Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Cord Cutting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I use Plex to store all of my media, movies, TV shows, music.

It has a DVR feature built in that can use the Silicon Dust HD Homerun box. It has a built in TV guide and once you set up your DVR software to use the HD Homerun, you can just choose which shows you want to record and it will do it all for you.

https://www.plex.tv/

It has apps for nearly all computers and devices, including Xbox.
    I'm definitely going to check that out! Thanks! What device are you using plex with? I was thinking about maybe moving to a Roku or firestick which are quite a bit cheaper than an Xbox.
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post

I'm definitely going to check that out! Thanks! What device are you using plex with? I was thinking about maybe moving to a Roku or firestick which are quite a bit cheaper than an Xbox.
      I use the main server program on my windows computer and have my files saved on my NAS network drive. The way it works is that you have a server program that runs all the time, doing all the library and recording work in the background. Then you run a client program on your other devices to view the media. Plex server will also download thumbnails and information for all of your media.

I run the client software on my Roku devices and on my iPhone. So basically you can access your media from anywhere in the world. You don't have to be on your local network. I have the full paid version called Plex Pass. I don't know what limitations the free version has since I bought it long time ago.

I am also not sure if the server will run on Xbox, but I think it does. If not you would have to run the server on your windows computer but the xbox could still be a client.

Comment

so according to this https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/commen..._media_server/

the Xbox can't be the server, but it can be the client/player.

And I think the DVR function might be only for paid versions. If so, they have a $4.99 a month plan that would be good to try it out with, but if you like it, it's cheaper to pay the $119 lifetime way.

Comment

so according to this https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/commen..._media_server/

the Xbox can't be the server, but it can be the client/player.

And I think the DVR function might be only for paid versions. If so, they have a $4.99 a month plan that would be good to try it out with, but if you like it, it's cheaper to pay the $119 lifetime way.
          Ok, so, I just re-read my post and I didn't mention the reason(s) for needing to update my setup. My HTPC gave up the ghost. System/mother board is out. AND my daughter is moving and taking her Xbox with her. So, I was trying to find a less expensive setup that will work with my HD homerun without buying a new pc and an Xbox. So far, it's not looking good.
          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Ok, so, I just re-read my post and I didn't mention the reason(s) for needing to update my setup. My HTPC gave up the ghost. System/mother board is out. AND my daughter is moving and taking her Xbox with her. So, I was trying to find a less expensive setup that will work with my HD homerun without buying a new pc and an Xbox. So far, it's not looking good.

Sorry. Yeah you would need a computer. But as far as I know it isn't a big resource hog and would run on even a laptop (the plex server).

Comment

I opened a thread on HD Homerun forums and turns out they already have the perfect answer. HD Homerun Servio. Plug and play DVR for HD Homerun tuners. $149 and comes with 1 year of DVR subscription. ($35/yr). No pc or extra stuff needed, it works with a Firestick which I already have.

Comment

OK so I signed up for Youtube TV (they currently have a two week trial, if you hurry)

I am going to keep both YTV and my cable in parallel for a while to see if I like it. So far there were only 2 or 3 shows that I want to watch but aren't available on YTV (it doesn't have paramount or history), like "Curse of Oak Island" and "Yellowstone" - but I can watch those on their respective channel's apps (I think). If not, I guess I will do without.
                So, it's been over a year now since I cut the cord. I don't miss cable at all.

In fact, I just added Paramount + and am thinking of adding Discovery Plus. I have a free week of Paramount + to decide before my cc gets charged. So far it's not bad. Been watching the Star Trek shows (Discovery and Lower Decks [cartoon but very funny]).

I have the following streaming services:

Netflix
                Youtube TV
                Prime Video
                Paramount +

And sometimes I borrow my brother's Hulu account if there is something I really want to watch, but It's not worth it to have a full time subscription.

I did have a free year of Apple TV +, and it has a few shows I like but not enough to keep paying for it for now. I might change my mind later, they are supposed to be starting a show on Isaac Asimov's Foundation series. I can always wait a few years and then get it later to watch that show then cancel again.

Comment

In fact, I just added Paramount + and am thinking of adding Discovery Plus. I have a free week of Paramount + to decide before my cc gets charged. So far it's not bad. Been watching the Star Trek shows (Discovery and Lower Decks [cartoon but very funny]).

Netflix
                  Youtube TV
                  Prime Video
                  Paramount +

And sometimes I borrow my brother's Hulu account if there is something I really want to watch, but It's not worth it to have a full time subscription.

I did have a free year of Apple TV +, and it has a few shows I like but not enough to keep paying for it for now. I might change my mind later, they are supposed to be starting a show on Isaac Asimov's Foundation series. I can always wait a few years and then get it later to watch that show then cancel again.
                  How will your monthly payments compare to what you were paying for cable? Also, do you ever use some of the free apps like IMDb, Pluto TV, etc? We've been watching Corner Gas and Still Standing on IMDb. Love them both!

I pay for Netflix and Hulu. My daughter pays for Amazon Prime and Disney. We pay for the multi user versions and share. I think I'm paying about $45/mo. vs $120/mo. when on DirectTV

Comment

Netflix
                    Youtube TV
                    Prime Video
                    Paramount +

Yup - we're "streaming only", and managing to get by just fine.
                    One of my streams was AT&T TV, and I called them to complain that they were charging WAY too much for what they provided, so they cut it back $20/mo for a year*.

ETA --- $20/mo less than original price for a year.
                    Last edited by Cow Poke; 07-30-2021, 07:54 PM.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

How will your monthly payments compare to what you were paying for cable? Also, do you ever use some of the free apps like IMDb, Pluto TV, etc? We've been watching Corner Gas and Still Standing on IMDb. Love them both!

I pay for Netflix and Hulu. My daughter pays for Amazon Prime and Disney. We pay for the multi user versions and share. I think I'm paying about $45/mo. vs $120/mo. when on DirectTV
                      Yeah I watch the free channels too. Been watching Leverage: Redemption on IMDB (it appears as part of my Amazon Prime channels) and Corner Gas.

I was paying like $175 for my cable. I think I am paying about $100 month for my streaming channels. Youtube TV is $65/month. I am paying $14/month for netflix, but I had that in addition to my cable before. and I have Amazon prime for the shipping but it includes Prime video (works out to be about $10/month) which I also had along with cable before. The Paramount Plus is $99/year or about $8.25/month broken out. So $100/month broken out for all of them, but $25 of it is stuff I was paying for even when I had cable.

Comment

So I added Discovery+ to my streaming services. At least the 7 day trial for now. I like watching history and science shows and sometimes cooking shows. it is $4.99/month with ads and $6.99/without ads.

I am not sure if I will keep it or not though. Seems like they are missing some of their most popular shows from their own service!
                        So far I noticed that they don't have the latest seasons of American Pickers (the only have like seasons 1,2,3, and 15 (they are on season 22 on cable right now) and they don't have the Curse of Oak Island on DSC+ at all! That's their most popular show I think. Some sort of licensing deal with Hulu apparently.

I did a spreadsheet to calculate the monthly and yearly costs of the various streaming services.

The red ones are ones that I have that I am paying for yearly, Prime and Paramount + but I break it down to monthly for ease of comparison. The Paramount+ monthly cost would be $9.99 if I paid monthly (ad free) so I save $20/year by paying yearly, and Prime is only available yearly.

I don't have Apple, Peacock or Disney but I included them to see how much it would cost for everything. Everything together is still cheaper than I was paying for cable alone.
                        Service Monthly Yearly
                        Netflix + DVD $24.68 $ 296.16
                        Amazon Prime $9.92 $ 119.00
                        YouTube TV $64.99 $ 779.88
                        Paramount + $8.33 $ 99.99
                        Discovery + $6.99 $ 83.88
                        Apple $4.99 $ 59.88
                        Disney + $7.99 $ 95.88
                        Peacock $9.99 $ 119.88
                        Total $137.88 $ 1,654.55

Comment

Also I have been thinking. for those services I don't watch all the time, for example, I tend to watch Netflix a few times a year when the new seasons are released and then don't watch it again for months, it could be beneficial to just start and stop my subscriptions instead of paying for them year around. Just wait till new seasons are released, sign back up and watch them, then cancel the subscription till next time.

Comment

I've been re-watching several older series (yet again) like some of the Star Trek's (Voyager, Enterprise, DS9) and The original Stargate SG-1. I will probably segue into the Star Gate Atlantis when I reach the end of SG-1. Also just started watching Roswell and Manifest. Not sure if I'll continue with them or not.

Comment

Lots of history shows on History Vault.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Cinema and Nova (modern versions of Terrarium) are free an can be installed on Firestick. They now contain commercials at the end of any TV episode or movie viewed. They are clunky sometimes and streams are hit and miss, but it's better than watching commercials peppered throughout a single viewing.

I've been watching The Wild Wild West and Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea. I love campiness.

Comment