Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Cord Cutting

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post

    I use Plex to store all of my media, movies, TV shows, music.

    It has a DVR feature built in that can use the Silicon Dust HD Homerun box. It has a built in TV guide and once you set up your DVR software to use the HD Homerun, you can just choose which shows you want to record and it will do it all for you.

    https://www.plex.tv/


    It has apps for nearly all computers and devices, including Xbox.
    I'm definitely going to check that out! Thanks! What device are you using plex with? I was thinking about maybe moving to a Roku or firestick which are quite a bit cheaper than an Xbox.
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

    "... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post

      I'm definitely going to check that out! Thanks! What device are you using plex with? I was thinking about maybe moving to a Roku or firestick which are quite a bit cheaper than an Xbox.
      I use the main server program on my windows computer and have my files saved on my NAS network drive. The way it works is that you have a server program that runs all the time, doing all the library and recording work in the background. Then you run a client program on your other devices to view the media. Plex server will also download thumbnails and information for all of your media.

      I run the client software on my Roku devices and on my iPhone. So basically you can access your media from anywhere in the world. You don't have to be on your local network. I have the full paid version called Plex Pass. I don't know what limitations the free version has since I bought it long time ago.

      I am also not sure if the server will run on Xbox, but I think it does. If not you would have to run the server on your windows computer but the xbox could still be a client.

      Comment


      • #63
        so according to this https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/commen..._media_server/

        the Xbox can't be the server, but it can be the client/player.

        And I think the DVR function might be only for paid versions. If so, they have a $4.99 a month plan that would be good to try it out with, but if you like it, it's cheaper to pay the $119 lifetime way.


        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          so according to this https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/commen..._media_server/

          the Xbox can't be the server, but it can be the client/player.

          And I think the DVR function might be only for paid versions. If so, they have a $4.99 a month plan that would be good to try it out with, but if you like it, it's cheaper to pay the $119 lifetime way.
          Ok, so, I just re-read my post and I didn't mention the reason(s) for needing to update my setup. My HTPC gave up the ghost. System/mother board is out. AND my daughter is moving and taking her Xbox with her. So, I was trying to find a less expensive setup that will work with my HD homerun without buying a new pc and an Xbox. So far, it's not looking good.
          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

          "... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post

            Ok, so, I just re-read my post and I didn't mention the reason(s) for needing to update my setup. My HTPC gave up the ghost. System/mother board is out. AND my daughter is moving and taking her Xbox with her. So, I was trying to find a less expensive setup that will work with my HD homerun without buying a new pc and an Xbox. So far, it's not looking good.

            Sorry. Yeah you would need a computer. But as far as I know it isn't a big resource hog and would run on even a laptop (the plex server).

            Comment

            Related Threads

            Collapse

            Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by Heero Yuy, 06-11-2021, 05:33 PM
            0 responses
            22 views
            0 likes
            Last Post Heero Yuy  
            Started by rogue06, 06-10-2021, 09:08 PM
            2 responses
            30 views
            1 like
            Last Post rogue06
            by rogue06
             
            Started by Sparko, 05-10-2021, 12:58 PM
            21 responses
            59 views
            0 likes
            Last Post Ana Dragule  
            Started by Sparko, 05-03-2017, 11:38 AM
            64 responses
            13,501 views
            0 likes
            Last Post Sparko
            by Sparko
             
            Working...
            X