Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Reacher!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Reacher!

    Just watched the first episode of the new series. SO much better than Tom Cruise in the movies.

    Alan Ritchson fits the character and acts the part very well. We're looking forward to about 24 seasons, one for each book!



    Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

  • #2
    Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    Just watched the first episode of the new series. SO much better than Tom Cruise in the movies.
    How anyone thought that Tom Cruise could realistically pass as a former military policeman, who had to subdue and arrest men whose day job was training to find ever more efficient methods to kill people, is beyond me.

    When inventing a god, it is imperative to claim that it's; invisible, inaudible and imperceptible in every way. Otherwise - when it appears to no one, is silent and does nothing - intelligent people are liable to become sceptical.
    - Anonymous

    When asked why Omniscient and Omnipotent God, chose to burn alive the children of two Middle Eastern cities, came the reply;
    “His hands were tied.” - DaveTheApologist

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Markus River View Post

      How anyone thought that Tom Cruise could realistically pass as a former military policeman, who had to subdue and arrest men whose day job was training to find ever more efficient methods to kill people, is beyond me.
      Yuh. He was way too short, to begin with, and somehow just didn’t have the military bearing that Reacher should have.

      This actor is much better. He actually spent time in the military, so he has that bearing. But, we noticed in the second episode that this guy talks way too fast. That seems to be the way with a lot of acting these days, and those of us who are older and somewhat hard of hearing have trouble keeping up.

      And Reacher has an easy way about him that belies the speed that this guy is portraying.


      Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by mossrose View Post

        That seems to be the way with a lot of acting these days, and those of us who are older and somewhat hard of hearing have trouble keeping up.
        Indeed. With today's propensity for mumbled dialogue, my wife and I are invariably gloomy when the subtitles are unavailable.
        When inventing a god, it is imperative to claim that it's; invisible, inaudible and imperceptible in every way. Otherwise - when it appears to no one, is silent and does nothing - intelligent people are liable to become sceptical.
        - Anonymous

        When asked why Omniscient and Omnipotent God, chose to burn alive the children of two Middle Eastern cities, came the reply;
        “His hands were tied.” - DaveTheApologist

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Markus River View Post

          Indeed. With today's propensity for mumbled dialogue, my wife and I are invariably gloomy when the subtitles are unavailable.


          Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

          Comment


          • #6
            I like the Lee Child books. I saw one Tom Cruise movie, but not the series.
            When I Survey....

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Faber View Post
              I like the Lee Child books. I saw one Tom Cruise movie, but not the series.
              I believe the series is brand new. The movies are lacking if you are familiar with the books. I have hopes that the series is better.


              Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

              Comment


              • #8
                I binged it yesterday. I liked it

                Pros: Good story, no obligatory wokeness or LBGTQLMNOP+ nonsense.

                Cons: Reacher comes across as TOO capable. He has no flaws. Knows everything about any person or situation with a single glance. Can tell your life history by the way you tie your shoes. Not very believable. The only times he is actually in danger is the stereotypical boss fight where he gets beat up by a guy half his size. They need to make him more human. Even superman has some weaknesses. Also Alan Richter is not a very good actor in my opinion. Unless he is supposed to come across as an emotionless robot with no sense of humor.

                I give it a 7 out of 10.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Markus River View Post

                  Indeed. With today's propensity for mumbled dialogue, my wife and I are invariably gloomy when the subtitles are unavailable.
                  I use subtitles for everything these days. In video games I often skip the dialogue after I'm finished reading what the characters are trying to say. I have an issue where I often have to listen to stuff over and over for it to process right*, but I can usually read it and absorb the information in one pass. I can handle not having subtitles, but it's not very convenient.

                  *The area where this is the most egregious is the difference in my proficiency in reading Japanese vs understanding spoken Japanese. I am still pretty early in learning the language, but still.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Markus River View Post

                    How anyone thought that Tom Cruise could realistically pass as a former military policeman, who had to subdue and arrest men whose day job was training to find ever more efficient methods to kill people, is beyond me.
                    While I have nothing against him, there have been a number of roles that Cruise got that left folks scratching their heads in wonder.

                    I'm always still in trouble again

                    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

                      I use subtitles for everything these days. In video games I often skip the dialogue after I'm finished reading what the characters are trying to say. I have an issue where I often have to listen to stuff over and over for it to process right*, but I can usually read it and absorb the information in one pass. I can handle not having subtitles, but it's not very convenient.

                      *The area where this is the most egregious is the difference in my proficiency in reading Japanese vs understanding spoken Japanese. I am still pretty early in learning the language, but still.
                      I have tinnitus in both ears, that seems to be getting a bit worse lately, so I usually leave the closed captioning on, or at least have it set to captions on rewind, so if I miss something I can rewind and it shows captions on the rewound portion. It's worse when they decide to play music in the background of the dialog.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        I binged it yesterday. I liked it

                        Pros: Good story, no obligatory wokeness or LBGTQLMNOP+ nonsense.

                        Cons: Reacher comes across as TOO capable. He has no flaws. Knows everything about any person or situation with a single glance. Can tell your life history by the way you tie your shoes. Not very believable. The only times he is actually in danger is the stereotypical boss fight where he gets beat up by a guy half his size. They need to make him more human. Even superman has some weaknesses. Also Alan Richter is not a very good actor in my opinion. Unless he is supposed to come across as an emotionless robot with no sense of humor.

                        I give it a 7 out of 10.
                        We’ve only seen the first 2 episodes, and, yes, I tend to agree with you that Richter is somewhat stiff. And he talks too fast.

                        But, if you’ve read the books, Reacher does not show much emotion. He keeps it inside. It’s there, but rarely expressed.


                        Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by mossrose View Post

                          We’ve only seen the first 2 episodes, and, yes, I tend to agree with you that Richter is somewhat stiff. And he talks too fast.

                          But, if you’ve read the books, Reacher does not show much emotion. He keeps it inside. It’s there, but rarely expressed.
                          Is he like a super Sherlock Holmes that can tell everything about a scene or person with a single glance? That was very annoying and unbelievable.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Sparko View Post

                            Is he like a super Sherlock Holmes that can tell everything about a scene or person with a single glance? That was very annoying and unbelievable.
                            Not that I recall. But he is very observant and can read situations better than the average guy. I think from his military police background he has learned to size things up pretty well.


                            Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by mossrose View Post

                              Not that I recall. But he is very observant and can read situations better than the average guy. I think from his military police background he has learned to size things up pretty well.
                              Having grown up in a military family and living on Army bases and dealing with MP's, I can say that they are no more observant than any other police officer, maybe less so since they just want to do their job then relax after a shift and there really isn't that much crime on a base other than fights breaking out and some thefts/shoplifting. Any real crimes are passed on to the CID, which is the Army's version of NCIS (CID = Criminal Investigation Division)

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by RumTumTugger, 02-06-2024, 12:54 PM
                              0 responses
                              13 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post RumTumTugger  
                              Working...
                              X