCTION MUST BE SEIZED, COMRADE!").
                              The idea of having a guy try to fight God and fail is a great premise. Heck it is the premise of paradise lost. Honestly I think christians are scared of making art. We think it won't be good.
                              sigpic

Comment