Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Anime and Japanese History Derail Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recently Toonami on Cartoon Network had Shenume, where the fighting is realistic (not a super power in sight) and a good storyline (I hope they complete it), and a bit layer a four part series Housing Complex C that gets dark toward the end that was pretty good.

And then there is Made in Abyss, which can get incredibly dark and weird.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Not exactly - she knows that she's supposed to be evil, but doesn't really understand what it means.
      I think that falls under a subcategory of the incompetent/inept villain, sometimes referred to as the "harmless villain" as there can often be overlap. Invader Zim falls into that trap too. He can be a real threat, but most of the time he's just terrible at his job as an invader. If it weren't for the fact that 99% of the entire Earth is complete morons in that series he would never make it past the first episode. The Amoeba Boys* are the big example they give on the TV Tropes webpage for the harmless villain even though they do separate the two.

*The one time they cause harm on a large scale is entirely by accident.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Recently Toonami on Cartoon Network had Shenume, where the fighting is realistic (not a super power in sight) and a good storyline (I hope they complete it), and a bit layer a four part series Housing Complex C that gets dark toward the end that was pretty good.

And then there is Made in Abyss, which can get incredibly dark and weird.
        I've heard of Shenmue, which started as a video game. I actually have Shenmue 1 and 2 on Steam. Definitely more grounded for what bit I got to play. Your hope that they complete it is unlikely given that the games never completed the story even after the recent release of Shenmue 3. I haven't heard of Housing Complex C, but sounds interesting. I have heard of Made in Abyss as they recently made a video game of it because it is so popular. I'll have to check those out.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

I think that falls under a subcategory of the incompetent/inept villain, sometimes referred to as the "harmless villain" as there can often be overlap. Invader Zim falls into that trap too. He can be a real threat, but most of the time he's just terrible at his job as an invader. If it weren't for the fact that 99% of the entire Earth is complete morons in that series he would never make it past the first episode. The Amoeba Boys* are the big example they give on the TV Tropes webpage for the harmless villain even though they do separate the two.

*The one time they cause harm on a large scale is entirely by accident.
          Close enough. Lilim is a wonderful character looking for a good story. Kawashita is excellent at producing good characters, and very good at giving them a chance to develop (not that you would know it from ichigo 100% - the anime kept all the froth and tossed out most of the beer), but she's not so good at giving them a good story to inhabit.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
          Scripture before Tradition:
          but that won't prevent others from
          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Close enough. Lilim is a wonderful character looking for a good story. Kawashita is excellent at producing good characters, and very good at giving them a chance to develop (not that you would know it from ichigo 100% - the anime kept all the froth and tossed out most of the beer), but she's not so good at giving them a good story to inhabit.
            That is unfortunately common across all of fiction. You get one or two good characters in an overall bad story. Unfortunately some people latch onto one or two good characters and then declare the work they are in as good purely on the basis of the character and nothing else.

Comment