Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Cord Cutting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cord Cutting

I know we had a thread about this previously but here we go again.

So now it seems major online streaming services are offering cable alternatives with live TV and DVR function: SlingTV, Hulu, Youtube, and a few others.

I have been thinking of cutting the cord and going with some streaming version, but so far it seems every one of them has missing channels, one will have ABC but no CBS, another will have CBS but not Fox, and so on. In order to get all of the channels I would want I would have to buy several of these services and end up duplicating most of the channels.

So anyone have any experience with any of these services and the DVR function? Any of them carry all of the major networks? CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox, CW?

And what about local programming like news and weather? any have them?

i get all my weather reports from google. i don't see the point of watching tv for news, they can lie to me and then I'd have to go on my computer to check, internet is much better in this regard. As for local stations, isn't just a regular antenna enough? Do you need cable for that? I haven't turned my tv on in over a year and don't miss it at all.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
      i get all my weather reports from google. i don't see the point of watching tv for news, they can lie to me and then I'd have to go on my computer to check, internet is much better in this regard. As for local stations, isn't just a regular antenna enough? Do you need cable for that? I haven't turned my tv on in over a year and don't miss it at all.
      I used to watch the local news for the weather but all they do is tell you what it is currently until the very end of the broadcast when they finally give the forecast.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I like to have local information like news and weather available. Sure I could use an antenna but then that is just one more "service" - but it is not a deal breaker if I don't have it.

I am trying to get everything in one place, in one service, that I can use anywhere I have an internet connection. But every service seems to have missing channels. I don't need 500 channels, but I do like to have the big networks, as well as history, discovery, science, USA, TBS, TNT, SyFy, BBC America, AMC, and a few others.

Comment

Roku has most of the services you'll need: Netflix, Hulu, AmazonPrime, CBS, FOX, CNN, NBC, FOX, YT, etc. No company has it all, some require you to have a cable subscription for certain features like some sports -- where you might try SlingTV,

Local TV can obviously be obtained over the air if you actually want it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
            Roku has most of the services you'll need: Netflix, Hulu, AmazonPrime, CBS, FOX, CNN, NBC, FOX, YT, etc. No company has it all, some require you to have a cable subscription for certain features like some sports -- where you might try SlingTV,

Local TV can obviously be obtained over the air if you actually want it.
            I have AppleTV which has all those services too. The problem is you have to pay a separate monthly fee for each of them. I already have Netflix and Amazon Prime. But I still have Cable TV to watch current shows and record them. I want to be able to get rid of that ($100/month) and replace it with a live TV streaming service with DVR function that has all of the networks, without having to buy several services and end up paying as much or more than I am now for cable.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              I used to watch the local news for the weather but all they do is tell you what it is currently until the very end of the broadcast when they finally give the forecast.
              local news has gotten WAY too much into the "tease" .... "A local business man uses his firearm to thwart a robbery... more on that when we come back...." And, if they think people are interested in the weather more than sports, the weather will naturally be "teased" until sports is out of the way.

Somebody did a compilation (forget where I saw it) of a whole bunch of local stations doing a "feature story" on, for example, a dolphin with a prosthetic flipper -- it's a subscription service where all the local stations get "filler", and they all have exactly the same feature story on the same day....

Or, you'll get one of their local "reporters" tasting food at the rodeo, or showing you new cars at the car show....

IT'S NOT NEWS --- it's FLUFF!!!!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                local news has gotten WAY too much into the "tease" .... "A local business man uses his firearm to thwart a robbery... more on that when we come back...." And, if they think people are interested in the weather more than sports, the weather will naturally be "teased" until sports is out of the way.

Somebody did a compilation (forget where I saw it) of a whole bunch of local stations doing a "feature story" on, for example, a dolphin with a prosthetic flipper -- it's a subscription service where all the local stations get "filler", and they all have exactly the same feature story on the same day....

Or, you'll get one of their local "reporters" tasting food at the rodeo, or showing you new cars at the car show....

very true. Most local news stories are fluff and subscription crap. And I hate the stupid tease. The local FOX channel is the worst on that. They have two news shows back to back, The 5:30 News and the 6:00 news (why I have no idea) and they will tease the crap out of a story starting at 5:30 and not show it until the middle of the 6 o'clock news. But most of those stories are the local man saves a cat from a ninja type stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  very true. Most local news stories are fluff and subscription crap. And I hate the stupid tease. The local FOX channel is the worst on that. They have two news shows back to back, The 5:30 News and the 6:00 news (why I have no idea) and they will tease the crap out of a story starting at 5:30 and not show it until the middle of the 6 o'clock news. But most of those stories are the local man saves a cat from a ninja type stories.
                  Yup, or they boast "And Channel 13 was the only news crew there!", or "we have EXCLUSIVE video...." WHO CARES!!!!!
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yup, or they boast "And Channel 13 was the only news crew there!", or "we have EXCLUSIVE video...." WHO CARES!!!!!
                    so weren't you the one who started the last thread about cutting the cord? How did it work out for you and what services do you use?

Comment

Not only that but a large percent of their "news" is nothing but promotions or commercials for other TV shows and the like.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Cutting the cord had a very different meaning for me. Here I was hoping for pics of trees being downed and reduced to pieces for sale....
                        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                          Cutting the cord had a very different meaning for me. Here I was hoping for pics of trees being downed and reduced to pieces for sale....
                          I kinda thought it was about kicking your kids out of the house and making them independent!

Comment

Comment

https://youtu.be/TM8L7bdwVaA?list=UU...C3jgmYTUwqoUXA

Comment