Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Cord Cutting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I waited until the summer slump, started up my youtube TV subscription (got two free weeks), added all my shows there just in case, then watched all of my recordings and cancelled the cable. But I found out that youtube TV pretty much has all the back episodes of most series as 'on demand" anyway, at least for the last season, but often all seasons.
    Interestingly most consumer advocates say early Fall is the best time to renegotiate a deal or even move since a lot of households cut back after their kids heads off to college.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Interestingly most consumer advocates say early Fall is the best time to renegotiate a deal or even move since a lot of households cut back after their kids heads off to college.
      I tried to get my cable company to lower my bill first, but since Charter bought them out they won't do it. They only offered to cut my services to get me a lower price. So I told them to shove it.

Comment

I tried to get my cable company to lower my bill first, but since Charter bought them out they won't do it. They only offered to cut my services to get me a lower price. So I told them to shove it.
        I go to war with them every year.

First demand to speak to "Customer Loyalty" not "Customer Service." The latter won't do anything and don't care.

When I dropped Comcast I bundled my internet, phone and cable together with AT&T in 2012. This year, for the first time, I'm paying more than what I originally agreed to (last year was about $5 less).

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I go to war with them every year.

First demand to speak to "Customer Loyalty" not "Customer Service." The latter won't do anything and don't care.

When I dropped Comcast I bundled my internet, phone and cable together with AT&T in 2012. This year, for the first time, I'm paying more than what I originally agreed to (last year was about $5 less).
          I did all that. But they just didn't care. AFTER I quit, I got some calls trying to get me back, but by then I was glad I quit. I like the streaming services better. I can watch my shows anywhere, on my phone or laptop. It's cheaper. And I have an unlimited DVR. The interface of youtube TV could be better (especially the live tv guide) but other than that, it's great.

Comment

I did all that. But they just didn't care. AFTER I quit, I got some calls trying to get me back, but by then I was glad I quit. I like the streaming services better. I can watch my shows anywhere, on my phone or laptop. It's cheaper. And I have an unlimited DVR. The interface of youtube TV could be better (especially the live tv guide) but other than that, it's great.
            Until this last time every customer loyalty person I talked with was great. This time I forgot about my contract expiring and got stuck with a $50 increase for that month. When I called the person I talked to seemed very interested in trying to give me the least possible. I wonder if he used to work for an insurance company.

He first claimed that all there was was a package for $15 less. Then later said he found one for $20 off. And then $25. Each time he would then take a long pause and not say anything. Neither would I. It's an old sales trick but one I'm very familiar with. Usually the first one to talk after an offer has been made "loses."

Finally when he realized I would be cancelling not just the cable but internet and phone as well (they were bundled) and wanted to set up a date for them to come pick up the equipment he got serious. He then found a deal that hadn't been showing up previously -- $35 off. That would mean a $10 increase over my 2012 bill and I agreed.

I got an email yesterday from AT&T offering some perks to their loyal customer. Since I have HBO I now have access to "HBO MAX," which offers a lot more shows and even movies that have just been released in theater

Comment

Until this last time every customer loyalty person I talked with was great. This time I forgot about my contract expiring and got stuck with a $50 increase for that month. When I called the person I talked to seemed very interested in trying to give me the least possible. I wonder if he used to work for an insurance company.

He first claimed that all there was was a package for $15 less. Then later said he found one for $20 off. And then $25. Each time he would then take a long pause and not say anything. Neither would I. It's an old sales trick but one I'm very familiar with. Usually the first one to talk after an offer has been made "loses."

Finally when he realized I would be cancelling not just the cable but internet and phone as well (they were bundled) and wanted to set up a date for them to come pick up the equipment he got serious. He then found a deal that hadn't been showing up previously -- $35 off. That would mean a $10 increase over my 2012 bill and I agreed.

I got an email yesterday from AT&T offering some perks to their loyal customer. Since I have HBO I now have access to "HBO MAX," which offers a lot more shows and even movies that have just been released in theater
              Be very careful about those...last time they gave me that, it was a 1 year free, then it automatically started billing for it the next year. I had to call and cancel it, but by that time they had gotten 2 months of charges from me.
              "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post

Be very careful about those...last time they gave me that, it was a 1 year free, then it automatically started billing for it the next year. I had to call and cancel it, but by that time they had gotten 2 months of charges from me.
                I didn't approve it nor sign up for it so they could find themselves in trouble if they start charging me for it.

Comment

I didn't approve it nor sign up for it so they could find themselves in trouble if they start charging me for it.
                  This thread is about cord cutting, not cord keeping!!!

Burn the heretic!!!

Comment

This thread is about cord cutting, not cord keeping!!!

Burn the heretic!!!
                    I guess you finally figureated out that you cannot ban the unbannibatable and are trying a new tactic.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      I guess you finally figureated out that you cannot ban the unbannibatable and are trying a new tactic.
                      I am gonna call your cable company and get you banned!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I am gonna call your cable company and get you banned!
                        1-800-288-2020.

And you can tell them what you think is my actual name is.

Comment

1-800-288-2020.

And you can tell them what you think is my actual name is.
                          rogue06 isn't your real name? Have you been lying to us all these years, you double naught spy?

Comment

All my friends loved Land of the Giants. I never saw the attraction. Time Tunnel though I really enjoyed.
                            Agreed. Land of the Giants was a one-trick pony; once you've seen the people/giants interact once, there's not much more to see.

The second episode of Time Tunnel is possibly the best thing Irwin Allen ever did. Well, the script is pretty clever.

Comment

• I still have 100-channel basic cable that comes free with my Internet from Sudden Link. No one in my house ever watches it, we all watch streams.

Comment

As for Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea... I watched it again in the 90s at my mother's place because it was on the Science Fiction channel (now Syfy) which for some reason was not available in a five square mile area that I lived even though it was the same provider (that continued for a couple of years). After it was over I turned to my mother and apologized for making her and my father having to endure it while my brother and I were transfixed by it.

It. Was. Awful. I cannot think of a single redeeming feature it had. The acting. The sets. The special effects. The scripts. All weren't bottom of the barrel -- the barrel was setting on top of them.
                                I've been watching various Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea episodes. I can't help but laugh when every time the Seaview tilts, fireworks shoot out of the blinking-light equipment. Shooting sparklers.

Comment