Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Cord Cutting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
    Cinema and Nova (modern versions of Terrarium) are free an can be installed on Firestick. They now contain commercials at the end of any TV episode or movie viewed. They are clunky sometimes and streams are hit and miss, but it's better than watching commercials peppered throughout a single viewing.

I've been watching The Wild Wild West and Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea. I love campiness.
    I can't find a Nova channel on my roku. Other than some spanish channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I can't find a Nova channel on my roku. Other than some spanish channel.
      Roku doesn't allow third-party installations (at least, they didn't when I used it).

This is the Nova I'm talking about:
      https://www.novatvapk.com/

Comment

Roku doesn't allow third-party installations (at least, they didn't when I used it).

This is the Nova I'm talking about:
        https://www.novatvapk.com/
        Ah, it's android. Firestick runs android OS but Roku doesn't/

Comment

Cinema and Nova (modern versions of Terrarium) are free an can be installed on Firestick. They now contain commercials at the end of any TV episode or movie viewed. They are clunky sometimes and streams are hit and miss, but it's better than watching commercials peppered throughout a single viewing.

I've been watching The Wild Wild West and Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea. I love campiness.
          I loved WWW growing up. It was actually a major influence on me. And I still enjoy the show although I cringe at the horribly choreographed fight scenes.

As for Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea... I watched it again in the 90s at my mother's place because it was on the Science Fiction channel (now Syfy) which for some reason was not available in a five square mile area that I lived even though it was the same provider (that continued for a couple of years). After it was over I turned to my mother and apologized for making her and my father having to endure it while my brother and I were transfixed by it.

It. Was. Awful. I cannot think of a single redeeming feature it had. The acting. The sets. The special effects. The scripts. All weren't bottom of the barrel -- the barrel was setting on top of them.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Ah, it's android. Firestick runs android OS but Roku doesn't/
            I see Cinema can be downloaded on Roku now. It's about the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              I loved WWW growing up. It was actually a major influence on me. And I still enjoy the show although I cringe at the horribly choreographed fight scenes.

As for Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea... I watched it again in the 90s at my mother's place because it was on the Science Fiction channel (now Syfy) which for some reason was not available in a five square mile area that I lived even though it was the same provider (that continued for a couple of years). After it was over I turned to my mother and apologized for making her and my father having to endure it while my brother and I were transfixed by it.

It. Was. Awful. I cannot think of a single redeeming feature it had. The acting. The sets. The special effects. The scripts. All weren't bottom of the barrel -- the barrel was setting on top of them.
              That's what's so good about shows like that, how bad they were. Makes them hilariously campy. Like Lost in Space. I love those really bad sci-fi movies from the 50's and 60's. Get some friends and some popcorn and have your very own Mystery Science Theater 3000 session of making fun of all of the really bad acting and special effects.

Comment

Robert Conrad choreographed a lot of those scenes after he convinced the producers to let him perform his own stunts. Then he got a concussion from falling from a chandelier, and things changed.

Oh, I know. It's cheesy and dopey. It started off as an underwater espionage show, but morphed into a wet Lost In Space.

Hey, if you're into sci-fi, watch the "Force of Life" episode of Space 1999. Yeah, cheesy sets and props, but I just watched it (again) recently and it is a good story and scary.

Comment

I see Cinema can be downloaded on Roku now. It's about the same thing.
                  Yeah a lot of those channels have the same content. I added Cinema. On the Roku, they have Filmrise, Roku channel, Stirr, Pluto TV, Tubi, Crackle, Xumo, etc. They all seem to have the same movies and TV shows.

I like the idea of having the ads at the end, so I will try Cinema.

Comment

Robert Conrad choreographed a lot of those scenes after he convinced the producers to let him perform his own stunts. Then he got a concussion from falling from a chandelier, and things changed.
                    Yup. Got hurt pretty bad. IIRC the actor who portrayed Dr. Miguelito Loveless, Michael Dunn, broke his leg doing a stunt (resulting in his character having to wear a cast), which apparently endeared him with Conrad and his stunt crew buddies. He became "one of them."

The biggest problem was that the scenes were obviously done in one shot, with no reshoots. So when someone missed their mark it was really obvious.

Oh, I know. It's cheesy and dopey. It started off as an underwater espionage show, but morphed into a wet Lost In Space.

Hey, if you're into sci-fi, watch the "Force of Life" episode of Space 1999. Yeah, cheesy sets and props, but I just watched it (again) recently and it is a good story and scary.
                    Given that Voyage and LiS used the same props and costumes that isn't a surprise. One week the latter would run across some humanoid creature and a week later Voyage would encounter it as a giant underwater version.

While LiS was campy fun, thanks in large part due to the interplay between Will, the robot and Dr. Smith, Voyage was just cringe worthy.

However I did learn from Voyage that if a lethal exposure to radiation is 5 minutes and if you're exposed for 4 minutes and 59 seconds you'll suffer no adverse effects whatsoever. And if you do, you'll likely turn into a werewolf.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

However I did learn from Voyage that if a lethal exposure to radiation is 5 minutes and if you're exposed for 4 minutes and 59 seconds you'll suffer no adverse effects whatsoever. And if you do, you'll likely turn into a werewolf.
                      Well, duh!

Irwin Allen produced Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Lost in Space, Land of the Giants and The Time Tunnel. Not only did they all seem to use the same monsters and sets but pretty much the same guest stars from week to week. I thought the shows were campy and bad even before I knew what campy meant. Lost in Space was never a "good" sci fi show like Star Trek was. But I still liked to watch those shows as a kid. I remember having a Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea toy submarine I played with in the bathtub.

Comment

Well, duh!

Irwin Allen produced Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Lost in Space, Land of the Giants and The Time Tunnel. Not only did they all seem to use the same monsters and sets but pretty much the same guest stars from week to week. I thought the shows were campy and bad even before I knew what campy meant. Lost in Space was never a "good" sci fi show like Star Trek was. But I still liked to watch those shows as a kid. I remember having a Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea toy submarine I played with in the bathtub.
                        ECREE!!! You never bathed. You still have crud on you from when you were an infink!

Lots of shows back then were produced by just a hand full of people. Remember "this has been a Quinn Martin production" at the end of how many shows? But only Irwin Allen's were so cheap and chintzy.

None of those shows were science fiction. They pretty much just used it as a setting (in space, in a sub, in time...).

All my friends loved Land of the Giants. I never saw the attraction. Time Tunnel though I really enjoyed.

Comment

We have had AT&T TV, and about the only thing we didn't like about it was the interface.
                          Supposedly, AT&T is morphing into (or being replaced by) DirecTV Stream any day now.

We shall see.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            We have had AT&T TV, and about the only thing we didn't like about it was the interface.
                            Supposedly, AT&T is morphing into (or being replaced by) DirecTV Stream any day now.

We shall see.
                            I still have Uverse. They've been encouraging me to shift but I've got hundreds of movies and shows on my DVR that would be lost.

Comment

I still have Uverse. They've been encouraging me to shift but I've got hundreds of movies and shows on my DVR that would be lost.
                              I waited until the summer slump, started up my youtube TV subscription (got two free weeks), added all my shows there just in case, then watched all of my recordings and cancelled the cable. But I found out that youtube TV pretty much has all the back episodes of most series as 'on demand" anyway, at least for the last season, but often all seasons.

Comment

All my friends loved Land of the Giants. I never saw the attraction. Time Tunnel though I really enjoyed.
                                I liked time tunnel well enough, but I think Time Express was superior - and Early Edition was good too.
                                Last edited by tabibito; 08-26-2021, 10:29 AM.
                                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                                Scripture before Tradition:
                                but that won't prevent others from
                                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment