Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Reacher!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    And blonde IIRC. That was the firs one I thought of as well, although I understand that Rice came to like the choice, but he just didn't match the character description at all.
    Cruise has the Church of Scientology behind him and they have a LOT of money. That's probably how he gets his roles.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Sparko View Post

      Cruise has the Church of Scientology behind him and they have a LOT of money. That's probably how he gets his roles.
      Then all of the other celebrities who are Scientologists should be steamed since many of them have stalled careers and are has-beens.

      I'm always still in trouble again

      "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Then all of the other celebrities who are Scientologists should be steamed since many of them have stalled careers and are has-beens.
        Travolta has had a pretty good career because of them.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Sparko View Post

          Travolta has had a pretty good career because of them.
          He had a pretty good career because he could dance, as well as do comedy and drama.

          But look at the list of celebrities in Hollywood who are Scientologists. Most don't have anything close to stellar careers. Many were like "one hit wonders," known because they were in one popular movie or TV show.

          I'm always still in trouble again

          "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

          Comment


          • #35
            [QUOTE=Sparko;n1351545]

            Cons: Reacher comes across as TOO capable. He has no flaws. Knows everything about any person or situation with a single glance. Can tell your life history by the way you tie your shoes. Not very believable. The only times he is actually in danger is the stereotypical boss fight where he gets beat up by a guy half his size. They need to make him more human. Even superman has some weaknesses. Also Alan Richter is not a very good actor in my opinion. Unless he is supposed to come across as an emotionless robot with no sense of humor.

            /QUOTE]

            I've watched the first two episodes, and so far I'm inclined to agree. Too tough, too good at unarmed combat, too clever. In a way, the problem for me is putting the tough and clever together. Rambo wasn't too bright but he just blasted his way through everything. Sherlock Holmes was an amazing detective, but didn't do a lot of fighting. Maybe he needs some kryptonite?

            Incidentally, and talking about Sherlock Holmes, try "Bordertown" on Netflix. It's made in Finland and dubbed in English. The main character has close to total recall and uses mental tricks to amalgamate the information he has. On the other hand his social skills are notable by their absence. He even has a brilliant nemesis, reminiscent of Moriarty. There's three seasons and a movie. Not sure if they will make a fourth season.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Alien View Post


              I've watched the first two episodes, and so far I'm inclined to agree. Too tough, too good at unarmed combat, too clever. In a way, the problem for me is putting the tough and clever together. Rambo wasn't too bright but he just blasted his way through everything. Sherlock Holmes was an amazing detective, but didn't do a lot of fighting. Maybe he needs some kryptonite?
              That's Reacher in the books, though. We are on episode 6, and I'm finding that the Reacher in the series is very much like the one in the books. Except he talks too fast in the series.


              Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

              Comment


              • #37
                Season 2 of Reacher!

                December 15!

                Prime!



                Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Alien View Post
                  Originally posted by Sparko View Post

                  Cons: Reacher comes across as TOO capable. He has no flaws. Knows everything about any person or situation with a single glance. Can tell your life history by the way you tie your shoes. Not very believable. The only times he is actually in danger is the stereotypical boss fight where he gets beat up by a guy half his size. They need to make him more human. Even superman has some weaknesses. Also Alan Richter is not a very good actor in my opinion. Unless he is supposed to come across as an emotionless robot with no sense of humor.
                  I've watched the first two episodes, and so far I'm inclined to agree. Too tough, too good at unarmed combat, too clever. In a way, the problem for me is putting the tough and clever together. Rambo wasn't too bright but he just blasted his way through everything. Sherlock Holmes was an amazing detective, but didn't do a lot of fighting. Maybe he needs some kryptonite?

                  Incidentally, and talking about Sherlock Holmes, try "Bordertown" on Netflix. It's made in Finland and dubbed in English. The main character has close to total recall and uses mental tricks to amalgamate the information he has. On the other hand his social skills are notable by their absence. He even has a brilliant nemesis, reminiscent of Moriarty. There's three seasons and a movie. Not sure if they will make a fourth season.
                  I took the liberty of fixing the formatting boo-boo at the end of Sparko's quote.

                  I prefer Richman to Cruz. He's at least 7 inches taller, and still about 4 inches shorter than the character in the books. I do question whether he bulked up that much without chemical assistance. He was much less bulky when he played "Arthur Curry" on Smallville 15+ years ago.

                  Rambo wasn't stupid. Especially if you watch the first movie, he *sounds* like a bag of hammers, but he's creative and great at improvising.

                  Holmes in the books claimed to "have some knowledge of Baritsu" (possibly meant to be "Bartitsu"). Use of it enabled him to survive at the Falls.
                  Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

                  Beige Federalist.

                  Nationalist Christian.

                  "Everybody is somebody's heretic."

                  Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

                  Proud member of the this space left blank community.

                  Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

                  Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

                  Justice for Matthew Perna!

                  Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

                    I took the liberty of fixing the formatting boo-boo at the end of Sparko's quote.

                    I prefer Richman to Cruz. He's at least 7 inches taller, and still about 4 inches shorter than the character in the books. I do question whether he bulked up that much without chemical assistance. He was much less bulky when he played "Arthur Curry" on Smallville 15+ years ago.

                    Rambo wasn't stupid. Especially if you watch the first movie, he *sounds* like a bag of hammers, but he's creative and great at improvising.

                    Holmes in the books claimed to "have some knowledge of Baritsu" (possibly meant to be "Bartitsu"). Use of it enabled him to survive at the Falls.
                    "Baritsu" was how Doyle wrote "Bartitsu" which was a martial art combining jujitsu, boxing, savate (a French form of kick boxing) and fencing (using a cane or walking stick in lieu of a sword). Never understood how that enabled Holmes to survive the fall though.

                    FWIU, it had a small resurgence in popularity a few years ago.

                    I'm always still in trouble again

                    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      "Baritsu" was how Doyle wrote "Bartitsu" which was a martial art combining jujitsu, boxing, savate (a French form of kick boxing) and fencing (using a cane or walking stick in lieu of a sword). Never understood how that enabled Holmes to survive the fall though.

                      FWIU, it had a small resurgence in popularity a few years ago.
                      It would be cool to have that style put in the Tekken series.

                      Comment

                      Related Threads

                      Collapse

                      Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by RumTumTugger, 02-06-2024, 12:54 PM
                      0 responses
                      13 views
                      0 likes
                      Last Post RumTumTugger  
                      Working...
                      X